The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Personally I don't have an issue with the new prices (most of my communication is made by e mail), but this will impact on charges by mail order shops which, along with increased costs of products coming in from China, is going to start hitting us modellers where it hurts :(

StufromEGDL

Hi Guys;

Disregarding the political/management issues....I'll still be stocking up before the end of April.

Guess E-Bay P&P will be getting even more extreme now also!!!

Later;
STU from EGDL
:Class37:
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

HellsGuardian316

Well, all I can say is the Royal mail is still te only service I know of that can get your letter from Groats to Lands end for 46p in 1-2days  :smiley-laughing:

Granted that it still takes just as much and as long to deliver to my next door neighbour, but hey, could be worse  ;D

The price increase is however still quite minimal compared to other services provided because no other service is prepared to handle letters at the same price that Royal Mail does despite the impending increase. Most other courriers only deal with larger packets, or have set prices regardless of size.

I've got no doubt that RM will see a further decline in people using their services, which lets face it, if it costs you 60p to send a letter compared to 0p for an email then your logically going to go for the cheaper option if you can.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Lawrence on March 27, 2012, 11:36:10 AM
Any one of these military guys who are standing in would happily swap their pay and conditions with those of the tanker driver for a couple of months.

Or start their own tanker business.... nothing stops them once they've left the army and they'll be trained for it. If it was such a nice cushy arrangement with tons of money being made - someone would be doing it right already.

To me there is a much bigger problem though. Soldiers are trained day in and day out for a relatively black and white world of us, them and the people running screaming from both (whom you aren't supposed to blow up). So many times when the UK has deployed the military for home security it has ended in tragedy sometimes ones that whose repercussions lasted for years. Boston massacre, Peterloo, Amritsar, Croke Park, Bloody Sunday, etc etc ....

Plus a vast list of minor disasters like the Llanell riots, Tonypandy and so on.

Deploying them for bits of the Olympics is just asking for history to repeat itself.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Lawrence

Allan - given that redundancy payments have recently been chopped massively (about 3 months pay equivalent irrespective of length of service and no pension till 60), your average gunner, AB or aircraftman coming out couldn't afford a second hand car never mind a tanker!

As for homeland security - that is not what they are trained for and it is a whole different ball game

Kipper

Fire Brigade go on strike and out come the army with Green Goddesses. What will the army be driving for the fuel strike - old Spitfire refuelling bowsers?

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Kipper on March 27, 2012, 04:18:07 PM
Fire Brigade go on strike and out come the army with Green Goddesses. What will the army be driving for the fuel strike - old Spitfire refuelling bowsers?

Note that the Green Goddesses have gone - next fire strike they are going to be stuffed.

The army currently has a lot of experience running fuel conveys (while being shot at) in Afghanistan. I suspect any picketing will seem quite tame 8)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Jack

Quote from: Kipper on March 27, 2012, 04:18:07 PM

In the late 70s when I was serving in the Army in Northern Ireland, the tanker drivers went on strike and the Army drove into the tanker parks slapped "Government Vehicle" stickers on the tank side and the doors of the cab units and drive them out full. It didn't matter what oil company, BP, Shell, what ever, they were loaded and used.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

RichardBattersby

Angry with myself!  :( :thumbsdown: >:(  What an idiot.
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

Newportnobby

Quote from: RichardBattersby on March 27, 2012, 08:36:26 PM
Angry with myself!  :( :thumbsdown: >:(  What an idiot.

Sorry Richard, but you have lost me. Why are you angry with yourself ???

Jack

No so much angry just very annoyed!!!  >:(

I've taken my time in layout planning using Anyrail, every thing was fine so I thought I'd download the Peco templates just to make sure that everything worked out in full size.

They don't list Code 55 so thinking that the Code 80 was the same size as Code 55, I started using them and then began to wonder why my plans weren't working out right.  :thumbsdown:

I double checked all my plans, I've got 8 double slips to fit in and as Peco don't do D/S templates so I used the Long Cross one as it was the same size as a D/S. Yes, according to the Peco catalogue, with Code 55 they were both 154mm. The only problem is that the Code 80 Long Cross is 187mm!!  ::)

I've spend the last couple of weeks or so playing with the Peco templates believing that Code 80 sizes were the same size as Code 55. WRONG!!

Why oh why didn't I check to see that there were differences between the two Codes. ::)

Lawrence

Because then you would not have been able to teach the rest of us a valuable lesson Jack, so there is a plus side  :thumbsup:

dr deltic

Tanker drivers take the mick. Dangerous job yes, but its their career choice!

As for risk, my lads used to work 30x 100T loaded tanks everyday from Humber to Kingsbury, or how about 1000 ton of LPG....
Not on the roads agreed but same outcome if it went wrong.

Biggest risk was when some enterprising farmer decided to rob the tankers while waiting for the signal at Stenson Jn, running pipes into top of tanks and then using pump sets to store in bowser's hidden in caravans!!
Got caught after a jealous neighbour shopped him as he wouldn't share!

Jack

QuoteTanker drivers take the mick. Dangerous job yes, but its their career choice

I totally agree!! I used to drive road tankers some 15 years ago. You couldn't move for safety regs and training even back then!! They seem to be hiding behind H&S rules and proper training, but everyone knows want they're really after.

Zunnan

Taking it away from for tankers, but sticking to the road a moment....Taxi drivers, not black cabs, I don't and won't use those, but private hire cars.

70mph in a built up area, and the stupid rectal discharge of a driver wonders why I demand he stops, and then threatens ME when I refuse to pay him for risking our lives. The missus has footage on her phone of both his driving and his behaviour afterwards, which is now with the police and the taxi firm. I hope to see him on the dole queue ASAP. This isn't the first time I've had to put up with dangerous driving from muppets with a sticker on the door, round here they're a bloody menace on the roads, but it was by far the worst yet.
Like a Phoenix from the ashes...morelike a rotten old Dog Bone

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations