Are we over the Golden Age of N Gauge?

Started by Rabbitaway, March 27, 2018, 09:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silly moo

I think we are in a Golden Age as far as detail goes but I do wish we didn't have to wait so long for new models.

At least I get plenty time to save up for them.

:NGaugersRule:

OwL

I'm not so sure 'Golden Era' fits the bill here......
To me Golden Era means it has gone as far as it can go and will soon/subsequently go down or even disappear.
People talk about the Golden Age of steam which as we all know in the UK/Western Europe disappeared in the late 60's/early 70's. The N gauge hobby is certainly not in any Golden Era/Age. From what I can tell things have been/are getting better and the immediate to long term future is bright for the scale.

Yes we can see price rises and manufacturers releasing less locos each year but that has alot to do with economics and business. The fact that all the manufacturers have between them covered pretty much every popular/mass produced loco seen on British Rails kind of proves the point.

A good example of this evidence being that I can buy RtR almost every popular class of diesel loco seen on British Rails since the late 50's until present:
Class: 03,04,08,09,20,24,25,31,33,35,37,40,43,45,46,47,50,52,55,56,57,58,60,66,67,68,70,73, all available at the click.if a mouse button.
That's almost x30 loco classes covering pretty much every mainstream modelled era and region in the UK with more liveries than the rainbow. (Most of these being released as new tooling within the last 15years!)
That alone says to me that the hobby is vibrant and strong as all these offerings are available and have been for a while with many more liveries and re-tools in the pipe line.

As also mentioned the gaps in the market can now be covered by crowd funding projects as so successfully and brilliantly done by Revolution Trains for example.

I think we are far from a Golden Era but more in a stable but growing era of new releases and re-tools and updates of models that have been around for a while and will continue for along time yet!

The hobby is a good place to be and is growing. Forum membership numbers prove this alone.

Above all let's enjoy our hobby and support each other and the manufacturers, that way we can all ensure a strong and growing hobby open to all.
Thanks everyone

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Newportnobby

Add to the above list the class 22 and 27 with the 59's due we know not when. Maybe still possible to pick up a 14, 26 and 44 from Fleabay

railsquid

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 12, 2018, 10:13:50 PM
Add to the above list the class 22 and 27 with the 59's due we know not when. Maybe still possible to pick up a 17, 26 and 44 from Fleabay

Shurely you mean a 14? The nearest thing to a 17 in actual purchasable state is Lima's faux rendering of a DB V100.

Newportnobby

Quote from: railsquid on November 13, 2018, 12:10:05 AM
Add to the above list the class 22 and 27 with the 59's due we know not when. Maybe still possible to pick up a 17, 26 and 44 from Fleabay

Shurely you mean a 14? The nearest thing to a 17 in actual purchasable state is Lima's faux rendering of a DB V100.

Quite right, Have amended my post, but please don't call me Shirley.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Train Waiting

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 13, 2018, 09:50:05 AM

Roger, Roger.
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

emjaybee

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

railsquid

Now there's a thought, Shirley - every new N gauge modeller should be issued with a genuine Lima locomotive which they are encourage to take out and run prod into jerky life every time they get frustrated with contemporary offerings.

Train Waiting

Quote from: railsquid on November 13, 2018, 11:15:51 AM

Now there's a thought, Shirley - every new N gauge modeller should be issued with a genuine Lima locomotive which they are encourage to take out and run prod into jerky life every time they get frustrated with contemporary offerings.

What a splendid idea!  May I please have a Nickel Plate Road 'Berkshire' 2-8-4?  And somewhere nice to put her as I fear she won't fit my local Waverley Route loading gauge.  Genuine Lima 'Superpower' at its best, in my view.

Hospital, Doctor; what is it?
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

emjaybee

Brookline build thread:

emjaybee

Quote from: Train Waiting on November 13, 2018, 03:39:06 PM
Quote from: railsquid on November 13, 2018, 11:15:51 AM

What a splendid idea!  May I please have a Nickel Plate Road 'Berkshire' 2-8-4?  And somewhere nice to put her as I fear she won't fit my local Waverley Route loading gauge.  Genuine Lima 'Superpower' at its best, in my view.

You want it?

You got it!

https://youtu.be/qVH7ZUbowMU

:D

Brookline build thread:

Les1952

Quote from: emjaybee on November 13, 2018, 04:08:40 PM
Quote from: Train Waiting on November 13, 2018, 03:39:06 PM

You want it?

You got it!

https://youtu.be/qVH7ZUbowMU

:D

Nice.  Shame about that misshapen wasp-coloured monstrosity coupled behind the water tender.....

Les

Webbo

What a beauty, emjaybee!  And a decent whistle unlike the tin whistle efforts that come from British steam locomotives. That wasp coloured monstrosity that Les refers to is an ES44AC in heritage colours. These are pretty impressive and imposing locomotives in real life.

Webbo

emjaybee

I didn't know what loco he was refering to, so I Google'd it and found the video. I was that impressed, I thought I'd pop it up here.

Glad it wasn't a wasted effort.

;D
Brookline build thread:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31