The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrevL

Apparently, the beeb don't use the met office for their weather reports anymore, it's someone called MeteoGroup, maybe that's something to do with it.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Newportnobby

Quote from: TrevL on August 20, 2020, 02:14:41 PM
Apparently, the beeb don't use the met office for their weather reports anymore, it's someone called MeteoGroup, maybe that's something to do with it.

But surely they source the info for both the BBC website and for Carol (there's a warm front coming in) Kirkwood?

TrevL

Are you refering to the magnificent Pinky and Perky? ;)
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Newportnobby

Quote from: TrevL on August 20, 2020, 03:04:08 PM
Are you refering to the magnificent Pinky and Perky? ;)

I couldn't possibly comment :no: ;)
(I nearly typed "I couldn't possibly expand on that" but it would have been worse)

dannyboy

It just grows on you don't it?
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Malc

I would think that Carol would check on the facts during the rehearsals so is probably more accurate, but the web site will probably only be updated once a day, if not once every few days.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

stevewalker

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 19, 2020, 01:21:03 PM
And another one while I'm here. ...........

Seems there was a drinking party in Manchester with 100 or so people present.

How about allowing the authorities to break such gatherings up with tear gas/water cannon?

I have often thought that where groups are too large to safely break up, they should be given a 15 minute warning to disperse and any failing to do so should be sprayed with bright orange, indelible dye. A couple of weeks of not being able to go out without being spotted by everyone might be a good deterrent.

guest311

first job when I left school in 196x  :-[ was at the Met office, or to give it it's full title in those days 'Air Ministry Meteorological Office'.

interview at RAF Upavon,
then letter telling me to report to RAF Lynham awaiting a training course.
'worked' under supervision in both the main office, and the office in the control tower, where I learnt to take obs, how to code and send them, and also how to launch and track weather baloons

lived in the RAF transit block,but was well looked after by the various guys there  :beers:

then posted to Stanmore to the Met Office training school, and on completion of my course was posted to the Central Forecasting Office at the then HQ in Bracknel

we lived in a large house, and between work and our accomodation was a lovely pub, 'The Boot'  :beers:

work comprised plotting maps for the forecasters, and after a while I was moved downstairs to the long range forecasting department where we collated data from the daily obs to plott on charts for 5 day and 30 day charts for the forecasters.

it was here that I had my first contact with a computer.

it was HUGE !

data was input on punched paper tape, having been transcribed from punched cards.

cutting edge stuff . :goggleeyes:

needless to say, got fed up with working in an office all day / night, and ended up leaving to get a job where I was actually outside.

now of course it's a commercial company, and can't even get the weather right today, let alone 5 or 30 days in advance, but no doubt makes a nice profit.

of course it's all computers and satellites nowadays, in those days there were ex corvettes on station in the Atlantic, and RAF Hastings flew met flights out into the Atlantic to take obs etc of what was really happening.

so inefficient and expensive no doubt, but we felt that it was capable of supplying accurate forecasts.

guest311

Quote from: stevewalker on August 21, 2020, 12:40:42 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on August 19, 2020, 01:21:03 PM
And another one while I'm here. ...........

Seems there was a drinking party in Manchester with 100 or so people present.

How about allowing the authorities to break such gatherings up with tear gas/water cannon?

I have often thought that where groups are too large to safely break up, they should be given a 15 minute warning to disperse and any failing to do so should be sprayed with bright orange, indelible dye. A couple of weeks of not being able to go out without being spotted by everyone might be a good deterrent.

they'd probably get legal aid to sue the police, and win compensation for damage and stress  :'(

Newportnobby

Can you imagine trying to fix a date for Operation Overlord with these numpties we have today?

guest311

probably, with their penchant for U turns, end up invading Isle of Man  >:D

Young Bulla

Not without self isolating for fourteen days first I hope!

guest311

might have to consult the algorithm ...

can't remember what the rule is this week, is it 2m or 1m apart, and do you need to wear a mask for a beach assault ?

I take it there would be someone at the bottom of the ramp taking temperatures ?

Jack

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 21, 2020, 02:13:06 PM
Can you imagine trying to fix a date for Operation Overlord with these numpties we have today?

HSE would would have had something to say about that and probably put a stop to it on the grounds of human safety......
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Trainfish

Quote from: stevewalker on August 21, 2020, 12:40:42 PM
I have often thought that where groups are too large to safely break up, they should be given a 15 minute warning to disperse and any failing to do so should be sprayed with bright orange, indelible dye.

You should take a walk around parts of Swindon, there are plenty of young 'ladies' there who have spent far too much on spray tans during lockdown and you'd never know whether they'd been to a dispersed gathering or not  :goggleeyes:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations