what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GScaleBruce

Building a Faller kit of a small farm house. 213 separate parts for a model that measures a rather small 77 x 57 mm floor plan. Fiddly and delicate in the extreme, but I enjoy building kits so that's not a complaint. Can't help wondering how difficult a Faller kit would have to be to fall into the category of "advanced" rather than "standard", though...
Bruce
My DB themed layout - Steinheim am Main My BR themed layout - Stoneham Yard My T-Trak module - Güterbahnhof Friesdorf
My SNCF modelling thread - Gare de Ligugé My layout planning thread - Peterhampton Junction

railsquid

Those would be the ones where you need an electron microscope, I believe.

paulprice

Sanding plywood storage trays-perhaps I should have used plastic

Zimonski

Quote from: steve836 on May 31, 2015, 09:41:13 AM
Quote from: Zimonski on May 31, 2015, 08:21:39 AM
I'm currently waiting for ballast to dry, then I'll be adding grass and weeds. Tried using Chinchilla dust (fine sand) mixed in with Woodland Scenics fine buff and grey ballast, just as an experiment, as it's so much cheaper and creates a slightly bleached weathered appearance. Quite happy with it so far :) It Gets lighter as it dries.

:photospleasesign:

I've just created an album and added a couple of pictures but when I click on the media button the pop-up box doesn't pop up?

Geoff

I have just finished wiring my Layout modification and have just had Loco's running on the layout and everything is tickety boo, now its time to get on with the scenery and buildings.

Oh and I have birthday money burning a hole in my pocket, more coaches and wagons I think.
Geoff

Caz

Quote from: Zimonski on June 03, 2015, 06:27:34 PM

I've just created an album and added a couple of pictures but when I click on the media button the pop-up box doesn't pop up?

Perhaps you haven't got Java enabled to run the scripts.

Here you go, I've used the smg code ID's to display them, you'll find this code under the picture in your album, just copy and paste the full line of code including the square brackets [smg id=xxxxx] into your post as another way of doing it, no other tags are needed. 

Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

steve836

KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Zimonski

Quote from: Caz on June 03, 2015, 08:48:58 PM

Here you go, I've used the smg code ID's to display them, you'll find this code under the picture in your album, just copy and paste the full line of code including the square brackets [smg id=xxxxx] into your post as another way of doing it, no other tags are needed. 

Ah Java script, that'll be what it was, thanks for that Caz!

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Zimonski on June 05, 2015, 07:59:10 AM

:hmmm: Java? Oh, of course - it's coffee time :thumbsup:  It's always coffee time at our house. :)
Thanks for reminding me.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Zimonski

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on June 05, 2015, 08:20:10 AM
Quote from: Zimonski on June 05, 2015, 07:59:10 AM

:hmmm: Java? Oh, of course - it's coffee time :thumbsup:  It's always coffee time at our house. :)
Thanks for reminding me.

Hmm, coffee flavoured porridge, now there's a thought :thumbsup:

Zimonski

On reflection, although the Chinchilla dust is cheaper, it has a lot of powdery dust in with it which can create more air bubbles that are hard to detect without poking around. It needs soaking alot more before applying the PVA/water/washing up liquid mix. Woodland Scenics light grey ballast is "safer" to use but it is still on backorder from the shop.
Cant seem to get everything from one shop at the moment - one shop cant get LH points, another cant get RH, another cant get ballast, it costs a fortune in postage and petrol! I wonder why the suppliers are struggling to supply?

daveg

Re Ballast, I have used Faller 171697 that looks and works well.

Hoping I have enough for the current job as it looks like this is discontinued. Looking back, Mod Sprintex has suggested in a 2014 post that WS Fine does a good job.

Here's a link that gives examples of colour:
http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/1000484/1000594/1000714/0/Woodland_Scenics_Any_or_Multiple_Scales_Minerals_Water_Rocks/prodlist.aspx

HTH.

Dave G

Bob Tidbury

Zimonski I think the problem is that someone goes into the shop and buys say 6 right hand points but only 2 left hand points and the dealer can't just order more right hand to make up his stock as Peco have a minimum order quantity. 
For instance Ray of BH Enterprises asked if he could stock The Railtec range of 2 mm transfers and was told the minimum order was for £500 which was just way out of the questioning would take years to sell them all and some would be left and some would sellout straight away but then he couldn't re order just the ones he had sold out of, and it's the same with lots of the bits he stocks brass buffers are another thing he has trouble ordering the guy he got them from put up the price and doubled the min order quantity to several thousand .I aggree its anoying for us buyers but it's also very difficult for the shop owner as well.
Bob

Zimonski

It must be frustrating for them and difficult to plan their business around.
No doubt Murphy's law strikes when they run low on a particular item, hundreds of people suddenly want them!  :'(

port perran

Cleaned all the track on Trepol Bay. Not my favourite task but it always amazes me just how dirty the track becomes and how much better the trains run after cleaning.  It's well worth the effort.
Having cleaned the track I've just spent a very pleasant hour or so running various trains around the layout. It's really relaxing just to run trains round and watch them go by (with a wee dram of Single Malt at hand!).
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations