The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaiwhara

Now I am really angry, I have been quoted a total of NZD3580 to replace the Clutch and Bearing, and Ford quoted even more just for the Clutch. At this rate I am looking at a new car!

Best Birthday Ever (Not)  :computerangry:
:Class414:  :NGaugersRule: :Class37:

My Model Planning Thread:

(Click on Picture to view thread)

View my photos at my Flickr Account

Jack

Quote from: kaiwhara on June 05, 2012, 05:05:28 AM
Now I am really angry, I have been quoted a total of NZD3580 to replace the Clutch and Bearing, and Ford quoted even more just for the Clutch. At this rate I am looking at a new car!

What!!! :o  That's about £1700 for a full clutch  kit and fitting, and I thought our country was a rip off sort of place.

I won't mention what I've been quoted for a full kit and fitting for my 03 Mondeo but it was no where near that sort of cost.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

kaiwhara

No trains for me for quite a while!

longbridge

Quote from: kaiwhara on June 05, 2012, 05:05:28 AM

Crikey that is daylight robbery, could be time for you to join the rest of your compatriots over here in Australia, we only half rob you.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Oldman

There I was thinking £500 was a lot to fit an uprated clutch in an Imprezza.
Could understand the price if it was a torque convertor for an auto box.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Agrippa

Things that get my goat

Horseracing , especially Royal Ascot
Eamonn Holmes
Weather girls
Billy Bragg
Kebabs
Third rate British hotels usually overpriced
Tattoos
David Beckham's clobber
Russell Grant
Celebs doing it for Chariteeee

Oh dear the list is endless
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

kaiwhara

I wish it were 500 Quid, under Currency conversion the Mondeo Wagon was a little more than that at NZ$1200, which is what I was expecting for this one. Sadly not.

Oh, and as far as I can tell, it is just a simple, Garden Variety Clutch, nothing special to it as far as my very limited knowledge of Car's goes...

Quote from: Oldman on June 05, 2012, 08:17:24 AM

longbridge

Quote from: Agrippa on June 05, 2012, 08:34:13 AM
Things that get my goat

Horseracing , especially Royal Ascot
Eamonn Holmes
Weather girls
Billy Bragg
Kebabs
Third rate British hotels usually overpriced
Tattoos
David Beckham's clobber
Russell Grant
Celebs doing it for Chariteeee

Oh dear the list is endless

:smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:  That reminds me of a mate of mine, when he was asked if he was racist he said no way I just don't like anybody at all.

Me I just don't like all the brainwashing that goes on these days, if I had my way I would put scissors through the TV cable chuck the radio and not buy newspapers, trouble is SWMBO likes that junk.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Joe 90

Quote from: kaiwhara on June 05, 2012, 09:14:18 AM
I wish it were 500 Quid, under Currency conversion the Mondeo Wagon was a little more than that at NZ$1200, which is what I was expecting for this one. Sadly not.

Oh, and as far as I can tell, it is just a simple, Garden Variety Clutch, nothing special to it as far as my very limited knowledge of Car's goes...

Quote from: Oldman on June 05, 2012, 08:17:24 AM

Last year the engine on my 10yr old Ford Mondeo decided to give up the ghost, it only had 60000miles on the clock, and the main dealers quoted me £4000 to repair it. So now it is in the scrapheap in the sky. How it has become so expensive to repair anything these days is beyond me. And it is not just cars. It is now making us a throwaway society as it has become cheaper to buy a new item than repair it.

Progress, I suppose.............

StufromEGDL

QuoteAnd it is not just cars. It is now making us a throwaway society as it has become cheaper to buy a new item than repair it.

Bit like Dapol locos then....

Later;
STU from EGDL
:Class89:
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

Malc

Quote from: Joe 90 on June 05, 2012, 12:18:52 PM

Last year the engine on my 10yr old Ford Mondeo decided to give up the ghost, it only had 60000miles on the clock, and the main dealers quoted me £4000 to repair it. So now it is in the scrapheap in the sky. How it has become so expensive to repair anything these days is beyond me. And it is not just cars. It is now making us a throwaway society as it has become cheaper to buy a new item than repair it.

Many years ago, a pal of mine took a Mondeo to a Ford dealership to get a new clutch. The Service Manager asked him if he wanted to wait, so he sat in the "lounge" and watched the guy work on his car. It took about 40 mins. When he was presented with the bill, there was 2 hours labour charge, which he queried. He was told that 2 hours was the time allowed by Ford for changing a clutch and if he wanted his car back, that was what he had to pay.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Jack

Quote from: StufromEGDL on June 05, 2012, 12:32:57 PM
QuoteAnd it is not just cars. It is now making us a throwaway society as it has become cheaper to buy a new item than repair it.

Bit like Dapol locos then....

Later;
STU from EGDL
:Class89:

Now don't get me started. Bought four, three died within warranty, one died after 6 months & 2 days, (that's 2 days after the warranty ran out) That one is still with BR Lines.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

SymonC

Quote from: Malc on June 05, 2012, 12:42:13 PM

Many years ago, a pal of mine took a Mondeo to a Ford dealership to get a new clutch. The Service Manager asked him if he wanted to wait, so he sat in the "lounge" and watched the guy work on his car. It took about 40 mins. When he was presented with the bill, there was 2 hours labour charge, which he queried. He was told that 2 hours was the time allowed by Ford for changing a clutch and if he wanted his car back, that was what he had to pay.

A couple of years ago I had some work done my our old Honda Civic, we waited while the work was carried out.

It took just under 30 minutes.

When I was presented with the bill I was charged for one hour's labour.  When I queried this I was told, it normally takes an hour but our best mechanic did your work and his really quick.

After 10 minutes arguing where I pointed out that it wasn't my fault if the mechanic only took 30 minutes they reluctantly halved the labour charge!

Safe to say that I've never used that dealer again!

Newportnobby

Quote from: SymonC on June 05, 2012, 01:17:43 PM
Quote from: Malc on June 05, 2012, 12:42:13 PM

A couple of years ago I had some work done my our old Honda Civic, we waited while the work was carried out.

It took just under 30 minutes.

When I was presented with the bill I was charged for one hour's labour.  When I queried this I was told, it normally takes an hour but our best mechanic did your work and his really quick.

After 10 minutes arguing where I pointed out that it wasn't my fault if the mechanic only took 30 minutes they reluctantly halved the labour charge!

Safe to say that I've never used that dealer again!

Ah - but if you had argued faster you'd have had the same result in half the time ;D

4x2

When your car dies, take it anywhere EXCEPT the main dealer !!!!

They will empty your wallet faster than the Tax man !
I'm lucky, most faults i can fix myself, but every now and then an awkward job comes up and i have to farm it out. I use a local garage with a very good reputaion and experienced staff - good tip, if the guy holding the spanner looks like an extra from 'the land that time forgot' chances are he's about to cause more problems than you started with !

Kwik fit are also worth avoiding... A good friend of mine booked an MOT and ended up paying more than his car was worth, and it was no better other than the mot certificate...  :o
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations