what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malc

Quote from: EtchedPixels on June 03, 2014, 12:36:19 AM
Working out where I will need to saw it up in order to a) move it and b) fit it into its planned new home  :censored: :censored: :censored:

This wouldn't be Snow Hill would it?
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

GeeBee

Relaying all the fiddle yards for Martini Holt 12 metres worth this will take some time as I can only work for an hour then have to rest for 2-3 hours but hey ho i'll get there
:scowl:  :(

Caz

Just spend the whole weekend trying to find out why all my point accessory decoders stopped working, shut down Friday evening and they wouldn't work on Saturday morning! 

I had forgotten that the CML accessory decoders allow you to not run them directly off the DCC buss but allow you to use an additional 15v DC supply buss (this is in addition to a 18v AC supply for the motors) and it was this supply that had gone faulty.   It was one of those cheap pc bricks you can buy off of eBay and it had intermittent output, now replaced and all up running again.   :)
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Newportnobby

Cutting, laying and pinning the fiddle yard track for Bletchford.
Aaaargh - forgotten how painful Fishplate Finger or, to be more precise, Thumb can be :'(

Also, working at bed level (oo-er) doesn't help my back and neck one iota :no: :help:

daveg

Quote from: newportnobby on June 03, 2014, 05:23:27 PM
Aaaargh - forgotten how painful Fishplate Finger or, to be more precise, Thumb can be :'(

Also, working at bed level (oo-er) doesn't help my back and neck one iota :no: :help:

Have you tried working a (big) thimble? It may sound a bit daft but if it saves you pain it may be worth a go.

You can probably get a dozen plastic ones for a quid in Poundland. Other cheepy-type shops are available  :D

Dave G

steve836

Quote from: port perran on June 02, 2014, 09:30:40 PM
R

Took the opportunity to run in my new Q1. Why is it that it will run around at least 70 times no problem then derail (just when I pop downstairs to answer the phone)?
Its called sod's law
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

kardkits

I have some small end cutters which i find very useful for holding fishplates while trying to guide them onto the rail, they are also very good for holding track pins whilst tapping thru the sleeper, such a multi purpose tool they are good for stripping wire too :))

bridgiesimon

At the moment, I have a pile of wagons on my desk going through coupler change. All old couplings removed, blocks added ready for the MBD couplings and a pile of MBD couplings make up ready to fit.

Next job, finish weathering and detailing the wagons before fitting and checking all the couplings.

Best wishes
Simon

kardkits

Silly O'Clock hours this morning, unable to sleep, I tried to list some non railway items on feebay and ended up going to their live help where some kind lady tried to list the items for me, I took this opportunity to have a tidy up on my 2' x 4' test track and have a sort thru one of my boxes of goodies where i found well over 50 points of varying sizes, 4 crossings and a double slip, most of which I had forgotten about. I also found a peco turntable minus the well, I guess that is still at the ex's boooo.
Reading thru my facebook groups I found somebody gifting some plywood on freecycle, so fingers crossed, I may soon have something to start putting some of those turnouts onto. Mmmm, I shall have to keep a vigilant eye for anyone gifting softwood now for a framework lol
I also found some items I would like to sell on here as soon as my status allows me, some Tracksetta items and some setrack curves, i noticed the larger radius were by Lima, just need to have a more thorough sort out for those bits of track, I do prefer to use flexi track to my own required radius.
Andi

Newportnobby

Quote from: kardkits on June 04, 2014, 03:51:47 PM

I also found some items I would like to sell on here as soon as my status allows me

Just 4 more posts to go, Andi. Fill yer boots :D

Tdm

After enjoying a morning game of snooker, got home to find a parcel had arrived containing a new chassis for my Class 47. Tested it, put the "Gordie" body on it, and spent the rest of the afternoon enjoying myself playing trains on my almost completed layout. Just waiting for another parcel with some track and other items scenic items in it. Also made a device out of an old suede shoe brush for cleaning my locomotive wheels with - 2 wires attached to the bristles and at the other end a 12 volt adapter.

Lawrence

It has been many months (for a variety of reasons) but I did indeed find the shed today, it was still out in the garden, to my surprise.  Once inside it became quite obvious that the place was a complete disgrace, so I spent four hours moving stuff and hoovering, chucking out rubbish or 'that'll be useful' bits.
Never got as far as clearing the bench, maybe tomorrow  ::)  I'm sure I even saw some locos and rolling stock in there somewhere, one day, one day!

scotsoft

I use Kato Unitrack but I do have some Peco track which I use occasionally and for those fishplates I bought a pair of fine nose pliers from the £1 shop which can grip the end of the fishplate nicely  :D

No fishplate thumbs or fingers for me  :D  ;)

cheers John.

Quote from: Lawrence on June 04, 2014, 07:24:50 PM
It has been many months (for a variety of reasons) but I did indeed find the shed today, it was still out in the garden, to my surprise.  Once inside it became quite obvious that the place was a complete disgrace, so I spent four hours moving stuff and hoovering, chucking out rubbish or 'that'll be useful' bits.
Never got as far as clearing the bench, maybe tomorrow  ::)  I'm sure I even saw some locos and rolling stock in there somewhere, one day, one day!

Was Sir David Attenborough involved in this discovery?  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:

Newportnobby

Quote from: scotsoft on June 04, 2014, 07:32:48 PM

Quote from: Lawrence on June 04, 2014, 07:24:50 PM

Was Sir David Attenborough involved in this discovery?  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:

I'm surprised there wasn't a woolly mammoth in there :searchingsign:

Quote from: scotsoft on June 04, 2014, 07:32:48 PM

I use Kato Unitrack but I do have some Peco track which I use occasionally and for those fishplates I bought a pair of fine nose pliers from the £1 shop which can grip the end of the fishplate nicely  :D

No fishplate thumbs or fingers for me  :D  ;)

cheers John.

I have such a pair of pliers but when the fishplate then slips past the rail end into your hand it's worse than just having puncture wounds in thumbs! :ouch:

Terry - very nice pics :thumbsup: Full of colour and pin sharp.

Alycidon

Putting in the power bus to the tracks.  Using 12 way distribution boards (DCC Supplies),  really neat and no under board soldering.   2 in so far and rails all soldered up.  Another 4 + a 24 way to go.   Tested what I had done late yesterday and a loco gets most of the way round,  get the next one in and I could after 3 years run trains.

A

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations