Loco wheels slipping

Started by Frenchie, February 28, 2013, 03:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frenchie

I've just got an old Grafar B1 back from BR Lines. As usual the workmanship is first class and the motor itself is working fine — which is why I'm  not inclined to (probably) waste his time by sending it back again.
Thing is that though the motor works, the loco doesn't go anywhere! I've tried cleaning the wheels and I've tried cleaning the track — no joy. It could be partly a weight problem since it goes (sort of) if I blu-tack a couple of Peco track rubbers to the top! Even that doesn't make all that much of a difference.
Anyone out there with any suggestions?

scotsoft

Could you fit some traction tyres to it?

cheers John.

Frenchie

Errr .... possibly.
If I knew what I was doing! :doh:
I'll order some from Hattons (damn! I've just got an order in transit — Sod's Law strikes again!) and see how I get on.
Cheers.

EtchedPixels

Check the loco isn't holding the tender wheels up off the track slightly.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Frenchie

Sorry, EP, you've lost me.
If the tender wheels weren't in contact with the track the loco wheels wouldn't be turning. The problem is they're turning fine — just not going anywhere.
(I hae me doots about traction tyres on the tender for much the same reason.)

scotsoft

If you have any heatshrink the correct size you could try that in place of traction tyres.

The tyres would surely have to go on the loco if it is getting power from the tender  :worried:

cheers John.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Frenchie on February 28, 2013, 04:47:26 PM
Sorry, EP, you've lost me.

What model do you actually have - the Farish B1 is tender drive and they've never released a loco drive B1.

Alan

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Frenchie

EP, the simple answer is I don't have a clue! for all I know it could be a kit and I couldn't even tell you where I got it from. It's been "in the stock box" for years until I dragged it out when I moved here and started a new layout.
It's got a Grafar chassis and pick-ups on the tender wheels driving the motor in the loco.

EtchedPixels

Sounds like the old Langley kit with a white metal body. In which case similar things apply. If the tender/loco coupling isn't dead level then it tends to lift off the rails and not run properly.

If you put it all on the track and push gently down over the whole of the loco does the back of the tender rise up from the rails ?

Alan

Frenchie

QuoteSounds like the old Langley kit with a white metal body.
You could be right. Did they do an A3 as well? I've got one of those with a Trix chassis. I can't imagine who made them. I never had that skill.
No ... nothing amiss when I try pressing on the loco. The coupling appears level to the MkI eyeball and there's no up and down movement.
Obviously the traction tyres aren't going to be the solution.

Newportnobby

Have you by any chance cleaned the track with something extremely slippy :confused1:

Frenchie

QuoteHave you by any chance cleaned the track with something extremely slippy
No. And to make doubly sure I took a section of unused track, "ran" the loco, cleaned the track with a Peco rubber, and "ran" the loco again.
Same result.

keithfre

I'd be inclined to get really close with a magnifying glass (or a USB microscope, if I had one) and see what's happening.

MJKERR

I had a similar issue with an older Farish Class 47
It was working fine before I sent it away
It worked for about two hours then just sat with the wheels spinning
I tried to find what the issue was
Given the cost I decided to break it up for spares instead

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP