Dapol Dogfish - and a Happy Discovery

Started by Bob G, August 09, 2019, 08:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob G

Isn't it nice when you make a discovery that makes you smile.

I just discovered that the Peco granite 10' wagon load NR-201G fits perfectly into the dogfish hopper. Happy day! Instant ballast.

But I also discovered something else too.
The depth of the internal vertical ends of the hopper are different. They are shorter on the control wheel end than the plain end.
This is how they were built, and it slightly lifts the Peco wagon load at the control wheel end without fettling of the thickness of the wagon load.

Ah well, let's not lose that happy feeling...

Bob

exmouthcraig

That's good to know Bob as I have just managed to obtain a rake of 9, mostly different running numbered Dapol Dogfish wagons, with these 22 rare as hens teeth Sealions in Olive green, 12 grampus wagons, 6 Sturgeons on order the engineering sidings are looking pretty healthy.

If only I could get 2 Shark brake Van's for them  :'(

Steven B

The different end heights of the hopper are prototypical - the real things are asymetrical:
https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brdogfish

Appart from the thickness of the hopper side walls there's not much wrong with the Dapol Dogfish. It's a shame they've never re-released it, particularly as they've never done an Olive Green version.

Steven B.

PaulCheffus

Quote from: exmouthcraig on August 09, 2019, 08:16:08 AM
If only I could get 2 Shark brake Van's for them  :'(

Hi

Sharks are available from the N Gauge Society though I note they are currently out of stock. The kit makes up into a nice model.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Bob G

Quote from: Steven B on August 09, 2019, 08:42:11 AM
The different end heights of the hopper are prototypical - the real things are asymetrical:
https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brdogfish

Appart from the thickness of the hopper side walls there's not much wrong with the Dapol Dogfish. It's a shame they've never re-released it, particularly as they've never done an Olive Green version.

Steven B.

Blimey you're right. I never even thought about it! Well spotted. I'll change my post accordingly.

On the topic of liveries, I know they were first issued in grey with orange (or white) handrails with TOPS markings.
Then they issued black pre TOPS; rusty (presumably TOPS) and Dutch (TOPS).
Was the grey livery supposed to be olive, or when did this grey livery apply? I had always thought that it was supposed to be from the olive period and I intended to give it a dirty olive wash to help tone it down.

Best
Bob

Steven B

The all over grey and grey with orange stantions were post-privatisation liveries - the grey was possibly carried by Transrail owned wagons. The one with orange was based on at least one Loadhaul wagon although the whole ends of the hopper should have been orange.

Steven B.

Newportnobby

Think I got my Dogfish loads from Ten Commandments but they don't seem to list them any more so the Peco tip is a good 'un. Thanks

Bob G

Quote from: Steven B on August 09, 2019, 12:35:17 PM
The all over grey and grey with orange stantions were post-privatisation liveries - the grey was possibly carried by Transrail owned wagons. The one with orange was based on at least one Loadhaul wagon although the whole ends of the hopper should have been orange.

Steven B.

I'm definitely reverting mine back to olive then. Can't be doing with modern stuff!
I'm surprised Dapol have not reissued this model, as I can't see how the cost of the control wheels etc makes it any more time consuming than producing say a silver bullet, with all its extra parts.

Best
Bob

Steven B

I may be wrong but weren't the Dogfish one of the last wagons Dapol made in the UK? The cost of a re-run at UK wages, or the cost of moving tooling to China would probably make the wagons cost much more than most would be willing to pay.

We're unlikely to ever see a re-run of the Farish Sealions & Seacows for the same reason.

I wonder if there's a market for painted, but unbuilt kits? Something like the old Triang "Completely Knocked Down" range.

Steven B.

Bob G

Hmmmm.... Dapol do unpainted bodies, chassis and completed but unpainted models of other items.
Perhaps we can ask for unpainted Dogfish kits of parts?

There again, even if we did ask, I'm sure someone would complain that the kits were too expensive!
There is no pleasing folk.

Bob

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: Bob G on August 09, 2019, 02:40:42 PM
Hmmmm.... Dapol do unpainted bodies, chassis and completed but unpainted models of other items.
Perhaps we can ask for unpainted Dogfish kits of parts?

A most excellent idea, IMO :thumbsup:

exmouthcraig

Bob G

I've just posted to the Dapol Digest a summary of thoughts on the subject.
Lets see how long it takes for a reply.

Bob

Newportnobby

Don't hold your breath, Bob :no:
I've given up on that media long ago

Bob G

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 09, 2019, 09:27:43 PM
Don't hold your breath, Bob :no:
I've given up on that media long ago

turning blue at the gills....

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00