what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caz

Quote from: westie7 on November 15, 2012, 08:22:16 PM
Quote from: whiteswan on November 13, 2012, 08:57:52 PM
What am I doing on my layout right now, nothing- given up, to many injuries, think I'll go back to my cross stitch and embroidery, much safer.  Sunday, knife slipped and cut into the tip of my middle finger and nail,

My sympathies, today I finished the TPM FPA kit that I stopped at the beginning of the year.

It goes something like this... whilst carving out the centre of the wagon for the cast frame the no.10 blade slipped and plunged into my thumb. CSI would have had a field day, two stitches and lots of numbness still.

But back at it now, 6 Russell FPA's done and all digits still in place. Those brake rigging etches Bernard does for the Farish AB Chassis are.. well.. a challenge

Rgds
Mark

Thanks for your sympathies, think I'll definately give them a miss  ;)  Once my swelling and soreness has subsided, think I'll go back to ballasting, much safer  :)
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

zwilnik

Did a little experiment with creating hedgerows today. I used some leftover bits of Javis flexible walling (basically foam rubber strip) that were in the job lot bundle of N Gauge bits I got a while back, ran them through a 75% PVA mix and stuck lumps of 'rough grass' (more like OO rough grass) flock to it, then attached to the layout with more PVA.

I added more clumps by placing them and dripping dilute 50% PVA onto them the same as you do when dry ballasting. Seems to work well for holding them in place.

Matthew-peter

Nothing right now but I shall be carrying on with the cottage gardens when I get back, Here is a photo 'so far'

Still requires a fare bit of work but getting there.

Also the experiment definitely worked 'Zwilnik'  :thumbsup:
OK who took my cake?

Jack

Trying out my new Woodland Scenics Wheeler Cleaner and Track Cleaner. Impressed with Track Cleaner, it appeared to clean the insides of the rails and not just the tops, but a little disappointed with the Wheel Cleaner.

While the Wheel Cleaner worked fine on most of my shed, my Class 47s/57s didn't like it!  :( I had to lightly press down on the locos for the wheels to make contact with the cleaner power rails due to the gear housing on the bogie tower. Still it was nice to run every loco and dmu  with clean wheels on a clean track. Next in line will be the rest of my rolling stock for wheel cleaning.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

bigbear

Trying to make Kestrel North light Factory kit look right! I've re-roofed it with a finer corrugated plastic, but the big windows don't look right for my 1948 -1950 time period. Can anybody recommend a good reference source for such buildings, please? Did factiries have huge side windows in that period?

On the positive side, I've now completed my little village pub diorama, using a Lyddle End Boar's Head pub, with Kestrel stables and a couple of Lyddle End outbuildings. I've also got the branch terminus station sorted - a converted Peco goods shed, with a much chopped about Ratio station building and a Peco station house.

Next, I'm going to attempt to retro-engineer some S&D Mouldings buildings to make them a bit more detailed and glaze them properly. I have a feeling I might end up scratch building some cottages if I can't do this successfully!

OwL

Running in an HST (Farish) and a Class 67 (Dapol).

Looking forward to adding some people and livestock over the next few weeks.

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

scotsoft

Quote from: OwL on November 15, 2012, 11:52:22 PM
What, no video ?????

Do you need the next few weeks to build up the courage  :worried:  :P

I hope you are having loads of fun running trains   ;)

cheers John.

OwL

Quote from: scotsoft on November 16, 2012, 12:06:53 AM
Quote from: OwL on November 15, 2012, 11:52:22 PM
What, no video ?????

Do you need the next few weeks to build up the courage  :worried:  :P

I hope you are having loads of fun running trains   ;)

cheers John.

Thanks John  :thumbsup: I'm having a great time just playing instead of arm chair modeling, it's great.

Unfortunately no videos as yet for several reasons:

A) Stupidly busy with the day job at present :thumbsdown:

B) Don't actually own a video camera as yet :'(

C) haven't set up a YouTube account yet :confused2:

So videos will definitely be a new year project. This will also give me time to sort through the vast collection of loco's and rolling stock with a few of downsizing. I think I will be selling some stuff that won't fit in with the Old Warren modern era image this side of Christmas. This should raise some funds for a few more class 66's and some EWS rolling stock.

So until the new year just a few camera stills of Old Warren as she slowly becomes populated by people, cars, Moo cows and the odd little cameo I have Planned.

(plus an EWS maintenance depot full of EWS loco's ! :claphappy:)

Watch this space :camera:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

daveg

Last night I unpacked yet another bargain loco. This time from Kernow (amazing price and delivery). This one is a Dapol B1. Having gone totally bonkers, I am also awaiting delivery of a GF shunter and a weathered WD Austerity. :D

The beautifully detailed Dapol comes with a pair of spare traction tyres and some very small parts that my old eyes can hardly see. No instructions what or how to fit. Can anyone please advise?

A light lube as directed and then a gentle run around the main loop. It performs very well but it does highlight a couple of not-so-good joins in the track. The twin front bogies derail at one point that is ignored by smaller locos. Another task on the 'to do' list.

I'm happy to have that list as the jobs and projects will keep me occupied during the tedious winter months.

Dave G

Newportnobby

If you're anything like me, when you get your Dubdee you'll be as happy as a pig in  :poop:

daveg

Cant wait!  :bounce:

Any idea what the little bits are, NN?

Caz

Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

point blank

Newportnobby

Quote from: daveg on November 16, 2012, 08:26:53 AM

Any idea what the little bits are, NN?

Sorry Dave, can't help you there as I don't have a Dapol B1.
I would hazard a guess it's all the buffer beam detailing stuff.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations