Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gc4946

Quote from: gc4946 on June 03, 2014, 06:17:10 PM
Sometimes items come up on a well-known auction site that I'd see as desirable, but need repair, such as this FGW Dapol 153 below:

On close examination the model had one bogie missing and four of its air tanks missing, it was sold as such for spares or repair.

I fitted a spare bogie without gears and after cleaning the contacts it worked OK. Even though it drove on only one bogie there was no loss of power or adhesion.

However I have bits to repair this from a cannibalised non-powered unit (the missing bogie and air tanks) or already on order (gears) so this'll be repaired, after all.

With my Wessex Trains St Ives Bay 153 I can model the FGW transition period 2007-08 between the old and the new liveries.

I reinstated the four missing air tanks from my cannibalised 153 - this needed a fair degree of concentration not to damage the parts or their fixing positions on the chassis.
A pair of complete Scharfenburg couplings were attached and idler gears (bar one small cog which will be ordered soon) fitted on the ex-dummy bogie. The bogie collector springs have been replaced.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

kaiwhara

And then there were three....

All three units will in time be converted to South West Trains class 450/0 units. ERG Vynils have been ordered from Adam so hopefully will be here shortly. Just need to find some paint now!

Cheers

Andrew
:Class414:  :NGaugersRule: :Class37:

My Model Planning Thread:

(Click on Picture to view thread)

View my photos at my Flickr Account

kaiwhara

A clearer shot of the three units. You may ignore both the mess on the desk, and the Train Shaped Birthday card that the CEO sent me...

1936ace

When was your b'day mate. Anyway you know that you are not to buy all of them :D
Bart

kaiwhara

Quote from: 1936ace on June 05, 2014, 12:39:19 AM
When was your b'day mate. Anyway you know that you are not to buy all of them :D
Bart

Today!!!!!

1936ace

Well happy birthday mate. Do you feel older then yesterday? Good to see another Gemini here. For my b'day last Sunday I got from Nicole and the kids a 52 in blue and heaps of wagons from my parents and a mk1 sleeper from my sister
Bart

scruff

johnlambert

Treated myself to a Dapol class 14xx loco and auto coach in maroon before they all sold out:

Box was a bit battered and the front vacuum hose on the loco had broken off but as it ran ok I decided to fix it rather than return it.

Also bought this Dapol Siphon G in weathered condition:

Finally, a selection of goods vehicles for fitted freight trains:

Closer look at the vehicle types.  From left to right; Peco BR brake van; Poole Farish single vent van; Peco 12T van; Peco pipe wagon.

talisman56

My purchases from the NGS Show...

Triple pack high-side steel opens (weathered), Conflat and BD container (my prize draw selection) and NGS Stove 'R' in maroon. The Conflat/container was in a box labelled 377-328; when I got home and opened the box, I saw that the Conflat is a GWR liveried one that should be in a 377-327 box - the container is the right one for 377-328.  :doh: :hmmm:

If anyone needs a GWR Conflat and has a BR Bauxite one to swap...  :wave:

BR Mark 1 CK in BR(SR) Green livery - to be renumbered to S15913 for my set 560.

A future project - to appear as one of the sets 963-980.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Les1952

Having shown a trio  of LNER pacifics last time I posted, what could Hawthorn Dene get as its next motive power?  I think the answer to that goes without saying.....

Bringing up the rear in reply #1763 was an anonymous A3.  This one is now, as predicted, 60085 MANNA, known to spotters around the North East as "Manna from Heaton", as that was where it was shedded.  A little work to do clearing the glue from around the nameplate (as with the other two).  Very many thanks to Ray Hansen for looking the plates out for me.

I dion't really need another A4, two really being more than enough for the layout, but I was unable to resist a bargain.  Dapol's 60005 has the wrong tender fitted so acquiring one as a bargain meant it just had to be renumbered.  When I was a youngster the very first model A4 I saw was owned by my mate Mike- a Hornby Dublo Golden Fleece.  So, in homage to that- here is 60030 GOLDEN FLEECE.  Note the done-up buffers.  It just needs to be satin varnished and a trace of black along the boiler top.

Having said for a while when they first came out I wasn't going to have a Farish A1 I eventually succumbed, and now have two......
This one was already chipped, except its running was best described as rubbish.  Changing the chip sorted that out and its performance is now fine.  60116 HAL O'THE WYND  is another Tyneside loco, again shedded at Heaton.

Not really a latest purchase as far as the loco is concerned, I've had this one a few years.  HOWEVER the "latest purchase" is chipping by Digitrains.  60501 'male chicken' (changed by forum) O'THE NORTH is a Thompson A2/2, rebuilt from Gresley's P2 2-8-2 to make a rather messy pacific, regarded on the ECML as a bit of a failure.  However Thompson's "failures" ran 10,000 miles more every year than the Western Region's top link Castles, so perhaps the word failure is just relative to the A1s and A4 classes.  60501 was a York engine, and worked fitted freight in the main, with holiday releif expresses and some turns on standby.  The model is a Pro-Models conversion, with metal body on a rebuilt V2 chassis. 

Too many pacifics?  Not yet.

All the very best
Les

portland-docks

Quote from: Les1952 on June 08, 2014, 08:56:40 PM

I dion't really need another A4, two really being more than enough for the layout, but I was unable to resist a bargain.  Dapol's 60005 has the wrong tender fitted so acquiring one as a bargain meant it just had to be renumbered.  When I was a youngster the very first model A4 I saw was owned by my mate Mike- a Hornby Dublo Golden Fleece.  So, in homage to that- here is 60030 GOLDEN FLEECE.  Note the done-up buffers.  It just needs to be satin varnished and a trace of black along the boiler top.

whats wrong with the A4 tender?

i have Bittern in br green and need to swap the tender shell over for a corridor tender, as preserved.
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

GScaleBruce

I absolutely love the attention to detail in the last few posts. But as an N scale newbie, tell me, how on earth do you renumber a coach? :confused1: I mean, I get the idea, but the practicalities? I struggle to renumber vehicles in G scale...
Bruce
My DB themed layout - Steinheim am Main My BR themed layout - Stoneham Yard My T-Trak module - Güterbahnhof Friesdorf
My SNCF modelling thread - Gare de Ligugé My layout planning thread - Peterhampton Junction

talisman56

My way of renumbering a coach is to gently rub the old one off with a trace of T-Cut on a cotton bud - removes the printed-on number and at the same time, polishes up the underlying surface so that it is receptive to the decal for the new number. The new numbers are taken from the ModelMasters sheet(s) available from the NGS. It so happens that the numbers I want are provided on the sheets I can get. Once the decal is dry I paint a layer of Humbrol DecalFix on to protect it.

I have a few Crimson/Cream coaches I need to renumber and the style of numbers I want are not available so I'm going to look at producing them myself using Crafty Computer decal paper...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

EtchedPixels

Patience, a magnifier and a small brush. It also helps to do it upside down I find. Also you can get all the numbers in one transfer which helps.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations