guest311

some breeds seem to have a very short 'memory'

so teach to 'sit'  :thumbsup:

now teach to 'heel'  :thumbsup:

oops, sit has fallen out of the memory  >:(

teach to 'here' [recall]  :thumbsup:
got it,

oops, heel has now disappeared  :'(

however, as I was told on the first day of my RAFP QPD course ...

there are no bad dogs, only bad handlers

so, you need to give your dog 100% attention, at all times,
if he messes up, it's not his fault, it is yours

something the majority of IDOs [Idiot Dog Owners] don't understand.

daffy

Your are so right!

I've had almost identical problems with training, and some commands are never retained no matter how often and carefully I try to teach them.

But then my wife does tell me she tries her best.

:D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

cycletrak9

We've always had Labradors so training is no problem- if there is food as a reward they'll do exactly what they are told! Mind you their definition of food is a little vague so don't leave half finished models lying around - see Oscar the church eater on one of my earlier posts.

guest311

Quote from: daffy on March 25, 2020, 05:52:38 PM
Your are so right!

I've had almost identical problems with training, and some commands are never retained no matter how often and carefully I try to teach them.

But then my wife does tell me she tries her best.

:D

I'm afraid that in my experience, some dogs / bitches are untrainable and indeed can turn violent, so ...

I'd advise against using a check chain and lead, you could overburden the already overstretched NHS  :'(

acko22

Well I have to work been a key worker on the 1:1 scale trains so not rest for the wicked here, but with Mrs Acko expecting due very very soon we have received a letter identifying her as high risk so she is confined to the house.

But my boss has been amazing and will I be collecting a work van to allow me to avoid having using public transport to get to/from work, so as much as we all grumble about work I can't say work aren't looking after me, the better half and the babies.
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

crewearpley40

That's a relief gareth and means you can hum your own tunes  be by yourself . I've been put on other duties as cover. Wish you and mrs acko well

Bob Tidbury

That's really good news Gareth a bit different to my son and daughters experience Glenn works in an open plan ticket office only 18 inches away from the public I'm 73 with high blood pressure and diabetic Val has had a head injury and was in hospital two years ago with pnuemonia so we are both high risk and vulnerable but was told by his boss that he HAD to go to work .
My daughter does the same and she was ordered to go in at half past five in the morning to open up the station ,she has no one to look after her 1 year old and 5 year old girls and her husband has allso been told he has to go to work .
We can't have the girls with us as obviously they both want to see and be with Mum or Dad .
This is really bad and still you see Morons totally disregarding all the information in the news and on  the tele .
BUT IM GLAD THAT YOUR FIRM HAVE HELPED YOU OUT AND WISH YOU AND YOUR WIFE ALL THE BEST FOR THE FUTURE .
SORRY if not all of this is in the wrong thread .
Bob Tidbury

stevewalker

Once again our tortoise has survived the winter and has just woken up.

Photo from a year ago, as I haven't taken one yet this year.

This tortoise is amazing. It was found wandering, by a neighbour of my wife's parents, far from any houses and, despite putting notices up, no one claimed it. After their dog attacked it, it was passed to my wife's parents and finally to us when they died. At the time that it was found, a vet said it was an old tortoise and estimated it at 60 to 70 years old ... and that was 48 years ago!

Bealman

It will no doubt outlive the current situation  ;D :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

dannyboy

Quote from: stevewalker on April 04, 2020, 11:26:51 PM
At the time that it was found, a vet said it was an old tortoise and estimated it at 60 to 70 years old ... and that was 48 years ago!

Flippin' 'eck :goggleeyes:. Just goes to prove that there are benefits in not rushing around all over the place! (Or that is my excuse anyway  ;)).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

emjaybee

I seem to recall reading somewhere that animal charities say that Tortoises (Tortoii ?) should be put in your will because of their long life expectancy.

It's a grand age though, not entirely sure how fulfilling it is but hey, he may think he's livin' the dream!

Good on him...

...or her.

Does he/she/it have a name?
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

stevewalker

There is a bit of gender dysphoria going on. When found, it was thought to be male (they are sometimes quite difficult to tell apart) and named Frederick. Some time later, it was found to be female and renamed Frederika, but is generally just referred to as Freddie. Although now known to be female, the male "he" has stuck after years of use.

port perran

He/She looks to be a fine specimen.
We've got two Hermans tortoises, Capel  and Dewi, who are mere youngsters  (at 24 years old).
Ours woke up about a month ago after just over three months in hibernation.
People think tortoises are slow but they can be surprisingly quick when they want to and provided  they are warm (being cold blooded creatures  they are very slow when they are cold).

I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

trkilliman

Quote from: port perran on April 05, 2020, 07:58:27 PM
He/She looks to be a fine specimen.
We've got two Hermans tortoises, Capel  and Dewi, who are mere youngsters  (at 24 years old).
Ours woke up about a month ago after just over three months in hibernation.
People think tortoises are slow but they can be surprisingly quick when they want to and provided  they are warm (being cold blooded creatures  they are very slow when they are cold).

Capel and Dewi.  I visited Bristol's former Barrow Rd shed (ex-LMS) a few times in 1964/early 65. On one occasion when I ventured down the staircase from the roadbridge to take numbers, there was a Modified Hall class...Capel Dewi Hall!

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: port perran on April 05, 2020, 07:58:27 PM
People think tortoises are slow but they can be surprisingly quick when they want to

Important at this time of year when they might easily be mistaken for Easter eggs by hoards of enthusiastic young hunters ;)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations