what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Trev on August 26, 2013, 03:32:25 PM
The fishing nets on a pole that kids use at the seaside and streams have a good size mesh

Might have to look in the pound shop tomorrow. Teabags used to be good but the modern ones are different.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

port perran

Been having a go at weathering. My first serious attempt.
Started on my short parcels train and initial impressions are that it looks OK.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

davieb

Quote from: port perran on August 26, 2013, 07:57:01 PM
Been having a go at weathering. My first serious attempt.
Started on my short parcels train and initial impressions are that it looks OK.

Soooo.......... Where are the pictures  :D

dave  :thumbsup:

Dorsetmike

Installing an Atlas turntable with motor and trying to make it look a bit more British in outline; painted the decking timber to hopefully look a bit more grey and somewhat scuffed, didn't fancy chancing messing up the mechanism to make a pit; covered the very American looking timber shed over the motor housing with some thin brick card and fitted  more British looking doors. Planning a roundhouse, somewhere between 6 and 9 stalls, cut it from Metcalfe brick card and add etched windows and try and find some reasonable doors.

Next step will be to add a "tarmac" surface between the tracks and add a few other "refinements" - read "clutter"
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

RichardBattersby

Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

texhorse

Unsoldering old feed wires to lengths of Peco track, for reuse on the club layout....

Half of my life seems to be spent holding a soldering iron at the moment.

>:(

Andy
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

texhorse

Tonight I have moved the extention cable and sockets to a permanent position on the wall, so that when I run my British layout, the cable doesn't drape across the American layout, dropping box cars onto the floor!!!!  A long overdue job.

:thumbsup:

Andy
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

Luke Piewalker

Today I re-enpantographulated my 86's.
And put my new tractor in the field.

:bounce:

scotsoft

Quote from: texhorse on August 30, 2013, 08:46:53 PM
Tonight I have moved the extention cable and sockets to a permanent position on the wall, so that when I run my British layout, the cable doesn't drape across the American layout, dropping box cars onto the floor!!!!  A long overdue job.
Andy

I spent a considerable amount of time adding about 40 boxcars behind four GP40 Santa Fe locos in readiness for a long winding slow setup to take some video of.  I decided at the last minute to add a caboose, once it was added I went to apply power and caught the caboose with a finger and talk about the domino effect  :veryangry2:
The only thing left standing on the track was the first loco, everything else was on their side.
I just switched everything off and left the room  :'(

cheers John.

Luke Piewalker

my bête noire at the moment seems to be catching catenary masts either with my sleeve or with the plastic sheet I cover my layout with...  :-[

CarriageShed

Quote from: scotsoft on August 31, 2013, 02:53:31 PM
I spent a considerable amount of time adding about 40 boxcars behind four GP40 Santa Fe locos in readiness for a long winding slow setup to take some video of.  I decided at the last minute to add a caboose, once it was added I went to apply power and caught the caboose with a finger and talk about the domino effect  :veryangry2:
The only thing left standing on the track was the first loco, everything else was on their side.

cheers John.

:smackedface:  You need one of these:  :pint:

texhorse

Quote from: scotsoft on August 31, 2013, 02:53:31 PM
Quote from: texhorse on August 30, 2013, 08:46:53 PM
Andy

cheers John.

I feel your pain, no PAIN, John.  Seems to me that the knuckle couplers on US stuff is too efficient, and doesn't release like the good old Rapidos do!  Usually I have similar clumsy problems.... :'(

:beers:

Sounds good.  Beers all round, in fact.

Andy
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

4x2

I've been a busy bunny today...
On the top circuit of my layout 08 shunters can't get past the brewery as the connecting rods hit the side of the building... :( But not any more ! I've moved the building a whole 4mm sideways, which as it was glued very well it was a real cow to do without causing damage. Now the 08 passes with a few mm to spare.

See if you spot where it used to be...

Then I decided that the entrance to the sidings was a pain as you have to stop the train going around the circuit, before you can do any shunting in the yard.  :doh:

So I decided to remove the point that enters the yard, to allow the upper circuit to keep going whilst shunting. Then add an extension to the yard so that it can be shunted independently (effectively an 'Inglenook' shunting puzzle). Now I can have two trains running and a third bashing wagons in the yard  :) So here's a few pics to show the progress...

Before

After

Slightly better pic of area

If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Newportnobby

Nice to see the improvements being made and, no, I can't see where the brewery was before you moved it :thumbsup:

4x2

Quote from: newportnobby on August 31, 2013, 09:57:57 PM
Nice to see the improvements being made and, no, I can't see where the brewery was before you moved it :thumbsup:
I'll call that a win then ! More improvements on the way...
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations