Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

portland-docks

i wish they would produce locos as they are now, like bittern in lner livery, mallard with its current number etc
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

johnlambert

Quote from: ParkeNd on March 16, 2014, 04:56:01 PM
Below is a photo of my two latest additions - neither really belong - but what the heck.

"Why is Mallard in the box?" I can hear.  The truth is it is back in its box having been the first of my two slightly early birthday presents I tried. It rattled, growled, and smashed its way round the track until it derailed. Thought I hadn't railed it properly and tried again. Still making a fearful buzzing noise it went off again and the same thing happened. To cut a long story short neither the front pony bogie nor the rear loco bogie will sit on the rails. Adjusting the screws makes no difference - taking the front coupling out (as with Bahamas where it hooked under the buffers) didn't help either. The rear bogie rides turned nearly at 90 degrees and the front one starts straight but is vibrated at an angle before it reaches the first curve.

Sounds like exactly the problem I had/have with my Dapol Flying Scotsman (from the DCC set).

I had sworn never to touch a recently made Dapol steam engine again - look what happens when I do. But in fairness 4472 is a delight.

I must admit I'm wary of any more Dapol steam locos.  I'm certainly not buying any that I can't see running before handing over the cash.

4472 does look great and I really want a LNER Green Flying Scotsman but I'm wary of Dapol steam engines.  Although, to be fair, my Panniers are fine, it seems only big steam engines are the problem.

ParkeNd

Quote from: johnlambert on March 16, 2014, 08:30:17 PM
Below is a photo of my two latest additions - neither really belong - but what the heck.

"Why is Mallard in the box?" I can hear.  The truth is it is back in its box having been the first of my two slightly early birthday presents I tried. It rattled, growled, and smashed its way round the track until it derailed. Thought I hadn't railed it properly and tried again. Still making a fearful buzzing noise it went off again and the same thing happened. To cut a long story short neither the front pony bogie nor the rear loco bogie will sit on the rails. Adjusting the screws makes no difference - taking the front coupling out (as with Bahamas where it hooked under the buffers) didn't help either. The rear bogie rides turned nearly at 90 degrees and the front one starts straight but is vibrated at an angle before it reaches the first curve.

Sounds like exactly the problem I had/have with my Dapol Flying Scotsman (from the DCC set).

I had sworn never to touch a recently made Dapol steam engine again - look what happens when I do. But in fairness 4472 is a delight.

I must admit I'm wary of any more Dapol steam locos.  I'm certainly not buying any that I can't see running before handing over the cash.

4472 does look great and I really want a LNER Green Flying Scotsman but I'm wary of Dapol steam engines.  Although, to be fair, my Panniers are fine, it seems only big steam engines are the problem.

4472 gave me a bad moment just at bedtime. Scrutinising the fiddle yard track to see where to put in a pair of opposed points I found a tiny cross headed screw between two sleepers. 4472 had shed one of the two screws securing the draw bar between tender and loco. It's been pulling 4 coaches by two wires the dia of a human hair!!  It was a right game to put back too. Which other bits didn't the Chinese lady secure properly?

daveg

Starting to worry me re my Sir Nigel that wouldn't run (test run only) through points that other steamers manage without problems.

Don't have any time to work on the loco. Do I return it for exchange?  :worried:

Dave G

silly moo

I've had similar problems with quite a few locos in 00 and N, sometimes it's just the back to back measurement of the bogie wheels that is out. It's worth checking that before returning the loco.

:ngauge:

ParkeNd

Quote from: daveg on March 17, 2014, 07:14:53 AM
Starting to worry me re my Sir Nigel that wouldn't run (test run only) through points that other steamers manage without problems.

Don't have any time to work on the loco. Do I return it for exchange?  :worried:

Dave G

With Mallards front and rear bogies swivelling in mid air as it's driving wheels sat on the rails I imagine a chassis bowed like a banana. The distressing noise the motor made merely added to it's failure. I foresaw it never coming out of its.box again.

Then seeing Flying Scotsman do it correctly just proved the point. It had to be returned for a refund.

Jameswgm

Dave G

It looks beautiful, but sounds like a bag of nails and although it runs relatively well over the points I've had some derailments despite the point work being well laid. My Dapol voyager is pretty noisy, but this is something else!

MattJ

Was at the Nailsea show yesterday, got some second hand maroon Mk1s to go behind my Black Five.

Only thing is, they don't have NEM pockets (slightly olde GF) and as there are quite large gaps between the corridors I'd like them to be more closely coupled, is there any easy way to do this?  They're Bachmann/GF.
They're there for their tea.

portland-docks

if they are spring couplers, just buy some short shank couplers.

all you do is twist the coupler out of its pocket, and replace it with the shorter one, try not lose the spring though as you need to keep that in ;)
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Mr.Grumpy

Front-right in this picture. Whaaahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
N Gauge Dystopian Future: Planning | Construction

ParkeNd

Quote from: ParkeNd on March 17, 2014, 08:09:00 AM

Dave G

With Mallards front and rear bogies swivelling in mid air as it's driving wheels sat on the rails I imagine a chassis bowed like a banana. The distressing noise the motor made merely added to it's failure. I foresaw it never coming out of its.box again.

Then seeing Flying Scotsman do it correctly just proved the point. It had to be returned for a refund.

Hattons have refused to refund the cost of second class return postage - just the price of the loco. I am challenging this.

ParkeNd

Quote from: newportnobby on March 18, 2014, 05:19:08 PM
I should damned well think so, Chris. That stinks >:(

I have just phoned them to make sure they know I am unhappy. They test it by running it  a straight piece of track with no curves!!  Retail assistant consulting with supervisor.

talisman56

It appears that Hattons need a refresher course in the Sale of Goods Act. Which states that the customer should not be out of pocket as a result of an issue with the provision of services or goods. They should refund your postage as well.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

EtchedPixels

Quote from: ParkeNd on March 18, 2014, 05:11:09 PM
Hattons have refused to refund the cost of second class return postage - just the price of the loco. I am challenging this.

If it is faulty goods then as said they are responsible for the return cost (and arguably any other forseeable costs incurred as a result of their failure to provide merchantable goods). I found Hattons liked to forget this but I never had them try and refuse to pay.  If it's not faulty but you didn't like it then the postage both ways is your problem.

If they carry on acting stupid then trading standards, and also your card company. At that point they'll probably wise up.

For various reasons to do with their inability to use the shipping supplier specified and refusing to fix the problem I don't use Hattons. They used to be the best, but I think Rails or one or two of the others have now run off with the crown.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations