US fans - Runaway Train Film starring Jon Voight - what are those locos ???

Started by 4x2, September 19, 2012, 11:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x2

Just watched 'Runaway Train'... Great film, voted most under rated film of the 80's !
Has left me with a question though... I've just been on Wikipedia and it says the runaway consist is made up of a GP38/2 an F7 and 2x GP7's. It then goes into great detail about the history of the loco's and where about they are now...

Except I think it's complete mush !  :hmmm:

I've not been into US stuff for long, but I'm 99.9% sure the 2 GP7's are actually Alco RS11's. There are two main reasons, 1 - the body sides are quite flat on the RS11 as in the film, GP7's have many access doors which would be quite easy to spot. 2 - The bogies, GP7's use a distinctive type of bogie almost identical to the F7 - but in the film they are totally different, looking very much like Alco bogies ! Hence my confusion.... :confused2:

Has anybody else seen the film recently and have you the answer to my clearly insane quest for pointless information... :help:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

longbridge

You can always tell an RS11 by the scallops on top of the nose sections at either end

RS11 at the front, GP18 at the back

Keep on Smiling
Dave.

4x2

Having watched a few more clips, i think that they used both !  :doh:

The scenes where they are outside is clearly an RS11, but other shots such as the first time you see the locos, it's a pair of GP7's.

I think i'll call it quits there i think... Thanks for the pics Dave, you've made me want an RS11 in PC Livery now !
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations