Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewalker

Quote from: emjaybee on March 23, 2020, 10:34:24 AM
I fully understand your anxiety.

I'm self employed, I do property maintenance, and there's absolutely nothing available to help me. Stressful doesn't even come close.

Hopefully there will be a help scheme later this week. What is annoying for me is that I can do my work from home, just as well as from the office, but some managers have an attitude of demanding that people are visibly present over all else.

Bob G

I'm self-employed too. I work in the waste management and renewable energy sector. Waste is supposed to be an important sector, right?

I had three contracts cancelled last Friday. About four months work. And I just paid my Professional Indemnity insurance which was £5k (because there have been a lot of claims recently).

Comedy is all in the....timing.

Bob

RailGooner

Check what notice period is defined in your contract - my contract (which is due to end April 6th) allows either party to give one week in notice.

stevewalker

Quote from: RailGooner on March 23, 2020, 11:14:55 AM
Check what notice period is defined in your contract - my contract (which is due to end April 6th) allows either party to give one week in notice.

The trouble is that there is nothing in the contract to say how many hours you get in that last week - which has never been a problem before, because most people were allowed to work it as normal. If workplaces are closed down, many will just get zero hours that week.

Alan Kyte

Quote from: stevewalker on March 23, 2020, 10:20:06 AM
I am a contractor and move from project to project, doing typically 18 months at a time. My current client agreed last week to start home working this week (my wife is "vulnerable" and so I don't want to bring the Coronavirus home). This morning we were supposed to go through the fine details of how we were going to manage it at the office, only I arrived and it was all locked up. Drove home, powered up the work laptop, and found that higher management have decided to suspend all work for everyone this week, while they make plans (and some projects may be put on hold completely). Of course all their staff will continue to be paid full wages, while we contractors will be paid nothing  :veryangry:

It's not as if we are dispensible even; of 4 C&I Engineers, 3 of us are contract and the 4th is off sick, long term, having cancer treatment. If we found something else and walked, any replacement would take 4 to 6 months to work up to an understanding of the systems and the work we have already done!

This!!, just this is the reason why the new tax regulations that have forced me to go PAYE are so unfair, 30% less money and still all the risk, so evident right now in this current climate.

I've just started working an 18 month contract, again home based and my wife is classed as at risk also.
Returnee to Model Railways after 38 years, last time I was 10 and OO Gauge, now 48 and N gauge.

talisman56

About a week before the lockdown muck hit the rotary air movement device, a long-planned and scheculed start was made on replacing our kitchen and converting part of our integral garage into a utility room and downstairs loo.

The work has progressed, to the stage where the floor is ready to receive its layer of tiles - only we can't get any as nobody will deliver them, they're only on shop sale or 'click and collect', neither of which are an option currently, so we are completely stymied.

We're not starving - we have microwave, soup maker and slow cooker available so as long as we can still wander down to the shops occasionally and get food to cook we're OK.

However, this morning, a slow leak in the mixer bar in the shower has got appreciably worse, so I went hunting for a replacement, and found one, and they can deliver - on 9 April!!

Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Bob Tidbury

I had a sad message this morning ,My best mate passed away last night ,I dont think it was Covid 19 as he had been very ill for the passed year after having pnuemonia and being in an induced coma for about two months ,
He had been home for a while then back in hospital ,on and off since before Christmas .
I won't be doing any messages or jokes today .
Bob Tidbury

dannyboy

Sorry to hear that Bob and my condolences to his family and yourself. Always sad when a friend leaves us.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

crewearpley40

Our thoughts go out to you and his family. I would rest and run a couple of trains in his memory

daffy

Do sad to hear of your loss Bob. My condolences to you and may you raise a glass to his memory and remember the grand times you had together.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Delboy

Deepest sympathy at your loss Bob. Thoughts are with you and his family at this time.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Newportnobby

Sincere condolences to your mate's family and friends, Bob.

steve836

KISS = Keep it simple stupid

stevewalker

This morning my wife's uncle died suddenly. He'd been feeling ill with stomach cramps and one of his sons had travelled up to take him to Sligo General, where he had a massive heart attack.

To my wife, he was the most important and loved family member remaining in Ireland. Obviously we cannot attend the funeral and that is making it even worse for her. More importantly neither can one of his sons who is stuck in France.

Not only was he a well loved family member, well liked in the community, known by all as his wife used to run the local post-office (where they continued to live after it closed down), but also widely known throughout Ireland for his fiddle playing - he was performing only three weeks ago.

Under normal circumstances his funeral would have been absolutely huge, but instead there will be a handful.

Death is inevitable, but how cruel to die at this time.

crewearpley40

Steve. From us all. Our wishes, thoughts, prayers and condolences. Stay safe and happy memories. Sure the mods will agree.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations