The Adventures of Globibahn

Started by Globibahn, January 17, 2021, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Globibahn

Quote from: swisstrains on November 18, 2022, 08:27:18 PM
Quote from: Globibahn on November 18, 2022, 04:09:29 PM
And language laerning partners are also to be recommended! :thumbsup: ;)

I think you also need an English one Matt. :D

Touché!  :D

Globibahn

I think it may be that Lidl Dresden read my review of their first Cheddar attempt and have now responded by upping their game.

I found this in the cheese department today. Still produced by Dale farm in Ireland, however it is 9 months matured and has premium-ish packaging. A taste test will follow!

Globibahn

Well, I have now done the taste test. Not at all bad, I must say.

On a ranking scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being 'a non-descript, generic, cheese like substance' and 10 being 'hand made, Mendip hill, cave-aged cheddar', I would give it a 5.

Will certainly buy it again, as it is also good value.

Well done Lidl.

Globibahn

Accidentally discovered a rather good SBB photo gallery. You can actually download images as hi res Tifs.

Some nice shots of the Wiener Walzer sleeping train 1975. And the queen also makes an appearance!

https://ba.e-pics.ethz.ch/main/galleryview/qsr=Personenwagen%20(Eisenbahn

swisstrains

Thanks Matt.  :thumbsup:
Some really interesting historic photos and not just SBB. Great find.

Dave_K

Quote from: Globibahn on November 22, 2022, 05:12:04 PM
Well, I have now done the taste test. Not at all bad, I must say.
On a ranking scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being 'a non-descript, generic, cheese like substance' and 10 being 'hand made, Mendip hill, cave-aged cheddar', I would give it a 5.
Will certainly buy it again, as it is also good value.
Well done Lidl.

This is what I come here for, in-depth cheese testing and analysis.  :thumbsup:

Globibahn

Quote from: swisstrains on November 23, 2022, 08:52:12 AM
Thanks Matt.  :thumbsup:
Some really interesting historic photos and not just SBB. Great find.

My pleasure John. Yes there is lots to browse through that is of interest! :thumbsup:

Globibahn

This is what I come here for, in-depth cheese testing and analysis.  :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Sourcing and evaluating cheese is an important activity! ;D

ntpntpntp

It's one of the main reasons I've always enjoyed going to the European N Scale Convention:  The Italians seem to fill half their van with wine and cheese :D
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Globibahn

Hi folks,

I recently told my mum that I'm not likely to return to the UK. She is getting fairly miserable alone in the UK and is now strongly considering a move back to her homeland of Switzerland to be near relatives.

This raises the issue of the Globibahn, the main base of which is in storage in mum's garage. I can't bring it here to Germany, that is too complicated, so I am considering letting go of it.

One thing, I can't part with the buildings, as they are too personal too me. So anyone who takes it on would need to add their own buildings.

I would also need to arrange access to my flat let, so I could extract some bits from my own loft.

Anyway, nothing is certain yet, mum has not made a definite decision at time of writing.

weave

Hi Matt,

Sorry to hear you're mum is lonely but will be nice for her to go back home to Switzerland. Shame about the layout. Could she not take it with her or is that too much hassle/expense? You must have thought of that but thought I'd ask.

Hope you're well and still having a good time.

Cheers, weave  :beers:

Globibahn

Quote from: weave on November 30, 2022, 09:55:12 AM
Hi Matt,

Sorry to hear you're mum is lonely but will be nice for her to go back home to Switzerland. Shame about the layout. Could she not take it with her or is that too much hassle/expense? You must have thought of that but thought I'd ask.

Hope you're well and still having a good time.

Cheers, weave  :beers:

Hi Weave,

Yes getting on well here thanks! Mum would also be making a drastic downsize to a small flat in Switzerland, so there is no possibility of her storing the layout for me.

swisstrains

I didn't expect to read that Matt but I'm sure you have thought about it long and hard.  This country of ours is in a right state and is likely to be for quite some time so you could well be doing mum a favour if she does decide to move back to Switzerland.
You both have my best wishes for whatever happens and let's hope that Globibahn can also find a new home.

GScaleBruce

Quote from: Globibahn on November 30, 2022, 09:26:19 AM
I recently told my mum that I'm not likely to return to the UK.

A bold and, I'm sure, wise decision, Matt, and one I wish I'd followed through on myself at your age. I wish you every success.

She is getting fairly miserable alone in the UK and is now strongly considering a move back to her homeland of Switzerland to be near relatives.

A tough one, and I'm assuming advancing years are playing on her mind, but if she's feeling lonely, you're in Germany and she has relatives in Switzerland...
Bruce
My DB themed layout - Steinheim am Main My BR themed layout - Stoneham Yard My T-Trak module - Güterbahnhof Friesdorf
My SNCF modelling thread - Gare de Ligugé My layout planning thread - Peterhampton Junction

Globibahn

Quote from: GScaleBruce on November 30, 2022, 08:54:43 PM
I recently told my mum that I'm not likely to return to the UK.

A bold and, I'm sure, wise decision, Matt, and one I wish I'd followed through on myself at your age. I wish you every success.

She is getting fairly miserable alone in the UK and is now strongly considering a move back to her homeland of Switzerland to be near relatives.

A tough one, and I'm assuming advancing years are playing on her mind, but if she's feeling lonely, you're in Germany and she has relatives in Switzerland...

Hi Bruce,

Thank you that is kind of you to say! Work has been going well and I fit in just fine. I feel like I am growing and responding to the challenges well. When I am at home in the UK I just sort of stay the same.

Yes, mum is 77 and although basically well now, it is worth planning now what to do if she ever needs support.

Matt

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations