What are you modelling?

Started by guest2, November 26, 2010, 09:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

railwaysymphony

Now that I've got a bit of a plan in mind...

The main era I'm looking at is BR, late steam era, definitely before BR Blue took over. My layout won't have any particular location in mind... it might even look slightly Australian rather than slightly British!

Anyway, my fleet consists of a mixed bag of locos:

A1 Tornado (BachFar - Doncaster Green)
A4 Sir Nigel Gresley (Minitrix - LNER Garter Blue - sadly retired due to major breakdowns, probably won't run again as I cannibalize it for parts)
A4 Mallard (Minitrix - BR Green)
A4 Falcon (GraFar - BR Green)
A3 Flying Scotsman (Minitrix - LNER Apple Green)
9F Evening Star (Minitrix - BR Green)
9F 92018 (Minitrix - BR unlined black)
7P Brittania (Minitrix - BR Green - currently waiting on some parts)
7P Boadicea (Minitrix - BR Green)
Duchess of Hamilton (GraFar - BR Maroon)
Ivatt 2MT (Minitrix - BR Unlined black)
Hall (GraFar - BR Unlined black)
Standard 4MT (BachFar - BR lined black)
LMS Class 4P Compound 4-4-0 (GraFar - BR lined black)
Jinty 0-6-0T (GraFar - non-authentic LNER Green)
Prarie 2-6-2T (GraFar - BR Green)
2x Class 08 (old GraFar and newer BachFar, both BR Blue)
2x Class 101 DMUs (GraFar, one 2-car and one 3-car)
3x Class 27 (Minitrix - two in BR Green, one in BR Blue)
Class 25 (BR Green)
HST125 Swallow Livery (GraFar) with 7 coaches
Class 52 "Western Emperor" (GraFar - BR Green - in need of some parts
Battle of Britain Class 34066 "Spitfire" (GraFar - BR Green - non running, no motor)

I have to confess to having a few more on the wish list! My next acquisitions will be the Farish Rebuilt Scot "Royal Air Force" (I'm a former Australian Air Force Cadet so this one has some interest to me!), possibly a Farish Jubilee (although if a Peco one ever turned up I'd seriously look at that one!), perhaps a "proper" black Jinty, and maybe a Tangmere to replace Spitfire.

I'm also interested in further investigating Dapol, although finding that around is next to impossible! In the meantime I'll make do with my Farish and Minitrix :)

Newportnobby

Some fleet you have there :thumbsup:
Keep an eye on Dapol who will be releasing A4/A3 and Bulleids hopefully soon!

OwL

British, American and Eoropean N gauge 1930's-2012

Love it all in N scale  :NGAUGE:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Bad Raven

I started out 30 years ago to be strictly LMS and mostly L&Y area.........didn't stay that way!!!  :angel:

ALL LMS area now, from 20's through into BR, plus a little bit of Southern.

Dave

dr deltic

modelling 1970's to early 2000's! To much good stuff to stick to one short period!!

longbridge

Freelance American Heritage Railroad called "Stone Valley", with a mixture of Steam and Diesel.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

MinZaPint

Hello & wecome Gordon, I like your choice of era and look forward to hearing of your progress. Have you any track plans, what area do you have and do you have a location in mind, oh and don't forget we love  :camera:.

Keep us posted

David
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

MinZaPint

Well I'm working on a most important area of my layout as this pic will hopefully show,

If anyone would like to help me extend this fleet their help would be most welcome!

@ the moment I have Worthingtons, Fremlins, Bass, Allsops, Palmers & GWR Ale wagon for all the guest ales I would like to invite.

Also featured are the superb NGS Queen Mary & the ubiquitous M7 that used to haul me from Brockenhurst to West Moors in days of yore!
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Newportnobby

As a well know Simpson would say "Mmmmm - beeeeerr"
Can't help with your fleet, though, David, as I don't have anything I can contribute :(

4x2

US 1970's/1980's lots of GP's, ALCO's and SD's and various switchers - no particular livery, but i do have a soft spot for the Union Pacific and the Chessie System.

That said any good Running N gauge loco is welcome to join my collection ! Money no object, i'd do the Somerset & Dorset around Bath and The Rio grande in the same room, just on different levels...*

(*Warning - Euromillions win required...  :smiley-laughing:)
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

longbridge

A freelance American Heritage Railroad situated in Cascade Mountain type scenery.

All rolling stock has been repainted and named "Stone Valley Railroad".
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Bealman

Quote from: railwaysymphony on February 09, 2012, 01:20:32 PM
Now that I've got a bit of a plan in mind...

The main era I'm looking at is BR, late steam era, definitely before BR Blue took over. My layout won't have any particular location in mind... it might even look slightly Australian rather than slightly British!

Anyway, my fleet consists of a mixed bag of locos:

A1 Tornado (BachFar - Doncaster Green)
A4 Sir Nigel Gresley (Minitrix - LNER Garter Blue - sadly retired due to major breakdowns, probably won't run again as I cannibalize it for parts)
A4 Mallard (Minitrix - BR Green)
A4 Falcon (GraFar - BR Green)
A3 Flying Scotsman (Minitrix - LNER Apple Green)
9F Evening Star (Minitrix - BR Green)
9F 92018 (Minitrix - BR unlined black)
7P Brittania (Minitrix - BR Green - currently waiting on some parts)
7P Boadicea (Minitrix - BR Green)
Duchess of Hamilton (GraFar - BR Maroon)
Ivatt 2MT (Minitrix - BR Unlined black)
Hall (GraFar - BR Unlined black)
Standard 4MT (BachFar - BR lined black)
LMS Class 4P Compound 4-4-0 (GraFar - BR lined black)
Jinty 0-6-0T (GraFar - non-authentic LNER Green)
Prarie 2-6-2T (GraFar - BR Green)
2x Class 08 (old GraFar and newer BachFar, both BR Blue)
2x Class 101 DMUs (GraFar, one 2-car and one 3-car)
3x Class 27 (Minitrix - two in BR Green, one in BR Blue)
Class 25 (BR Green)
HST125 Swallow Livery (GraFar) with 7 coaches
Class 52 "Western Emperor" (GraFar - BR Green - in need of some parts
Battle of Britain Class 34066 "Spitfire" (GraFar - BR Green - non running, no motor)

I have to confess to having a few more on the wish list! My next acquisitions will be the Farish Rebuilt Scot "Royal Air Force" (I'm a former Australian Air Force Cadet so this one has some interest to me!), possibly a Farish Jubilee (although if a Peco one ever turned up I'd seriously look at that one!), perhaps a "proper" black Jinty, and maybe a Tangmere to replace Spitfire.

I'm also interested in further investigating Dapol, although finding that around is next to impossible! In the meantime I'll make do with my Farish and Minitrix :)
Hey there railwaysymphony, I also own most of that stock. I am currently refurbishing and completing a layout I started a long time ago, and just about all stock is mothballed at the moment. Unfortunately it may never again see the light of day - at least not on my layout. Its going to be an expensive undertaking, but the 'light years ahead' nature of the latest offerings from Dapol and Bachfar have got me 99.9% convinced that the only stock to run in future will be the new stuff. I have made a start with a new class 14, 24 and 42 along with a few goods wagons (though I probably will still run my extensive selection of Peco wagons).
Actually a goodly number of my old locos are kaput - and I'm sorry to say that most of them got that way through extensive exhibition running during the early 1990s. Take into account that the Minitrix stock are actually British bodies on what are basically German locomotive chassis so there are many compromises there. They also featured traction tyres which inevitably got thrown at exhibitions, so most of my Minitrix stuff is also shot.
Having said that, I have two lovely 'old' models (also non-runners) that will find a home on the layout: a Peco Jubilee repainted in BR brunswick green by a friend of mine, John Baker, and a Minitrix 9F converted to a Crosti-boilered version, also by John Baker.
My layout is also the BR steam - green diesel era. It is a fictitious layout with real placenames. Each section has a different flavour to it -WR, MR and ER. It is designed to be operated as per the late Peter Denny's Buckingham branch with multiple operators. I hope to be able to post track plans and pix as work progresses, but for now there are phone photos on my album and articles on the layout (Beal & Castle Eden) in the Feb 92, Feb 93, Oct 93, Jan 95 and May 97 issues of Railway Modeller magazine.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Pageant-Moselle

[/size][/font]

I'm not basing my layout on anything in particular, but am more interested in modelling parts of the railways around where I live (with a strong Midland, LMS bias), but are now long gone and trying to fit it all into a 5 by 3 so that it doesn't take up too much room at home.

The fun bit, for me, is research and then actually trying to model it in N guage.

apsheehan

Trying for early sixties diesel steam mix, somewhere in midlands where western region and rest of BR meet.

Steam locos:

Dapol 14** & 57** pannier
Farish Black 5 & 4MT 2-6-2

Diesel all Farish:
Class 24
Class 37
Class 42

That being said I'm not being absolutely precise on period/area. e.g two of the steamers have the early BR crest, and some of my wagons are Private owner stuff that was eradicated by WW2, however they look nice!!

Skyline2uk

Filton TMD is loosely West Country (in location only, not loco fleet as such: P), and even more loosely (cos BR never bought GM locos!) set in the last days of British rail...

Class 08 (Railfreight, old Farish)
Class 08 (EWS, old Farish)
Class 08 (Railfreight, new Farish with outside frames)
Class 33 (Engineers "Dutch")
Class 37 (Railfreight, Metals sector)
Class 37 (EPS, with Chunnel Plates)
Class 47 (Railfreight Distribution, "The Sapper")
Class 47 (Great Western, "SS Great Britain")
Class 47 (Portabrook Purple)
Class 56 (Railfreight, Construction)
Class 60 (Railfreight, Petroleum "Charles Babbage")
Class 66 (EWS)
Class 67 (EWS)
Class 67 (EWS, Dummy)
Class 73 (Engineers, "Dutch")
Class 150/2 (Regional)
Class 159 (Network Southeast)
Class 170 (Southwest Trains)

Plus occasional visitor GWR 2-6-2 Prairie

And two sets that are too big for the layout:

Class 43 HST Great Western (Old Farish)
Eurostar Set (Kato)

Now I just need to get the layout running to play with them all ;D

Filton TMD Layout Thread :http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=4129.msg46795#msg46795

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations