what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tdm

Well - decided to make some more changes to my storeroom layout for better running & to make it a bit more interesting - so redesigned it again but still within the space restraints I have. Will need to order some new trackwork and sticking with Peco setrack. Will still be able to run 2 trains at once, but now got a bit more out and back and shunting options. I already have all my rolling stock and most of the scenery is there and won't need any additional points. Have only got an Anyrail image at the moment, but will also update the Scarm version so can see it in 3D as well and show all the rolling stock. Don't think there is much more I can cram into a small space. Here's what the changed layout "Anglezarke & Belmont Railway" now looks like.

Jameswgm

Just solved the problem of the derailing Voyager on the crossover; and a lighting problem. The previous owner had decided to insert the lighting chips in the wrong side of the socket, and had bent the pins to get a more secure fit. I must have taken the shells off at least 5 times to sort out what I'd thought was a loose connection before noticing that  :doh: Had to straighten the pins and refit around the right way. Guess the moral of the story is to take lots of pics when taking apart locos for the first time.

barnyswain

:( :( Nada to the layout

although I am trying to nplay with a card kit ... I have made 3 pin-prick holes so far but the steel rule seems to have gone AWOL and I need it to cut now

Bob Tidbury

Some friends in Canada gave me some N Gauge Bears for Christmas  and it took me awhile to think what to do with them . The it came to me, on a corner of my layout I could make a Safari Park using  OO security Fencing and some Spruce trees I could Have the Bears And paint some Large Noch dogs grey so they looked like wolves . I also bought a log cabin  from Unit Models to use as a Tearoom /Gift shop I think it will look Good.

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on March 25, 2014, 06:44:55 PM
Some friends in Canada gave me some N Gauge Bears for Christmas  and it took me awhile to think what to do with them . The it came to me, on a corner of my layout I could make a Safari Park using  OO security Fencing and some Spruce trees I could Have the Bears And paint some Large Noch dogs grey so they looked like wolves . I also bought a log cabin  from Unit Models to use as a Tearoom /Gift shop I think it will look Good.

An unusual idea (at least I've not seen it before) and a good use of the gift. Well done.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

port perran

Still fiddling with the new platforms at Port Perran station. Just making absolutely sure that my two most problematic locos (Class 52 and Class 08) can negotiate the curved platform (in the case of the long Class 52) and negotiate the parcels platform which I've squeezed in (have to be sure the outside framed 08 doesn't catch the platform edges).
Think I'm there now so assembling the platforms a bit at a time and waiting whilst glue dries !
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Bealman

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on March 25, 2014, 08:28:57 PM
Quote from: Bob Tidbury on March 25, 2014, 06:44:55 PM

An unusual idea (at least I've not seen it before) and a good use of the gift. Well done.
Yep, I think it's a great idea too. Please post some pics of the finished project!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ParkeNd

Cleaning bits of green tree foliage out of 3 points that had started playing up. There must be a case for designing a layout with no points.

trkilliman

Just putting some Dullcote on my Oxford Lodekkas. Why or why they are finished in high gloss I never understand. A word of warning though. I have found that the dullcote can lift transfers, so I give a sealing cote of Humbrol matt  varnish beforehand. This I find cures the problem.

Now to make up those dornaplas LS saloons. I have a thing for the Bristol buses...must stem from having helped make them!

Dave95979

filling the spaces between the joints on the rails by glueing sleepers underneath the track
note to self do this as i lay the track

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: ParkeNd on March 25, 2014, 11:38:04 PM
Cleaning bits of green tree foliage out of 3 points that had started playing up. There must be a case for designing a layout with no points.

One of the most boring, yet at the same time interesting and flexible, layouts I ever saw had no points, no buildings, not even a signal.
It was a double track layout running about half a (scale) mile, about 20 feet, across the baseboard and trains ran at high speed through flat countryside - and that was that. But it allowed ANYTHING to run over the last 90 years. One day it could have been a Scottish branch line in the 1930s, the next session a post privatisation ex LMR main line with Voyagers, HSTs and Class 70s.
Because there were no buildings, no road traffic, no railway structures of any kind beyond a bridge at one end and a tunnel at the other as scenic breaks, there was nothing to date the layout or to place it in a given geographical area.
As I said, boring (to operate) but a lovely idea for a show layout.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

MattJ

Laying down my goods sidings...

Some things to note:-
Channels cut in cork bed so the droppers don't go straight down.  Gives a bit of wiggle room.
USB mini vacuum cleaner to get rid of sawdust.
Dummy point motor template to check for clearances.
The nearby points will need to use an above board motor hidden in a building as it is directly above a batten.
They're there for their tea.

tutenkhamunsleeping

Carving expanded polystyrene into landforms.

Oldman

watching paint dry having painted the MDF to seal it.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Bealman

Nowt on me layout at the moment, but I watched a game of lawn bowls this morning which was very similar to watching paint dry  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations