Hornby Arnold Brighton Belle

Started by Paul-H, October 09, 2018, 10:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N_GaugeModeller

Mine is arriving from Hattons tomorrow, hope the carriage pack arrives soon as a 2 car Pullman EMU will look a little silly .

NGM
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

You don't need to point out my errors.  Thanks

Ben A

Hi Bob,

I already have the original umber and cream set, but TBH would prefer to have yellow ends.

Rather than selling the whole thing and purchasing the new set, would I be able to correctly run the two new outer cars with the three inners from the first batch?

Cheers

Ben A.

NGS-PO

Quote from: Ben A on November 28, 2019, 08:34:44 AM

Hi Bob,

I already have the original umber and cream set, but TBH would prefer to have yellow ends.

Rather than selling the whole thing and purchasing the new set, would I be able to correctly run the two new outer cars with the three inners from the first batch?

Cheers

Ben A.

Ben I think the roof boards on the cars will be different. The new ones I think just say "Brighton Belle", whereas the previous version says something different ( I can't remember exactly what at the moment, but I think it was @Bob G who mentioned this in a previous post.

I'm guessing the livery colours will be the same (yellow ends apart) , so it may be a case of whether you're happy to have three cars with one type of roof board and two driving cars with another type.

Best

Scott

EDIT: The original issue roof boards were "Brighton Belle Victoria Brighton".
If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Bob G

Hi Ben

Scott is correct. But it is not just the roof boards, which on the new set say "Victoria - Brighton" and on the 1938 set say "Brighton Belle Victoria Brighton" IIRC.

The carriage names on the first class coaches are different  - and the 1938 set says "Car no XXX - Third Class" on the third class cars whereas on the 1962 set it says "Car No XXX" only as these were now second class. Third class was abolished in 1956.

So as I know you are a stickler for accuracy, sell the old one and get a new one. Hattons was £20 cheaper than Hornby direct, when they advertised back in January.

Best
Bob

NGS-PO

Quote from: Bob G on November 28, 2019, 09:30:00 AM
Hi Ben

Scott is correct. But it is not just the roof boards, which on the new set say "Victoria - Brighton" and on the 1938 set say "Brighton Belle Victoria Brighton" IIRC.

The carriage names on the first class coaches are different  - and the 1938 set says "Car no XXX - Third Class" on the third class cars whereas on the 1962 set it says "Car No XXX" only as these were now second class. Third class was abolished in 1956.

So as I know you are a stickler for accuracy, sell the old one and get a new one. Hattons was £20 cheaper than Hornby direct, when they advertised back in January.

Best
Bob

Bob,

On the Hattons pictures the roof boards say "Brighton Belle".

https://www.hattons.co.uk/435276/arnold_hn3006_5_bel_pullman_brighton_belle_emu_end_vehicles_in_pullman_umber_and_cream_with_sm/stockdetail.aspx

It's entirely possible I'm missing something though.......?

Best

Scott
If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

njee20

I see Gaugemaster are doing one of their starter sets with the Brighton Belle driving cars (but not the additional 3 centre coaches) with a controller and an oval of Unitrack - could be an additional source of units if the standalone ones sell out quickly.

Bob G

Quote from: NGS-PO on November 28, 2019, 09:34:15 AM
Hi Ben

Best
Bob

Bob,

https://www.hattons.co.uk/435276/arnold_hn3006_5_bel_pullman_brighton_belle_emu_end_vehicles_in_pullman_umber_and_cream_with_sm/stockdetail.aspx

Best

Scott

I was writing all from memory so some of what I wrote could be incorrect.
Whether it is material is a different matter.
Bob

NGS-PO

Quote from: Bob G on November 28, 2019, 10:16:01 AM
Hi Ben

Best
Bob

Bob,

Best

Scott

Bob

Bob,

It wasn't a criticism.

Best

Scott

Capri_sam

Quote from: Ben A on November 28, 2019, 08:34:44 AM

Hi Bob,

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben, if you do consider selling the whole set to swap it over let me know!*

*I would of course make a donation to the site too!

NGS-PO

Mine just arrived, and a lovely little thing it is as well. The paint coverage on the roof could be better I think, but other than that it looks very nice.

For completeness, the roof boards say "Brighton Belle", and as Bob says the cars just have the car  number on them.

Best

Scott

N_GaugeModeller

Mine just arrived as well, not got them out the boxes yet but they do look nice and as said above the roof board says Brighton Belle

Now got to patiently await the 3 coach pack.

NGM
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

Bob G

Quote from: NGS-PO on November 28, 2019, 10:25:29 AM
Quote from: Bob G on November 28, 2019, 10:16:01 AM
Hi Ben

Best
Bob

Bob,

Best

Scott

Bob

Bob,

It wasn't a criticism.

Best

Scott

No offence taken Scott.
No worries.
Bob.

PS I got my 2-car set today. The cab lights seem brighter - dont know why they should be but they are.
The numbers pre-war were 2051-2053 and post war were 3051-3053, so that's another difference I noted.
The livery seemed a little more matt than the first one too. or was it the other way around. I've packed them away now so I cant remember!

TBH I prefer the 1950s no yellow panel version with the second class rather than third class adornment. That will probably be the next one to be produced :)

N_GaugeModeller

Just had mine on the test track, what a supper smooth little runner she is.

Fun and games getting the body off to fit the decoder, its a super tight fit, makes removing Farish DMU bodies a breeze.

Nice tough all the table lamps, cab lights are far to bright but it should be easy to tone them down if it offends anyone

This definitely show up my rake of Farish Mk1 Pullman Coaches

NGM

N_GaugeModeller

I see Hornby list the Coach packs as being in Stock but nothing showing on the likes of Hattons and Rails etc so hopefully they will be arriving at the stockists soon.

NGM

Papyrus

Not really into multiple units, but I quite fancied this when it first came out, as did my wife who rode on the real thing in her younger days. Sanity prevailed, however, as a) I couldn't afford it then and I can't afford it now and b) even stretching Rule 1 to breaking point, it would look really silly on an East Anglian branch line. No Beyer-Garratt for the same reason...

Life's just so unfair.

Cheers,

Chris

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations