NGS Journal 1/14

Started by joe cassidy, February 14, 2014, 08:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprintex

Quote from: Only Me on February 18, 2014, 02:08:47 PM
May enter my Brick works monstrosities then !

[smg id=10306 type=preview align=center caption="London Brick Locos"]

They're very different, would make a good article I think :thumbsup:

Put something together and take some high-res photos (if that one isn't already) and send it in ;)

Paul

CarriageShed

Quote from: Sprintex on February 18, 2014, 09:18:07 PM
Quote from: Only Me on February 18, 2014, 02:08:47 PM
May enter my Brick works monstrosities then !

[smg id=10306 type=preview align=center caption="London Brick Locos"]

They're very different, would make a good article I think :thumbsup:

Put something together and take some high-res photos (if that one isn't already) and send it in ;)

Paul

Seconded. I'm always interested in seeing (reading) what goes into producing customised locos and rolling stock. At least some of those articles will help me one day when I try similar surgery.

I've already sent in an article based on our 'split gears for idiots' thread here, and I might well inflict the Journal with another based on my first loco kit experiences too. Whether such beginner's stories will find a place in the 'new' Journal remains to be seen, but it will be a good test of H's all-roundedness in terms of welcoming articles at all levels.

ParkeNd

^^^^ I wish it hadn't been red but I agree it would make a great well structured article. Go for it.   

I also second NewportNobby's comment about NGS membership. It's not always necessary to support an organisation just for what you can get out of it yourself. Railway modelling and N gauge in particular need to endure into the future and the NGS is a worthy vehicle to assist with that. A bit like contributing to Guide Dogs - you don't have to need one yourself to contribute.

Cooper

Quote from: PostModN66 on February 18, 2014, 03:22:36 PM
Quote from: Mark K on February 18, 2014, 02:54:40 PM
There is a huge degree of difference between getting members to contribute for free and getting professionals used to generating copy regularily and who are paid.

So lets give this new chap a chance and better still those who have something to say on this forum and who are NGS members consider contributing articles. Editors are there to knock stuff into shape so no need to be timid.
Well said Mark.

As I have said further up, I am happy to write an article on any topic associated with my contributions on this forum, If maybe a couple of forum members confirm they would be useful mag content. So far I have had no suggestions........perhaps a subtle hint that none of my contributions so far have actually been useful!!  :confused1:

Cheers   Jon  :)

Finish the fitting of your cement terminal to Deansmoor and take the photo and we'll have a new article to submit to the Journal - LOL!  ;D

NinOz

Quote from: EtchedPixels on February 16, 2014, 08:01:26 PM
I fear also that the change of editor will also be a big step backwards for any PDF version given the response to queries about that digital copies of N'spirations was somewhere between rude and outright hostile.

It's a shame as it would save the society a small fortune offering both paper and electronic copies of the magazine.
<Snip>
And btw.. while I disagree entirely with Grahame on the subject of digital editions I do think he'll make a good job of editing the magazine, even if it's only available on luddite dead tree media.

Alan
Another vote for online.  For some photos in the newsletter I would really love to have a zoom function available.

I suppose that some may have concerns of ease of non-member distribution but there are ways to minimise the possibility.  People who flog paper as a protection may not have heard of scanners.

How the magazine is distributed is not the concern of the editor but of the membership (imho).

CFJ
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

1936ace

Mine arrived today 😃going to grab a cuppa
Bart

red_death

Quote from: Pete33 on February 18, 2014, 10:03:57 PM
I've already sent in an article based on our 'split gears for idiots' thread here, and I might well inflict the Journal with another based on my first loco kit experiences too. Whether such beginner's stories will find a place in the 'new' Journal remains to be seen, but it will be a good test of H's all-roundedness in terms of welcoming articles at all levels.

This isn't really aimed at Pete, but more a general comment about articles on common subjects eg split gears - please don't be offended if any editor (not specific to Grahame) doesn't want to re-run previously covered subjects. My personal view is that there is absolutely a place for this sort of information, but that there may be more appropriate outlets for this sort of article eg the NGS Members Handbook (or the website eg: http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=split-gears) where the information can be added to what has already been published.

I fear also that the change of editor will also be a big step backwards for any PDF version given the response to queries about that digital copies of N'spirations

Another vote for online. 
I suppose that some may have concerns of ease of non-member distribution but there are ways to minimise the possibility.

Grahame has produced pdf versions of both N'spirations eg: http://grahamehedges.moonfruit.com/project-2/4581301958 and DEMU's Update after publication of the paper version, rather than as an alternative.

But the issue is not really about the editor, but about how you control access (if anyone has any bright ideas of simple systems which the NGS could adopt then please let me know) and finally the big issue is how much of the membership has access to electronic media (let alone would prefer an electronic copy vs a paper copy).

Cheers, Mike

(NGS Product Development Officer)

PostModN66

Quote from: Cooper on February 19, 2014, 12:49:03 AM
Finish the fitting of your cement terminal to Deansmoor and take the photo and we'll have a new article to submit to the Journal - LOL!  ;D

I'll get on to it!!!!!!

Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

CarriageShed

Quote from: red_death on February 19, 2014, 11:23:38 AM
This isn't really aimed at Pete, but more a general comment about articles on common subjects eg split gears - please don't be offended if any editor (not specific to Grahame) doesn't want to re-run previously covered subjects. My personal view is that there is absolutely a place for this sort of information, but that there may be more appropriate outlets for this sort of article eg the NGS Members Handbook (or the website eg: http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=split-gears) where the information can be added to what has already been published.

Yep, I realise that another split gears article may not be something that the Journal really requires. Perhaps it's something that really should go in the handbook or on the website instead. It's just that there was a split gears article in last year's Journal that was clearly written by someone who knew what he was doing, and it was written for readers who were required to have an idea what they were doing. As a beginner, someone who's never taken apart a loco to any extent before, it left me scratching my head. I only found out what to do after being coaxed and guided along by members of the forum, and my version was written from the point of view of a true beginner, someone with no foreknowledge of the subject.

I'm sure that the more advanced articles will begin to make more and more sense to me as time goes by, but that takes time. To encourage people like me who would like to have a go but who don't know where to start (and I know there are at least a few on this forum alone), the idiot's guides really need to cover every tiny detail.

Perhaps the Journal could be used to point out the existence or publication of detailed idiot's guides like this if they do appear on the website or in the handbook. Sometimes we need to be reminded of what's available and where. :)

Peter

silly moo

My copy has arrived unscathed   :claphappy:  and after a quick glance through it, I think it looks at lot more interesting than the last issue.

I've decided to renew my membership but instead of having the journal sent here, I will get it posted to a friend in the UK, the costs will be less, the journal will arrive safely and I can look forward to a pile of journals to read when I visit.

:ngauge:

Veronica

fisherman

I def   wanna   an  article  on  the   brickworks !!!

I wonder  if   anyone  has  heard  of   the   ' real   life'  Nori brickworks  which used   to  be  based   near  Accrington....

it  had  its  own railway  with several  small industrial locos....

they  say  the   name  'Nori'   came   from  'iron'....

but   someone  got  the   mould   wrong!!!
<o({{{<<

painbrook

Could not be bothered reading all the pages in this topic, but have read two journals of 'mail train' (please no more), a lot of the problem of course is ours and other Forums, more or less instant knowledge etc.  :whiteflag: off to the bunker now. john.

Roy L S

Quote from: Paul B on February 14, 2014, 09:08:03 PM
....and have a deposit on the next RTR item; the LNER Thompson Full brake coach! http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=thompson-full-brake

Phew! Glad I read back on this thread, thanks for the timely reminder, I had almost forgotten to order mine!

Pre-order form duly completed for mine, will get it in the post tomorrow....

Roy

Dr Al

Quote from: red_death on February 19, 2014, 11:23:38 AM
Grahame has produced pdf versions of both N'spirations eg: http://grahamehedges.moonfruit.com/project-2/4581301958 and DEMU's Update after publication of the paper version, rather than as an alternative.

Has anyone got one? The links don't work....

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Caz

Same here, comes up with downloads blocked.   :(
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77