what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodger112958

Just test run some locos on the two main lines of 'Ashdon' finished the laying last piece yesterday night and cleaned the track today. Amazingly it worked first time.  :bounce: :claphappy: :claphappy:
I finally have somewhere for my locos to stretch their legs apart from the train set oval.
Ian
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Newportnobby

Quote from: dodger112958 on November 12, 2013, 05:36:50 PM
Just test run some locos on the two main lines of 'Ashdon' finished the laying last piece yesterday night and cleaned the track today. Amazingly it worked first time.  :bounce: :claphappy: :claphappy:
I finally have somewhere for my locos to stretch their legs apart from the train set oval.
Ian

Yay - nice one, Ian :claphappy:

CarriageShed

Quote from: newportnobby on November 12, 2013, 09:29:23 PM
Quote from: dodger112958 on November 12, 2013, 05:36:50 PM
Ian

Yay - nice one, Ian :claphappy:

For some of us an oval is still only an ambition. Well done!  :)

Stuart

Sitting thinking I should junk my Elink! while waiting for my second 4CEP to turn up from Hattons

Stuart  ???

Luke

Trying to figure out how to change the frog polarity on the diamond crossing while also changing the LED lights on the control panel as well as changing the LED lights on four signals..... All with one DPDT switch.....
???
My head hurts.
:doh:
Can I use track power to run the lights?
There would be 6 LED's at any one time needing power. Hmmmm.

Croxy

Thinking of what I need to get at the building centre to start my benchwork.....whether I should use interior doors as the base or build the base.....and for my package from Hattons...... :goggleeyes:
If you like it run it......

daveg

Quote from: Croxy on November 13, 2013, 01:21:50 AM
Thinking of what I need to get at the building centre to start my benchwork.....whether I should use interior doors as the base or build the base.....and for my package from Hattons...... :goggleeyes:

A door can be a really rapid and cheap way of getting the board up. Add a couple of trestles and you're ready to start working on the layout!

Consider though if you want to use point motors as the hollow door may present a bit of a challenge when fitting them. I'm sure someone will come up with advice on that.

I elected to use ply and 2"x1" battens - plus a pair of Ikea trestles.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the build and please keep us posted.

Dave G

Bealman

Ah... wonderful stuff. A whole plethora of interesting problems and tasks!

Just remember, folks... while we still think like this we ain't pushing daisies up  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ParkeNd

Still bl**dy waiting for the GPO to deliver the terminal blocks that Hattons shipped at the weekend.

Should have chosen Yodel.

AndyGif

Currently all my stock is packed away, scenery nearly all removed  and packed away so it doesn't get damaged while awaiting better times.
In the mean time learning to use the airbrush i bought, learning 3D CAD/CAM and messing about with Arduino's for signaling and lighting effects.
But work and family are not giving me much free time to just play with any of it.

Bealman

Yeah, that tends to happen. Interested to hear you are experimenting with Arduino.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

AndyGif

Quote from: Bealman on November 13, 2013, 11:21:22 AM
Yeah, that tends to happen. Interested to hear you are experimenting with Arduino.  :thumbsup:
well you can thank one of your fellow country men for peaking my interest in arduino's and other electrickery bits and bobs.  Dave Jones(no not ex dapol dave, another one!!!) @ http://www.eevblog.com/ youtube channel.

Croxy

Quote from: daveg on November 13, 2013, 07:33:48 AM
Quote from: Croxy on November 13, 2013, 01:21:50 AM

A door can be a really rapid and cheap way of getting the board up. Add a couple of trestles and you're ready to start working on the layout!

Consider though if you want to use point motors as the hollow door may present a bit of a challenge when fitting them. I'm sure someone will come up with advice on that.

I elected to use ply and 2"x1" battens - plus a pair of Ikea trestles.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the build and please keep us posted.

Dave G

That's what I'm pondering however I thnk I'm going to use Kato Unitrack so point motors won't be an issue and after pricing everything out going the door route is somewhat comparable to building the baseboards from plywood and timber bracing........decisions, decisions.......

:hmmm:
If you like it run it......

CarriageShed

Quote from: AndyGif on November 13, 2013, 11:15:18 AM
Currently all my stock is packed away, scenery nearly all removed  and packed away so it doesn't get damaged while awaiting better times.
In the mean time learning to use the airbrush i bought, learning 3D CAD/CAM and messing about with Arduino's for signaling and lighting effects.
But work and family are not giving me much free time to just play with any of it.

I know the feeling of having everything packed away. My better times are building up now, with possible layout construction starting by February, but I really hope that you can find some better times yourself soon.

In the meantime, it's painting, or kit-building, or renumbering and general messing around for both of us.  :)

GeeBee

Hi, Martini Holt base boards 75% complete but I think I will have to redesign track plan SWMBO wants more scenic area ho humm I will just have to loose 20ft of track somewhere hoping to take some photo's next week
regards
Graham

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations