Another walk down Memory Lane (for some of us)

Started by Newportnobby, December 11, 2019, 02:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

up at sparrow fart, breakfast, then make packed lunch and grab a bottle of pop,...

meet up with mates and off to explore ......

back when it got dark, and no drama about 'where the hell have you been?'

and the smell of tar when roads were repaired [properly  >:D] or resurfaced, steam rollers, finally replaced by diesels [now where else did that happen  :hmmm:]

guest311

Airfix kits @2/-

poly bag full of parts, header ...

glue part 15 carburettor to part 16 engine block...

not just unexplained pictures

I'm getting old  :'(

emjaybee

Lego kits at 33+1/2p each.

Blackjacks and Fruit Salads, four for a penny (a proper penny, not one of them enormous things you old gits used to have to move with a wheelbarrow  >:D)

Sherbet Fountains with a liquorice straw, not a plastic imitation.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

martyn

Reply ~29;

Still got my Mamod road roller; an early version with no reversing to the cylinder. Its about 55years old now, and hasn't steamed for about five years.

I had a collection of Playcraft railway, which was made by Joueff; an electric and a clockwork 060 similar to the USA tanks on the SR; a bobo type 1 NBL; a four wheel shunter (not very good electrically) and about five coaches and ten wagons. Still got a few remnants, though not as supplied.........

There was another building system, quite large scale; I think it was called Arcitex or similar, possibly made by Frog. It consisted of large plastic baseboards, with H-shaped rods which plugged into 6-way plastic plugs. Facades were of various design, including plain, windows (with red or blue inserts), shop fronts, and doorways. Flooring was card squares; and there were also stairways and lighting kits, Again, still got quite a bit in the loft........

Martyn

Newportnobby

Quote from: emjaybee on December 12, 2019, 06:42:38 PM

Blackjacks and Fruit Salads, four for a penny (a proper penny, not one of them enormous things you old gits used to have to move with a wheelbarrow  >:D)

My parents used to own a corner shop in Wolverton and had a 'Penny Tray' for kids who came in. As well as the aforementioned Blackjacks and Fruit Salads there were Shrimps, Flying Saucers, Aniseed Balls, Gobstoppers and others (by penny I mean the proper ones - 12 to a shilling :P)
Threepenny bits was not rhyming slang. Tanners, farthings, halfpennies, florins, half crowns and guineas were the order of the day.
Batchelors Dried Peas for use in pea shooters >:D
Frys Five Boys chocolate and lots of Spangles wayyyy before Glamrock :D

emjaybee

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 12, 2019, 08:58:45 PM

My parents used to own a corner shop in Wolverton and had a 'Penny Tray' for kids who came in. As well as the aforementioned Blackjacks and Fruit Salads there were Shrimps, Flying Saucers, Aniseed Balls, Gobstoppers and others (by penny I mean the proper ones - 12 to a shilling :P)
Threepenny bits was not rhyming slang. Tanners, farthings, halfpennies, florins, half crowns and guineas were the order of the day.

Interesting, my Nan used to work in Musket and Tompkins, the newspaper shop bang opposite the main entrance to the works. In the school holidays Mum would drive us over to meet Dad at lunchtime and we'd pop in to see my Nan in the shop, needless to say we always got some sweets off Nan.

Happy days!

Where was your parents shop? There was another shop a lot further down the front, which in the 80's/90's was run by Joe, a very nice Asian chap.
Brookline build thread:

Newportnobby

Quote from: emjaybee on December 12, 2019, 09:10:43 PM

Interesting, my Nan used to work in Musket and Tompkins, the newspaper shop bang opposite the main entrance to the works.

Where was your parents shop?

I often used to frequent that newsagents and also the barbers in that row of shops (Pedleys or something like that). My parents shop was on the corner of Church Street and Windsor Street. I also recall doing Harry Worth impressions in the plate glass window of the Co-op in Church Street ;D

emjaybee

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 12, 2019, 09:18:16 PM
Quote from: emjaybee on December 12, 2019, 09:10:43 PM

Interesting, my Nan used to work in Musket and Tompkins, the newspaper shop bang opposite the main entrance to the works.

Where was your parents shop?

I often used to frequent that newsagents and also the barbers in that row of shops (Pedleys or something like that). My parents shop was on the corner of Church Street and Windsor Street. I also recall doing Harry Worth impressions in the plate glass window of the Co-op in Church Street ;D

You mean this shop?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/KNGXKAikbbWBTw7Q7

My Nan worked here...

https://maps.app.goo.gl/DVArvw3wDdyAoZpC6

I may be a door out, Muscutt and Tompkins had a normal size doorway, but it had double doors in that doorway. My Nan was Mrs Bowler, if you frequented that shop, knowing your era, then you were probably served by my Nan!

Brookline build thread:

Newportnobby

Quote from: emjaybee on December 12, 2019, 09:38:02 PM
You mean this shop?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/KNGXKAikbbWBTw7Q7

That's the very one indeed. If the image was 'captured' in 2018 then it has been converted back into a shop as, at one stage, the shop had been converted to a private house. My bedroom was the side one and that's where I used to pepper passers-by from with my pea shooter >:D

themadhippy

@emjaybee @Newportnobby
Did your school uniform come from maisies ,your electronics bits from caverns,your motor bike spares from  stratford road garage and your fighting in the crawford arms?

And was this the best chippy in the whole of 70's MK? https://goo.gl/maps/drVvSC5STNbppLD8A  along wiih its other shop opposite the works?
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

emjaybee

Quote from: themadhippy on December 12, 2019, 11:15:48 PM
@emjaybee @Newportnobby
Did your school uniform come from maisies ,your electronics bits from caverns,your motor bike spares from  stratford road garage and your fighting in the crawford arms?

And was this the best chippy in the whole of 70's MK? https://goo.gl/maps/drVvSC5STNbppLD8A  along wiih its other shop opposite the works?

I lived and went to school in Bletchley, my grandfather, father, godfather, three uncles and an aunt were in the works so I spent a lot of time over there. I had cousins who went to the Radcliffe, I know all about Maisies and the Chippy. I spent a lot of time in the model shop further along the front, althought the name escapes me for some reason.  ???

I went into the works in 1985 and did 14.5 years. I can remember in the early days when I was an apprentice, if it was someones birthday it'd be over the road to the Queen Vic at lunchtime, six pints in an hour and back to work!  :worried:

In many ways I was very glad when, after the drink/drugs rulings in the rail industry, they got rid of the lunch hour (a pointless thing in Wolverton in those days) and we finished 45mins earlier in the day.  :D  I've never been able to be a big drinker.

I never really went in the Crawford. I had mates in Newport Pagnell, we sometimes went in the Coachmakers, but never in a group less than 3 or 4, and you stayed within sprinting distance of an exit as flowing blood was a regular occurence. Unless of course Andy Harris was with you, he was about 6'6" and built like the side of a house. He reputedly threw someones motorbike over the side of one of those high side hook-lift skips as he was harassing some girls!

@themadhippy what's your connection with Wolverton?
Brookline build thread:

Trainfish

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 12, 2019, 09:18:16 PM
I also recall doing Harry Worth impressions in the plate glass window of the Co-op in Church Street ;D

I often still do this in places where it's absolutely impossible for it to work. The wife seems to break into a sprint to get away from me usually.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

The Q

@emjaybee @Newportnobby

Caverns I remember them, I was living in Bletchley park 1975-76 (being taught electronics ) but went to Wolverton college on block release. Trying to drive down the road when the railworks closed for lunch was highly dangerous as they all came running out without looking at traffic.

emjaybee

Quote from: The Q on December 13, 2019, 08:40:19 AM
@emjaybee @Newportnobby

Caverns I remember them, I was living in Bletchley park 1975-76 (being taught electronics ) but went to Wolverton college on block release. Trying to drive down the road when the railworks closed for lunch was highly dangerous as they all came running out without looking at traffic.

As a child standing opposite the main gate waiting for Dad at lunchtime it was a bewildering sight to see about 1,000+ blokes flood out across the road towards the front. In those days I think there was about 3,500 people in the works. Do you remember the works 'hooter'?
Brookline build thread:

Newportnobby

Born in a nursing home in Newport Pagnell I was raised in Wolverton but, when I was 11, we moved to Northampton. Dad still worked in the Works and commuted. When I was 13 we moved back to Wolverton and just 2 years later back to Northampton. I'm damned sure my parents were just trying to avoid shelling out on school trips abroad ::)
The corner shop was originally owned by my grandparents but when Grandfather died it was too much for Grandmother so my parents bought her out and she retired.
Wherever possible I was on the annual open day at the Works, and much of my spotting was done by going down to the canal opposite the station and walking along to either the turning triangle or the Blue Bridge, where we could see into the Works and watch the Jinties using the entrance/exit line running under the Up/Down fast lines.

You might recognise these although nothing like what was there in my time......

If we still have anyone else reading and they have suitable pics I'd be really pleased to see them.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations