Farish buses start to arrive!

Started by Adam1701D, December 09, 2011, 07:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H

I've got a couple of the new buses and I'm waiting devlivery of some others which are on order.

Although they are very nicely finished I'm very dissappointed about the scale - the Bristol VRT is hopelessly underscale with doors measuring only 5'3" in scale height, the overall length is a tad under 29' (should be 32'9" or 36') and the width is just 7'6". The bus looks tiny and is very small when placed up against a 1:150 scale Fleetline DMS.

The Harrington Cavalier scales out at just under 28' but should be 30' for the original 'short' version.

Could someone please measure the Leyland National.

H.

BernardTPM

Worryingly, on passing those dimensions through a calculator, that sounds like they may be to 1:160 scale.

H

Quote from: BernardTPM on December 16, 2011, 02:07:15 PM
Worryingly, on passing those dimensions through a calculator, that sounds like they may be to 1:160 scale.

I was wondering about that especially as the packaging doesn't mention 1:148 scale (unlike the Farish railway stuff that does) and only says 'N Scale Buses'.

H.

Fratton

the mrs confirmed that amongst my stocking fillers is a leyland national,,,, look forward to getting it,,,
Charlie.

Lawrence

Quote from: tadpole on December 16, 2011, 09:52:11 AM
Whoah!
I was expecting a nice fleet of EFE models, not the real thing!

:smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

Aye, no longer a son of Fife, my wee bro is now a man of Kent apparently, and with his own fleet.

BTW if anyone in the south east needs white collar chauffeur hire or executive coach hire, don't bother mentioning my name to him he wont give you a discount - you can take a man out o Fife but you can never take the Fife out o a man  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

tadpole

Two rails good. Three better.

moogle

Quote from: Lawrence on December 16, 2011, 08:32:40 PM
Quote from: tadpole on December 16, 2011, 09:52:11 AM
Whoah!
I was expecting a nice fleet of EFE models, not the real thing!

:smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

Aye, no longer a son of Fife, my wee bro is now a man of Kent apparently, and with his own fleet.

BTW if anyone in the south east needs white collar chauffeur hire or executive coach hire, don't bother mentioning my name to him he wont give you a discount - you can take a man out o Fife but you can never take the Fife out o a man  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

He's neither me ol' china!
You're only a Man of Kent if you were born East of the River Medway.
If you were born west of the river, like me, you are a Kentish Man.
Sorry! He's still a Fife Man. (Or whatever terminology you use up there!)

Oh and BTW, never tell anyone born in Kent that they are from Essex, BIG MISTAKE!
Fierce rivalry stemming from way back in time.
Thankfully the River Thames seperates us!  :evil:
I may have lived north of the M25 for nearly a decade, but that part of me won't change.  :smiley-laughing:
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

PLD

Quote from: BernardTPM on December 16, 2011, 02:07:15 PM
We did the maths for the National and VR in the RMweb thread...
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49106-bachmann-n-gauge-buses-scenecraft/page__pid__561497#entry561497

Those two work out at aprox 157/158:1 in length and width but 1:160 in height. i.e. they are under height even for their own length/width...

bluedepot

disappointed about the buses being the non british n scale....

i guess if i move it away from any 1:148 vehicles it will look ok though????

tim

H

Quote from: bluedepot on December 20, 2011, 06:17:16 PMi guess if i move it away from any 1:148 vehicles it will look ok though

It'll still be on a 1:148 road next to 1:148 buildings, trains, figures and scenery. You'll need to rebuild all the scene around it to a smaller scale.

H.

bluedepot

that's a real f##k up by bachmann, any comment from them on this???

tim

EtchedPixels

Quote from: H on December 20, 2011, 07:16:49 PM
Quote from: bluedepot on December 20, 2011, 06:17:16 PMi guess if i move it away from any 1:148 vehicles it will look ok though

It'll still be on a 1:148 road next to 1:148 buildings, trains, figures and scenery. You'll need to rebuild all the scene around it to a smaller scale.

H.

Put it next to N gauge track, it'll be the trains that are wrong then ;)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Adam1701D

Taken delivery of some GF buses today, namely three Nationals, two VRs and a Lodekka. Have to agree wholehartedly with the comments regarding the scaling of these models. The Leyland National isn't too bad but the VR and Lodekka are tiny and positively dwarfed by the Oxford Routemasters.

There's nothing worse than a pair of undersized Bristols!  ;D

Now, I really need some white "London Country" NBC branding for the Leyland Nationals and will consider doing a vinyl strip to run along the roofline if no better alternative is available.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

bluedepot

what livery leyland nations did you buy?

tim

Adam1701D

United Counties green - I think they are the only ones out at the moment.

I'll be adding a couple of Green Line ones when they are available, not to mention a handful of Atlanteans!
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations