Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Ah, dunno if it was just me taking a break during lockdown from:

a) mucking around with me layout
b) mucking around building electronics
c) mucking around trying to get Arduino do what I want it to
d) mucking around a heck of a lot on this forum
e) reading Dannyboy's jokes

But I actually took a look around Chez Bealman (I'd normally be down the bowlo by now), and realised we're at the end of Autumn!

Of course, you Northern Hemisphere types are at the end of Spring.

The Japanese maple (in Japan, just maple, I'm given to understand) in the backyard of Chez Bealman contrasts to the eucalypts in the street in the background, and those on distant Mount Kembla.

Ok, no big deal I guess, but trees that seasonally lose their leaves here are of course, imports! (I planted this one in the early eighties)

Just nice to see the red colour.

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Graham

Just returned from seeing the eldest daughter up in the Dandenong hills and seeing all the colour on the trees made us realise how much of the beautiful autumn time up there we have missed.

Platy767

There is a liquidamber on the council strip out the front (there were 2, but we got 1 dangerous one taken out last year) that has lovely colour, but is a real mess of leaf drop in my front native garden.

Bealman

Yes, big deciduous trees like that do make a mess this time of year. But in the case of that particular tree, I'd be more worried about the roots. I planted a Liquid Amber on the council strip between the house and the creek back in the mid eighties. Fast forward to 2015 and the thing was huge, and it's roots extremely extensive.

I found them under footpaths and under garden beds in the backyard, a considerable distance away. So if they were there, they would most certainly be under the footings of the house. It simply had to go!!

Luckily, being on council land, and not being an Australian native tree I managed to persuade the council to remove it for nothing. Even then, the roots refused to die, even though the stump had been ground away. Shoots continually continued to sprout from the roots.

It took many drill holes and application of copper sulphate for me to finally abolish the thing.

Beautiful looking tree, but you don't want it near the house.  :no:

And I didn't even mention the blocked gutters from the leaves!

The Q

I don't know about end of spring,  we've had no rain for a month , there wasn't a lot in the month before either,  my grass is looking distinctly brown.

Bealman

As long as you don't get fires, mate. You don't want those.  :no:

Here's a very deep and dangerous hole where the Liquid Amber was removed. I should get on to council to fill it, because they won't if I don't!!

Bealman

The Japanese Maple loses leaves in the backyard, which bothers Mrs B, as it means clean-up. I personally don't mind it as it reminds me of kicking through autumn leaves on the way back from school as a kid.

However, they fall on the other side of the fence:

....and that does bother me, as they blow into the home of my layout!!  ;)

Bealman

Was greeted by this when I opened the blind this morning, which was kind of nice.  :thumbsup:

railsquid

You have talking trees in Australia?  :goggleeyes: Cool  :thumbsup:

Bealman

Yeah.... the Wollongong branch is particularly vocal.  :)

Trainfish

It took me a while but I finally twigged what you are talking about  :doh:
John

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

See my latest Youtube video                          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<         
See a random video of mine                           >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<         
An even older random video of mine             >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: railsquid on June 09, 2020, 05:34:34 AM
You have talking trees in Australia?  :goggleeyes: Cool  :thumbsup:

Paid-up members of the Australian Conversation Foundation :D

joe cassidy

George, looks like you still have telegraph poles in New South Wales.

Am I right ?

Platy767

I'm butting in here, but yes, in most places in NSW there are power poles to carry both domestic power and sometimes broadband, and sometimes telephony. Where I am in North Western Sydney, in our local estate, there are no poles and wires, just old wires in the ground (unfortunately we have power service interruptions due to old cables).

Mark

Bealman

Sorry for the tardy reply. Yes, most places (especially country towns) have poles. Strictly speaking, they are power poles rather than telegraph poles.

Our street has above ground power poles up to our nearest cross street. After that they started installing underground power to the newer part of the street, so Chez Bealman has underground power.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations