what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Quote from: mr bachmann on May 31, 2015, 04:17:38 PM
the finishing touch's to a model village -
ex USAF officer working at Fylingdales EWS (Golf Balls) , would visit the local village loved it so much he bought the TV film set . Upon discharge from the USAF lands  a job with Roundhouse RR Co as tourism officer , then management confronted him with some spare land ... the rest is your imagination ...

[smg id=25468 type=preview align=center caption="IMG 2390"]

Smashing nod to 'Heartbeat'. How is dear old Bernie? :D

Jerry Howlett

Quote from:
I haven't got my camera handy so here are one or two which hopefully haven't been posted be

url=http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=13737][/url]

Roy

Hope I am correct as this has a great run down 1960's feel about it.
Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

mr bachmann

Quote from: newportnobby on May 31, 2015, 04:33:28 PM
[smg id=25468 type=preview align=center caption="IMG 2390"]

Smashing nod to 'Heartbeat'. How is dear old Bernie? :D

Fridge magnet from shop in Goathland , easy cut and build job .

Roy L S

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on May 31, 2015, 05:32:47 PM
Quote from:
I haven't got my camera handy so here are one or two which hopefully haven't been posted be

url=http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=13737][/url]

Roy

Jerry

Hi Jerry

The Waverley Route was earmarked for closure following the Beeching Report. If I recall correctly it was rather ludicrously considered a "duplicate" route. It remained busy, especially with freight but was gradually run down as the 1960s progressed. There was much resistance to closure meaning it didn't finally happen until January 1969 (as a through route - some truncated sections lasted a short while longer). By the early 70s pretty much the whole route had been lifted.

Regards

Roy 

Cooper

I've just finished digging out my collection of Neodymium magnets from under the track on Horseblock Lane and creating the much larger holes and fitting the Dapol magnets to replace them. The Dapol variety provides a much bigger target area for uncoupling and they're much less 'grabby' than the stronger Neodymium variety which used to pull down the bogies of lighter stock.

I'm hoping I can hide them well enough tomorrow night, just hope I can find the ballast mix I used before! The end result is I should be able to use a wider variety of stock on the layout at the next exhibition....

Newportnobby

Quote from: Cooper on June 01, 2015, 12:21:12 AM
I've just finished digging out my collection of Neodymium magnets from under the track on Horseblock Lane and creating the much larger holes and fitting the Dapol magnets to replace them. The Dapol variety provides a much bigger target area for uncoupling and they're much less 'grabby' than the stronger Neodymium variety which used to pull down the bogies of lighter stock.

Interesting to hear of someone reverting to the Dapol magnets :hmmm:
Are you using full length magnets as some have said you can get away with sawing them in half?

paulprice

Quote from: Roy L S on May 31, 2015, 04:18:37 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on May 31, 2015, 12:57:42 PM
How about some pics please, Roy? ;)

I haven't got my camera handy so here are one or two which hopefully haven't been posted before: -

Roy

What a brilliant layout, I know I have said this before but it needs saying again

steve836

KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Cooper

Quote from: newportnobby on June 01, 2015, 10:07:53 AM
Quote from: Cooper on June 01, 2015, 12:21:12 AM

Interesting to hear of someone reverting to the Dapol magnets :hmmm:
Are you using full length magnets as some have said you can get away with sawing them in half?

I suffered from experimenting with different sized Neodymium magnets when the couplings first came out so it was difficult to set up all the couplings to work with all the magnets. Some wagons would be grabbed by the stronger magnets, launching the other end in the air!

I've used full size Dapol magnets as my operators were asking for a bigger target area for positioning when uncoupling. They sit to one side at the front to shunt so the view of the layout is from an angle. We will have to see if the changes meet their approval!  ;D

PostModN66

Quote from: Cooper on June 01, 2015, 06:10:58 PM
I've used full size Dapol magnets as my operators were asking for a bigger target area for positioning when uncoupling. They sit to one side at the front to shunt so the view of the layout is from an angle. We will have to see if the changes meet their approval!  ;D

This should be taken as in no way a precedent that operators are entitled to get exactly what they want :worried:

Cheers  Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Roy L S on May 31, 2015, 08:45:26 PM
Quote from:

Roy

Jerry

Hi Jerry

The Waverley Route was earmarked for closure following the Beeching Report. If I recall correctly it was rather ludicrously considered a "duplicate" route. It remained busy, especially with freight but was gradually run down as the 1960s progressed. There was much resistance to closure meaning it didn't finally happen until January 1969 (as a through route - some truncated sections lasted a short while longer). By the early 70s pretty much the whole route had been lifted.

Regards

Roy

But unless I misread the map the Waverley route is going to be reopened (at least, a lot of it is, later this year (Sept?).
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

steve836

Between gardening and fitting furniture from my brother-in-law's kitchen into my nieces utility room, have made three more removeable scenery units for Cromford[smg id=25527 type=preview align=center caption="001"]
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Roy L S

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on June 01, 2015, 07:39:00 PM
Quote from: Roy L S on May 31, 2015, 08:45:26 PM
Quote from:

Roy

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Regards

Roy

But unless I misread the map the Waverley route is going to be reopened (at least, a lot of it is, later this year (Sept?).

Yes that's right. Thirty odd miles of it from the Edinburgh end through Galashiels to a terminus at Tweedbank. Sadly a good chunk of it is single track with a couple of double track sections they are calling "dynamic loops".

Quite a chunk remains closed through Hawick to Carlisle though. There has been talk of extending it further at some future point I believe but how credible that is I don't know. As I understand it there are not too many physical problems as far as Hawick.

Regards

Roy

D1042 Western Princess

Thanks Roy, the Scottish Region (or whatever they call themselves after privatisation) do magnificent things with their old railways in ways the rest of the country can't seem to manage.
Compare the 30 MILES you are talking about with the 400 yards of the Portishead line (near Bristol) that they can't manage to reopen for some silly reason, or the 10 miles of route through Okehampton to provide an alternative from Exeter to Plymouth.

D1042 Western Princess

Sorry Mods, we seem to be getting a bit off topic! :-[

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations