N Gauge Wiki

Started by guest2, June 09, 2013, 01:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarriageShed

Quote from: Pengi on June 15, 2013, 11:43:31 AM
Track planning software and list of example track plans now in Wiki

Well done on setting it up  :thumbsup:

I added a few bits from my own notes, so I hope they're okay. The only thing I couldn't find out how to do was to link references to the links at the bottom of the page. I just left a [1] instead.

Pengi

Thanks Pete - that's great  :claphappy:

I couldn't work out how to do references either  :worried:- I think we may need a specific module to do it
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

CarriageShed

I think you might be right. I tried copying over the scripting format from WikiThickie but that didn't work.

CarriageShed

Would you be interested in building up a definitive list of N Gauge rolling stock on the wiki?

It's just that I have a few odds and ends of notes that could help to start it off, including a Graham Farish release of two different versions of a Coronation Class 4-6-0 loco under the same model number. It's something that I couldn't find any information about until I posted in the forum. Apparently the version I have is quite rare, so there may be other people who end up conducting the same information hunt in the future. I bet there are quite a few cases like this that a good quality list could help with.

Pengi

Yes - definitely. One of the goals is to show everything that has been produced in N gauge with pictures if possible. It is a huge task so any help is much appreciated  :thankyousign:

CarriageShed

Actually it was a lot harder than I expected. I regularly set up tables in html, and it's a lot easier than setting up a wiki table! :goggleeyes: Anyway, I've made a start, and will get around to a few wagons and some scenery when I'm awake again!

The items on the list so far aren't in any particular order. I'll leave that up to you to decide on, and feel free to add any further columns for more information. Perhaps it would be best to divide the notes into production notes and historical notes (related to the real-life version). It might also be a good idea to include start-off lists on the other manufacturer pages to get them started off in whatever final format that's used on the Grafar page (just a suggestion) :)

CarriageShed

Okay, I've added wagons, and done quite a bit of 'improvement' work. At least, I hope it's been improved  :hmmm:  I've broken down the table(s) into categories, sorted the locomotives into wheel arrangement and broken down wagons into broad types. If everyone's happy with the list format now, I'll be happy to get the same list started for Dapol (and perhaps some others).

I also noticed that some edits were made that apparently removed a couple of my entries (probably by overwriting). I'm sure it was accidental, but can we be very, very careful with data entry in the table, please? The format is a little complicated until you get used to it and it seems to be all too easy to make a mistake. The trick to doing it well is to use the 'Preview' button again and again until you're absolutely sure you're happy with it.

Now, what do we do about adding photos?

Tank

Well done Pete, I'll take a look.

You can upload pictures on there as Pengy and I have.  Look for 'Upload a file' on the left.

Pengi

Pete,

There is a section on images in Pengi's quick start guide. The key thing is to make sure that the images are 250kb or less. Ignore where it says you can upload bigger files - it is a lie  :o

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations