what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tdm

Don't know if I have posted this in the correct thread or not (I'm sure a Moderator will move it if not), but I am currently designing a form to use for recording my rolling stock inventory.

First of all I am downloading images of my locomotives and using MS Digital Imager and the "print labels" option to then insert them onto an A4 sized piece of paper and have printed it out to see how it looks.

Not put any Headings or text on yet but the intention will be to name the locos then in the blank space at the side of each one detail the rake(s) of wagons or coaches each one normally hauls.

Just spotted an error - I have copied 2 images of my green Class 08, when one of them should have been my blue "Ivor" one, but that can easily be rectified at the next go.

As well as helping remind me of what I have got and what combinations are in use, it can also be used for Insurance purposes.

What do you think?

daveg

It's a sensible idea to list your railway inventory. Whether it's just for your own records or for insurance and other valuations.

There are a number of folk on the forum that have been working on systems to produce a very comprehensive record, including service notes, etc.

I use a spreadsheet where I can insert small pictures and/or hyperlinks to such services as Wikipedia.

Dave G

Newportnobby

Today, I har mostly been gluing in trackside fencing and telegraph poles, although the method I used was somewhat tedious. Tomorrow I hope to be planting trees and then , if all looks OK, will post pics in my 'Bletchford' thread.

GeeBee

Having finally cleared a intermittent short from the track we are in the process of putting the rest of the scenery on the left hand third of the layout this could take a while plaster seems to be taking forever to set  :-[

paulprice

Don't forget to mix some PVA in with the plaster, it stops it cracking so much

Bob Tidbury

As well as PVA I mix in some brown paint then if it does chip or crack it doesn't show up white ,If you mix this to a smooth paste you can brush it on with a 1 inch paint brush make sure you wash out the brush as soon as you've finished the job IT will go hard and a ******* to clean afterwards.
Bob

paulprice

Good point, I forgot to mention the adding of paint, I must admit I miss the mess of carving polystyrene and adding plaster to a layout, its quite good fun!.

Maybe on my next layout I will have more rolling country side to play around with. well maybe on the layout after the next one, the plans I already have for Fosters streets replacement have an even more urban feel...oh dear

Oldman

Nothing at all as I currently do not have any layouts in any scale.
Trips to the tip with old baseboards and 3 black bin bags of old buildings later I shall be evaluating my modelling directions.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Busybee

Cleaning the layout for its next exhibition, its 169th show, its only exhibition this year. Already 2 bookings
for next year.

GeeBee

Quote from: paulprice on April 24, 2015, 09:26:44 AM
Good point, I forgot to mention the adding of paint, I must admit I miss the mess of carving polystyrene and adding plaster to a layout, its quite good fun!.

Maybe on my next layout I will have more rolling country side to play around with. well maybe on the layout after the next one, the plans I already have for Fosters streets replacement have an even more urban feel...oh dear
Many thanks to you and Bob for all your suggestions Pam and I are still learning to do this it's fun until I had to track down the short which unfortunately damaged some of Pam's scenery  not a popular result  :-[

deibid

Planted 20 Chinese street lights (yep, those from ebay) plus 4 leds for building lighting and a custom made light... only planted, next thing will be wiring all these tiny wires ...  :o  :doh:
Next station...

sparky

Nothing...had to spend most of the day trowelling out weeds one by one from my front "lawn".... Not sure whether this or ballasting is the most mind numbing??

jivebunny

Researching and planning. Or more precisely, researching and planning until my eyes drop out from staring at 1980s maps and photographs to try and figure out the exact track layout for my time period :goggleeyes:

JB

Newportnobby

Good grief! :goggleeyes:
What sort of space are you going to attempt to compress that into? :worried:

jivebunny

The 650 square foot one I negotiated with my good lady when agreeing to buy our dream house (which is far, far bigger than we actually needed) :D

JB

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations