Semaphore Signals BR (S) 1957-63

Started by exmouthcraig, January 07, 2019, 11:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exmouthcraig

Good morning All, although we only have a handful of signals on this part of the layout, station is a long way off track yet,

What size was the white band on the red signal, well both bands on both signals to be fair. I'm currently painting a kit semaphore up at the moment but

1, I dont know how close to the end of the blade the band was?

2, how thick was that band? I'm guessing it would have to be about 2mm just to see it but .........

:thankyousign: Craig

Train Waiting

Craig

I have a stop signal arm in the shed.  It is BR (Sc) pressed steel but I expect that the dimensions will be the same (or near enough) as for BR(S).  I'll be glad to measure it for you if that helps.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

exmouthcraig

Next time your in there John, that would be fantastic thank you very much.

No rush, I should get back to working full days and spend less time in here building this layout really  :thumbsdown:

:thankyousign:  :thankyousign:  :thankyousign:

Craig

Delboy

Quote from: Train Waiting on January 07, 2019, 11:32:59 AM
Craig

I have a stop signal arm in the shed.  It is BR (Sc) pressed steel but I expect that the dimensions will be the same (or near enough) as for BR(S).  I'll be glad to measure it for you if that helps.

John
Hi John,
I too would appreciate the dimensions and, if at all possible a photo of your signal, as I am working on a 3D printed semaphore signal at the moment.
Regards Dennis.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Train Waiting

Hello Craig

White band is 7" wide.

From white band to end of signal arm is 121/2"

The reverse has the same dimensions, but white arm with the band in black.

Is this what you was looking for?

Hello Dennis

Thank you for your post.  Is the above sufficient for what you need?  If not, please let me know and I'll try to provide you with the information you require.

Best wishes, chaps.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

exmouthcraig

Beautiful thank you very much John

:claphappy:

Dennis your a SR Modeller aren't you?? We may need to talk about the possibilities of a purchase or 9  :laugh3:

GScaleBruce

Quote from: exmouthcraig on January 07, 2019, 03:17:43 PM
Dennis your a SR Modeller aren't you?? We may need to talk about the possibilities of a purchase or 9  :laugh3:
And although I don't have a BR(S) layout yet - or even in sight - I'd be interested to know more as well!
Bruce
My DB themed layout - Steinheim am Main My BR themed layout - Stoneham Yard My T-Trak module - Güterbahnhof Friesdorf
My SNCF modelling thread - Gare de Ligugé My layout planning thread - Peterhampton Junction

Train Waiting

Beautiful thank you very much John

:claphappy:

Many thanks, Craig.  I was convinced that the signal that's been in the shed for 20-odd years would come in handy one day.

Turns out I was right!

John

Delboy

Quote from: Train Waiting on January 07, 2019, 02:50:37 PM

Hello Dennis

Thank you for your post.  Is the above sufficient for what you need?  If not, please let me know and I'll try to provide you with the information you require.

Best wishes, chaps.

John

Hi John,
I appreciate the time and effort to sort the photos which will no doubt help me in my quest.
Regards Dennis.

Hi Craig,
When you ask if I am a SR modeller, I take it you are referring to my working (square post) semaphore signal video included in the topic - "My First Adventure Into 3D printing.
I chose the square post as it is easier, in N scale, to produce in 3D printing than a round post. However I have no doubt that as I get more proficient in the hobby, I will be able to sort signalling for other regions.
The signal functions via a servo beneath the layout and is controlled by a servo tester. Not very scientific but it is my personal intention to avoid using expensive servo controllers. However I have no doubt that these could be used on readily available controllers if the need arises. If you have any questions please PM me and I will keep you up to date with my progress.
Regards Dennis.

Quote from: GScaleBruce on January 07, 2019, 05:16:27 PM

And although I don't have a BR(S) layout yet - or even in sight - I'd be interested to know more as well!

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for your interest. Please refer to my above response to Craig.
Regards Dennis.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations