remember those brilliantastic sounds on the slam doors

Started by BROADTRAIN1979, April 04, 2011, 06:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BROADTRAIN1979

ere ...does anyone remember as a kid sitting in a emu  with ya mum or dad with a packet of treets  :P 414 501 305 etc....and listening with gleeglee to the sounds... :angel: i remember the 305s when cruising into liverpool street the noises god, like... tambourines milkbottles hissies spissie and even sissies and of course the obvious what makes the emu is clickkety clack ooooo i swoon with excitement has anyone  else mems of these great times and sounds??? the 501s used to rock from side to side heavy clacking and hisses and spisses oooooooooooooo.................

tadpole

....and the third rail DC units had an extra clicking/ticking/whirring noise that kicked in during station stops. Some sort of generator or something? Was it to keep the lights/power on if the traction motors weren't running?

I do a rather good imitation of this, and most other train-related noises (hence no interest in sound-chipping my trains), but I don't have the technology to upload a .wav file.

:Class414: :Class414:

Two rails good. Three better.

Tank

I believe that the clicking/ticking/whirring noise would be the air for the brakes building back up.

I miss hearing all of the doors being slammed at Purley station. :D

moogle

I remember getting on the train at Gravesend station to go to London or down to Margate for the day and hearing all the doors slamming followed by the whistle and then a few more doors slamming. Then the hissing and clunking sounds as they train started and ran slowly over the rail joints and points. Lovely.
It's just not the same on a Javelin!
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

elmo

On the subject of doors, I had the funniest experience when I visited the South Devon Railway. They actually publish a 'how to close the door' section on their paperwork. I thought at the time that some people must be rather stupid if they need to do that. Perhaps people are just too used to automation as I was waiting for my train home a HST pulled into Totnes station and after a while a head popped out of the door window towards station staff and in a panicky voice shouting 'excuse me I need to get out here'. I burst out laughing at the reply of 'there is a handle just under your elbow sir'. One bloke exits train with red face.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations