Track Foot Crossing

Started by Artisan, December 30, 2018, 09:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martyn

Reply #14;

I think that at least at busier/bigger 'through' stations there was a barrow crossing at one end (or both) of the platforms, and a narrower 'staff' crossing to enable porters (or whoever) to get across the running lines without having to use footbridges/subways/end platform crossings, which was usually about half way down the length of the platform (Or opposite the staff mess room?) The platform sides usually had a couple of strategically placed bricks or similar to act as steps to enable to staff to climb up the other side.

Martyn

Delboy

Quote from: Cutter on January 03, 2019, 11:03:59 AM
Also, as has been hinted at above barrow crossings were generally made from old sleepers and should be a sleeper's length wide.
Having said that, in the 1930s the station I am modeling, Welwyn North, had a regular barrow crossing at the end of the platforms and a very narrow one forming a short cut between the booking office and the down platform.
Thanks for the info.
My 3D printed version shown above is indeed based on old sleepers and I am pleased that the detail reflects this.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Cutter

This photo shows the staff crossing at Welwyn North in 1938, and the steps down to it. The loco is one of the "Royal Claudes" kept at Cambridge, the shunting horse was called Tom and his driver was Charles Hall. I've no idea who the lad on the platform was.

Delboy

That's a great clear photo showing you lots of detail for your modelled version.
Loving that loco.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Cutter

Two of these locos were kept at Cambridge for service at short notice on the Royal train, mostly running to Wolferton for Sandringham. The locos had extra brass and were kept clean and polished ready to go. When not on Royal duty they did regular service. The photo shows the spotless  loco hauling the filthy carriages of a Cambridge express

The Q

Not all wooden planking between the tracks was for barrow crossings, in this picture, (courtesy Swindons other railway / Mike Barnsley) it was to protect point and signal rodding 

This was particulartly common in those areas prone to snow and ice.

PS barrow crossings and point rodding covers make good ways of hiding board joins...

This Picture from the same source of Weyhill has the normal format for a barrow crossing, at the end of a platform so you could actually use a barrow on it..

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations