Upgrading to Windows 10

Started by Mr Sprue, August 16, 2020, 11:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Q

I've upgraded 3 computers to 10, on all of them the upgrade was almost painless except for time, but they turned off my dual monitor system on one computer. So I had to reset that. Remember as usual, to back up all your emails and their addresses first..

Note the Version of Win 10 now is not the one that came out originally, it's much better than it was..

lil chris

I have upgraded two computers too W10, I had problems with one. I upgraded the one in my railway room with the free upgrade when it was available it was a disaster nothing would run and the machine ground to a halt so I restored W7. Anyway later I upgraded my main machine with a clean install and that was ok, so I reinstalled  W10 On my railway machine but this time with a clean install and all is ok. Because I had tried the free install previously I did not have to pay for the install I still got it for free.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

jthjth

Just in case some don't know, it is still possible to download and install Win10 for free as long as you have access to a Windows 7 product key (the number on the sticker on your machine, usually, and it doesn't have to be the number off the machine you are upgrading, any old Win 7 code appears to work). Google "Windows 10 media creation tool " and it should take you to Microsoft's download page. (Do check you end up at a Microsoft site and not some fraudulent look alike)

guest8885

i had little or no problem on the 3 occasions i have upgraded my computer and family
do look very carefuly at the setting after, in particular security
dont let apps turn on camera or mic
disable cortana unless you like that sort of interface,
download ffree pog O&O shutupwin10. you will be surprised how much it informs you
just go for reccommended if not sure.

guest8885

Quote from: jthjth on August 17, 2020, 06:19:10 PM
Just in case some don't know, it is still possible to download and install Win10 for free as long as you have access to a Windows 7 product key (the number on the sticker on your machine, usually, and it doesn't have to be the number off the machine you are upgrading, any old Win 7 code appears to work). Google "Windows 10 media creation tool " and it should take you to Microsoft's download page. (Do check you end up at a Microsoft site and not some fraudulent look alike)
belaric advisor free prog will tell you all about your machine including
product keys . download it foc and see anything that needs attention

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations