Musk launches ARK B

Started by Snowwolflair, February 06, 2018, 09:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowwolflair

MalcolmInN

Just been watching it all at http://www.spacex.com/webcast
simultaneous landing of the two boosters,  spectacular or what !! Got to be the iconic picture of the next great leap forward :)
Uncertain at the mo. if they managed to land the centre core back on the drone ship.

pesky badger

Liked the car - 'Don't Panic' on the dash.
Awesome job, even if the centre core is MIA.

Stu

njee20

Agreed, the booster landing was staggeringly impressive, exciting stuff.

Bealman

Amazing. They lost the core booster, but hey, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

What I find equally amazing is that the stupid dummy in his stupid car is up there in orbit - an important step towards getting humans back to the moon and on to Mars.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

The Q

A Nice Norfolk UK Product launched there....

Norfolk Product? yes the Telsa MK1 is built on the chassis of the Lotus Elise built at Hethel in Norfolk...

pesky badger

I hope the American guy that is building his own rocket, so that he can prove the Earth is flat, was watching the video feed from the car - sure shows a mighty curvy curve to the planet.  Might save himself a few pennies and egg on his face. "But it's all a conspiracy I tell ya - everyone's in on it!!"

Stu

Vonzack

Yes, very impressive launch and recovery of the outer boosters, just a lack of fuel apparently cost them the core one. Liked the live stream of the Car from orbit and likewise the SAT Nav display. Well done to all involved.

Cheers, Mark.

railsquid

Anyone planning to replicate this in N scale?  :angel:

daffy

As with Voyager, I wonder if the Tesla Roadster and its occupant will feature in a future episode or film in the Star Trek series. :hmmm:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: daffy on February 07, 2018, 12:59:35 PM
As with Voyager, I wonder if the Tesla Roadster and its occupant will feature in a future episode or film in the Star Trek series. :hmmm:

It will return looking for The Creator, Major Tom :D

themadhippy

wondefull,lets waste a  couple of billion quid putting another piece of space debris into orbit all with  the long term aim of colonising another planet for mankind to ruin.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Snowwolflair

Quote from: themadhippy on February 07, 2018, 02:17:54 PM
wondefull,lets waste a  couple of billion quid putting another piece of space debris into orbit all with  the long term aim of colonising another planet for mankind to ruin.

Hence my reference to the B ARC, although I appreciate this will go completely over the heads of non believers  :D

But the mannequin should have been called Marvin.

NeMo

Quote from: themadhippy on February 07, 2018, 02:17:54 PM

Somewhat gloomy way to look at this. For sure it seems pointless, but it's a proof of concept, i.e., the ability to launch a large object within the budget of a private company.

Moreover, while strapping a car on board was a PR gimmick for sure, the ambition of the company (and hence their need for attention and ultimately investment) is very real. This heavy lift vehicle is a potential game changer, and surely essential if humanity is going to take its next steps into space -- which IMHO it must.

We can't stay on the Earth forever, and the ambition to take to the stars crystallises the highest ideals of our species. We're at our best when we're exploring, taking risks, and finding out what's out there...

The alternative is sitting here and waiting for whatever wipes us out because we've got nowhere else to go.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

themadhippy

How about this for an alternative.Instead of spending billions trying to colonise another planet,that no doubt in a few million years will also be ruined,we use the cash to sort out the issues that are  making earth uninhabitable,or  maybe just wiping  out mankind and giving  nature another go would be best. .
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations