Spot The Station

Started by Mr Sprue, May 18, 2020, 10:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Sprue

With the skies containing less pollution since the lockdown this is an ideal opportunity to spot the ISS.

I've just been out in my back garden and watched it track across the sky, amazing how fast it orbits but even travelling at 17139 mph it can be viewed clearly using the naked eye for about 6 minutes, it's pretty bright!

For any of you interested here's ISS website : https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

Bealman

Yeah, it's pretty cool. Having clear skies most of the time here in Australia  :P I see it go over our place quite a lot, sometimes even in daylight if it's the right time so the sun reflects off it.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Mr Sprue

Although the website provides the times and direction when the station can be seen from a specific location, the live tracking map was really good also, as I was able to monitor its path from the SW to East of England, looked up and bingo there it was.

Imagine being up there having to see 16 sunrises and sunsets every day, that means in just a little over three weeks they have seen a years worth... what a tally!  8)

Bealman

If you want insight into life on board, have a look at Canadian Chris Hadfield's autobiography An Astronauts Guide to Life on Earth. Hadfield did a stint as commander on board and made that great David Bowie video just before he returned to Earth. :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations