Tour de France 2018

Started by Newportnobby, July 04, 2018, 10:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

That first day was very strange and who'd have thunk some well known GC riders would be so far back (all for various reasons). Very strong team time trial by BMC, and at least Chris Froome is only 51 seconds down, something which, providing he can stay upright into the mountains, I reckon he'll soon claw back :hmmm:

njee20

Only by attacking one of his teammates who remains better placed and has been backed as a GC contender. Hence Sky's dilemma.

Newportnobby

I agree, but I didn't see the Dauphiné so don't know how strong 'G' is at present going uphill. Besides, I'd like to see Froome get another one :D

talisman56

Quote from: Newportnobby on July 10, 2018, 03:53:40 PM
I agree, but I didn't see the Dauphiné so don't know how strong 'G' is at present going uphill. Besides, I'd like to see Froome get another one :D

Seeing as the Dauphiné is very much a climbers race and he won it, I think Geraint is in a very good place at the moment, with the hillier bits of the Tour to come. As long as he stays upright, of course...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

cycletrak9

The other burning question is whether Cav can get any closer to Eddy's record. The signs don't look too good so far.

talisman56

Quote from: cycletrak9 on July 10, 2018, 06:58:22 PM
The other burning question is whether Cav can get any closer to Eddy's record. The signs don't look too good so far.

He has had a couple of crashes this year so far, he competed (half-heartedly) for the intermediate sprint on Stage 1 but got delayed by all the later crashes. I wouldn't be surprised if he is  bit more wary of getting too involved in the late stuff at the moment (particularly as Sagan is still around)...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

njee20

He clearly wasn't happy with the result today, he did get boxed in a bit, but he was a way back. Not sure he's got the fitness, no huge surprise given his early season crashes. Shame though, I like him!

njee20

Brutal stage today, it having been dry for so long almost made it as bad  as a wet one!

Interesting to see how disc brakes are making huge inroads into the peloton quite quietly after lots of noise about how evil they were. Wonder if we'll revert to rim brakes in the mountains like last year.

Feel for Richie Porte, again.

Newportnobby

Brutal doesn't quite cover it IMO.
21.7kms of pavé took its toll. It was poor Romain Bardet I felt the most for but at least, unlike Richie Porte, he's still in the race.

njee20

Yes I'm not sure who AG2R's tyre sponsor is, but I never want to use them!

Newportnobby

Quote from: njee20 on July 15, 2018, 09:37:15 PM
Yes I'm not sure who AG2R's tyre sponsor is, but I never want to use them!

Something for the weekend, M'sieur? :laugh:

njee20

Quite!

Interestingly it looks to be Continental, who supply loads of teams, so no inherent reason for all of Bardet's issues.

There were issues when riders started using carbon wheels on the cobbles about 10 years ago of rims breaking rather than tyres going flat; they just couldn't cope with the square edged impacts. I wonder if that was Bardet's issue. 

Philip.

Brilliant stage win by Geraint Thomas today, and takes the Yellow Jersey to boot. Alpe d'Huez tomorrow, looking forward to this one.

Newportnobby

Stunning ride by 'G' today, and by Team Sky in total.
Many other GC riders put to the sword.

njee20

Agreed, amazing result. Would love to see him win. We shall see.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations