Dapol Website

Started by port perran, November 07, 2012, 08:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyGif

Quote from: tim-pelican on November 08, 2012, 03:39:59 PM
and it doesn't have the super-powers for Evil everyone seems to want to credit it with...

it would if steve jobs had thought of it first........

EtchedPixels

If you create an account and look at the Dapol page, Facebook will know there's someone with your name who's interested in model trains.

And every site you visit thereafter the cookie on your web browser means every page you visit with a facebook button it they know and can track and tie down to you individually. Thats why the want everything having facebook like buttons - every one they serve is a little tracker.

They are not unique in this of course... the Google buttons work the same way

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Newportnobby

pictures of yourself naked, drunk and cavorting with goats, then yes, some personal information will have leaked!

Dammit - I have been hacked :-[ :laugh:

Caz

Quote from: newportnobby on November 08, 2012, 05:35:43 PM
pictures of yourself naked, drunk and cavorting with goats, then yes, some personal information will have leaked!

Dammit - I have been hacked :-[ :laugh:

Any chance of a link Mick, love to see the pictures  :P   :P   :P
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

port perran

Quote from: Tank on November 08, 2012, 03:25:29 PM
Perhaps it would help if we got together as a forum and put our thoughts into saying what we'd like to see on the Dapol website?  Then I can pass it on to them.  It's very hard to run a website and to keep on top of it. :)  I'm sure they'd welcome our views.

I'd be interested in this .    Anyone else. It probably needs a small group to share ideas but everyone else could be invited to contribute.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Caz

Me too, do anything to make the Dapol website actually useful  :-X
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Newportnobby

While I agree with the sentiments expressed about us giving pointers to Dapol as to how they could improve their website, I think you should be aware that Dapol think this forum has a downer on them (source Dave Jones) due to the poor reviews given by us, in particular their steam locos. As such, any comment may be taken as criticism even if it is meant to be helpful/constructive.
It may be better if Dapol were approached and asked if they would welcome any input from us before any other action is taken.

Tank

That's exactly why I was trying to steer the thoughts of everyone from criticising to helping to suggest improvements.  I always welcome ideas to this website, so hopefully they would as well.

MikeDunn

Quote from: newportnobby on November 08, 2012, 08:32:46 PM
I think you should be aware that Dapol think this forum has a downer on them (source Dave Jones) due to the poor reviews given by us, in particular their steam locos.
Here's a daring thought ...

Maybe if they addressed the issues around those aspects they think we're complaining about (and indeed a lot of others are), we wouldn't complain ?

Just my tupp'orth ..

scruff

Quote from: newportnobby on November 08, 2012, 08:32:46 PM
While I agree with the sentiments expressed about us giving pointers to Dapol as to how they could improve their website, I think you should be aware that Dapol think this forum has a downer on them (source Dave Jones) due to the poor reviews given by us, in particular their steam locos. As such, any comment may be taken as criticism even if it is meant to be helpful/constructive.

Jeez! and there I have been trying to keep people on here informed about Dapol and it's news and new products and stuff. I feel a bit insulted now! I even posted news and stuff about their kettles! and I am definitely not a kettle fan! I have stuck up for them when things are being said and asked for fairness in complaints.
I've seen the stick that Dave gets elsewhere and can understand his frustration at having to deal with it all. I do wish we could have a rep from both the big manufacturers on here and then they would see there is no downer on any company/person. I believe Dapol were offered their own section on this forum some time back. It was a shame they didn't take up the offer.
Cheers

Mark
Dapol 16 Farish 12

OwL

If people keep telling big companies (whoever they are) that they are crap, they will stop listening.

It is better for the group (us) to collect all of our constructive criticisms and present them as a oner as already suggested.
If they then choose to ignore and not improve the issues we are faced with, such as poor running in some cases on various loco's, particularly steam and a less than user friendly website then I'm sure people will vote with their wallets.
That's when they will take note..............

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

port perran

We seem to have gone off topic here. I originally made a comment about Dapol's website being unhelpful.
It was nothing to do with their products.
I agree with Tank that it might be an idea for us as a "Forum Group" to suggest ways of improving their site.
It is no use simply criticising we need to be constructive and suggest improvements.
As it stands the site is of little use (as I see it). Websites are there to provide information clearly and in an informative way. This one doesn't as the moment.
I'd be up for collating suggested improvements (To Website NOT locos).
What do people think ?
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

GerryB

I think it's an excellent idea, and I also agree the focus should be on the website rather than the loco's.

Gerry

OwL

Yes I think you are right, we have gone off Topic. :sorrysign: Just Focusing on Dapol's website then it is in great need of an overhaul to bring it to a user friendly standard.

At present, information On the site is sketchy at best. There are no stand out features on it. It is also difficult to Navigate. Their models are now sold in branded blue box's instead of purple, why did they not coincide a website revamp in the same style at the same time ????

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Newportnobby

P-P is quite correct.
The thread was about the website and its usefulness.
I would like to thank him for the offer of collating any suggestions and will send a PM over the weekend once I have spoken to others on the Admin team about how best to (a) go about it and (b) how to present the findings to Dapol.
Watch this space...........................

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations