Milky white Varnish........... ..HELP

Started by exmouthcraig, September 16, 2019, 10:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exmouthcraig

:veryangry: :veryangry:

After renumbering 7x N class Moguls and 4x Merchant Navies I have a big problem.

I remove the existing numbers using T cut and a cocktail stick in a masked off area, this once the number is removed is polished with water and a cotton bud to leave a nice gloss finish for the decal to be applied.

These are Fox numbers and perfect sized and coloured if I'm not changing the whole number, removed from backing in clean cold water then once dried I brush over a thin layer of Micro-set to remove the carrier film border.

All good so far.

So tonight I thought I'd be clever, these are all to be back in their boxes as were still not running anything yet so I thought I'd apply a thin layer of Matt Varnish and job done. I only have Humbrol Clear Matt in the box, I've used their Clear Gloss to good effect and even their Acrylic Varnish Matt rattle can has come up trumps before.

I shook the bottle vigorously for a couple of minutes and the bottle frothed upto the top,  I flat brushed a thin layer over all the cabside numbers and now after 3hrs the numbers are pristine and flat matt BUT the section of cabside around them is all milky white.

I dont really want to have to renumber them all AGAIN so what can I do to hide the balls up??????
:helpneededsign:

Paul-H

Unfortunately a quick Google shows this is a common problem with this product.

I assume it's the one in the glass bottle? But the same can be said for their Enamel and Acrylic versions as well.

The problem is that they and most other makers use pumiss as the matting agent and they appear to use too much, so it dries milky.

Testers Dullcote is said to be very good as is the one I use https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/XDFF

As to your problem, if it is the one in the glass bottle that IIRC is an acrylic based product so should be removable but it might remove the decals. So you may have to start again.

Don't try 're coating as that will just seal the milky coat in.

Sorry not to be able to offer a good solution to your problem.

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

exmouthcraig

:'( thanks Paul, it is what it is,

I should of waited and got something better.

The numbers are fine it's just all round the edges where its settled.

Looks like I'm buying more decals from Fox then

The Q

Milkyness in any varnish is often caused by dampness /water.. How long did you give the transfers to dry?.. I'd give them at least a couple of days in a dry warm place.. (but I live in a very humid area)

Paul-H

If its not been on too long and therefor not fully cured you might be lucky with rubbing it with a wet cotton bud, just try water first, before trying something a little stronger, or even just T Cut and stopping before you start rubbing the decal away.  IPA will take the decal off but Rubbing alcohol may be less aggressive.

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Dr Al

Quote from: Paul-H on September 17, 2019, 06:40:16 AM
Testers Dullcote is said to be very good as is the one I use https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/XDFF

Dullcote used to be good, but now it's stupid EU friendly formula is mediocre at best, and completely useless at worst.

I've changed to airbrushing Phoenix Precision Satin and Matt. Their satin matches fairly well Farish's original finishes. The matt is hard hard matt, very like Dullcote of old.

For patch painting, I still used Humbrol Matt Cote, Satin Cote and Gloss Cote. These are not the same as the clear product (the matt cote product number is AC5601; clear that you used is AC7434). Assuming it's the same as when I bought it, it's utterly reliable as long as mixed fully.

It is likely that the reason for the problem is too heavy a coat or not fully mixed. In terms of fixing the problem - try a cotton bud and some white spirit. Gently burnish off the worst - don't go mad or it'll take off the lining, although in the worst case you can replace this via Fox again. I had this problem on my B12 (due to bad mixing of my Phoenix, and a little too heavy a coat), and rapidly went over it with white spirit. This came out fine in the end:

I doubt anyone would ever know it happened.

Cheers,
Alan

P.s. The B12 was done in Phoenix, as are the Fowler tank and 4MT recently on my workbench thread if you are looking for comparisons of what finish you get from various other options.
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

PaulCheffus

Hi

I used to use Dullcote but have also had variable results since the formula was changed so I have switched to Vallejo matt varnish through an airbrush. Gives a very matt finish.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

exmouthcraig

Thanks chaps  I have a bottle of humbrol matt Cote so will try water and a cotton bud, I thought I'd applied a thin coat BUT seeing as the white is all around the panel edge I guess it obviously wasnt thin enough.

IF I can get it polished off will Matt Cote over the top give me the flat finish I want or just leave alone and hide it with the weathering??

Dr Al

Matt cote is just that - a matt varnish, so it should give the finish you desire.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Simon D.

@PaulCheffus

Which Vallejo matt varnish do you use please - the acrylic or the polyurethane?

Cheers

PaulCheffus

Hi

The Acrylic ref. 70.520. It requires thinning to spray through the airbrush and I use Vallejo's own thinner ref. 70.524.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82%