Kato/CJM/Farish Le Shuttle re-spray/decals?

Started by SGregory, November 30, 2022, 10:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGregory

Morning all,

I own 3 of the superb Kato/CJM/Farish Le Shuttle locos.  I was thinking about having at least one resprayed into the current Eurotunnel livery.

But i'm wondering if anyone knows of anywhere that might make the decals for them?  I've looked at the usual places (Railtec/Fox etc) and can't see anything specific.  That being said, it doesn't look like there is much in the way of signage on them anyway, only really the large Eurotunnel roundel and the  4 figure cab side numbers.

So, aside from the decals question - who would I approach to do this?  I'm no expert but the livery looks relatively simple to the untrained eye.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Simon

msr

Matthew, Chris's son, is beginning to sell the spares he's located in the CJM workshop. His eBay name is matmarc_2636

Here's a link to a Shuttle chassis he is selling, which appears to have decals in the lower right of the photo:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385261144408?hash=item59b35a8958:g:CiwAAOSw3D9jhIZc

SGregory

I appreciate the reply but, i'm looking for a supplier of the new (current) decals to go with the new livery.  I already have the original decals.

ntpntpntp

Other than the Eurotunnel stock what else would use Eurotunnel logos?       I can't imagine there would be much of a market for such decals so I wouldn't be surprised if no-one offers them ready-made.  You probably need to have them custom made (or make your own)?
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

SGregory

Quote from: ntpntpntp on November 30, 2022, 11:15:14 AM
Other than the Eurotunnel stock what else would use Eurotunnel logos?       I can't imagine there would be much of a market for such decals so I wouldn't be surprised if no-one offers them ready-made.  You probably need to have them custom made (or make your own)?

That's really what I was afraid of.  I was kind of hoping they'd be available but can see why they wouldn't be.  That being said, I do know a graphic designer who could potentially create the artwork in the correct format if I did opt to get them custom made.

njee20

Have a go yourself? Would you look to paint the blue 'swoosh', or do the whole thing as a decal? I'm not averse to having a go, but would want to measure the model. You don't need to do anything too fancy from an artwork perspective.

SGregory

Quote from: njee20 on November 30, 2022, 12:11:47 PM
Have a go yourself? Would you look to paint the blue 'swoosh', or do the whole thing as a decal? I'm not averse to having a go, but would want to measure the model. You don't need to do anything too fancy from an artwork perspective.

No I wouldn't - I know my limits and i'm no artisan.  Even though I have all the tools (air-brush, compressor etc) I wouldn't attempt it, the loco's cost me too much for me to attempt a ham fisted repaint.  Now that you mention the swoosh as a decal or paint - by the looks of it, that is really the key difference of the two liveries (aside from larger cab numbers).  The whole thing could possibly even be done with a vinyl....interesting.

njee20

Yes, although you then lose all relief. You could just do it via a decal and preserve the detail (although I accept they're fairly slab-sided).

You're after someone to actually refinish them as well then, are you? A partial respray seems unavoidable, that would be a +1 for vinyls.

SGregory

Quote from: njee20 on November 30, 2022, 12:55:26 PM
Yes, although you then lose all relief. You could just do it via a decal and preserve the detail (although I accept they're fairly slab-sided).

You're after someone to actually refinish them as well then, are you? A partial respray seems unavoidable, that would be a +1 for vinyls.

I'm aware random ideas like these are very dangerous, so yes possibly, but all this would be dependent on cost of course.  Seems like i've opened my own can of worms here and I need to do some more research, I can certainly experiment with decals myself, which is a start and explore the vinyl option whilst i'm at it.

Thanks for the input.

njee20

It's definitely not as difficult as it may seem. The hardest part is generally getting a colour which looks right on the model. I'd print on white backed decal paper; you'll get a much deeper colour, and it'll take care of the white background to the EuroTunnel logo without needing a fancy printer. Then do the cabside numbers on clear backed decal paper and you're away.

ntpntpntp

Must admit I'd not looked at the Eurotunnel locos for ages, hadn't realised the livery had changed (you're gonna tell me they've been like it for years aren't you? :D ) No excuse that I actually live a couple of miles from the tunnel!

I reckon I'd go for printing the entire blue swoosh with the logos, other graphics, all the lettering which sits on the swoosh.  On white decal paper (as thin as you can find). Then just cut it to the shape and apply to the side.  That just leaves the loco numbers to print as clear decals.  Still means you need to re-spray the silver/grey to cover the roundel on the cab sides of the original model though.

I do have a pair of the CJMs.  My pair are currently buried somewhere, but I seem to recall the finish of the silver/grey is a bit iffy/speckly on mine.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

BramptonBranch

Quote from: SGregory on November 30, 2022, 10:40:21 AM
Morning all,

I own 3 of the superb Kato/CJM/Farish Le Shuttle locos.  I was thinking about having at least one resprayed into the current Eurotunnel livery.

But i'm wondering if anyone knows of anywhere that might make the decals for them?  I've looked at the usual places (Railtec/Fox etc) and can't see anything specific.  That being said, it doesn't look like there is much in the way of signage on them anyway, only really the large Eurotunnel roundel and the  4 figure cab side numbers.

So, aside from the decals question - who would I approach to do this?  I'm no expert but the livery looks relatively simple to the untrained eye.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ozymandias on this fine forum for a respray? plenty of examples of his skills on the workbench thread

Andy
Simon
You can never have to many Warships!

Gordon

Quote from: ntpntpntp on November 30, 2022, 04:50:12 PM
Must admit I'd not looked at the Eurotunnel locos for ages, hadn't realised the livery had changed (you're gonna tell me they've been like it for years aren't you? :D )

...erm ...yes - about 20 years
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Gordon

Quote from: SGregory on November 30, 2022, 12:19:40 PM
No I wouldn't - I know my limits and i'm no artisan.  Even though I have all the tools (air-brush, compressor etc) I wouldn't attempt it, the loco's cost me too much for me to attempt a ham fisted repaint.  Now that you mention the swoosh as a decal or paint - by the looks of it, that is really the key difference of the two liveries (aside from larger cab numbers).  The whole thing could possibly even be done with a vinyl....interesting.

If I was doing it I think I'd just spray the silver grey then the blue 'swathe'. I'd probably take the easy way out and print out a logo on thin paper and stick it on with glue stick glue
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

njee20

If you're cutting something out then water slide decals are easy as paper, but with a far better end result.

The (minor) challenge here is the Euro Tunnel logo being on a white background. Printing one decal including the blue negates the need to try and cut out a circle. The named locos using silver nameplates is hard to recreate with a home printer too. There's not too many data labels, but adding those in (or a representation) is easy.

It looks like, when first repainted, they retained the dark grey band around the windows, but have since lost that. So ideally you do an 'early' relivery for ease.

The dark blue swoosh (which will be a vinyl on the real thing) looks to be exactly the same shape as the outgoing white swoosh. As such I reckon you could just put a new decal directly over the top of the old one with some judicious cutting, no painting required, and totally reversible. You may have a slightly visible step at the edges/logos/lines, but I know Chris tended to use dry-rub transfers, so I doubt it'd be overly noticeable. Then the only bit you'd need to deal with would be the cab side numbers, and removal of the existing small Eurotunnel logos. I suspect the old ones will rub/scratch off easily, but I've never tried on a CJM loco.

The decals on this wagon were done by me in this way - the white lettering is just the decal backing paper underneath.

I'd sort the artwork (I use PowerPoint), with the blue background, print it a bit too large. Get a stencil on some tracing paper off the existing livery, cut the blue to exactly the right size and apply. You can even decide if you're happy before addressing the cab side numbers. Job jobbed.

Message me if you want a hand, not averse to doing the artwork.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations