My local bus stop

Started by Bealman, December 12, 2017, 11:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bealman

It's been a wet year here in Wollongong. My layout has suffered from it, and it continues. Even the trolley at the bus stop has carked it.

Graham

hopefully not too much damage has been done to the layout.

Bealman

It's backscene in the corner of the terminus station. It's been fine for 35 years. Why this has happened this year is probably due to the heavy rains, combined with a compromised garage roof, I suspect.

Graham

same problem a couple of years ago on my layout, had to have the garage roof replaced. curtailed the modelling budget for a year.

Bealman

Eeek! I won't be going to those lengths.

Bealman

UFOs stunt flying under double rainbows  :)

Bealman

Showing me socks off at the bus stop. They've got me oldest granddaughter on em

Bealman

A new weather station.

I know these things aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I love my weather stations. The display unit on the last one carked it, so my daughters got me a new one for me birthday.

I finally got around to installing it yesterday. I mounted it on a galvanized pipe, so it shouldn't rust like the old one on a steel pole in the background.

I've got it working fine, ie outdoor transmits to indoor unit, and I'm actually reading the manual to learn how to drive it. The indoor display:

It looks cool, doesn't it? Well the old one was far superior. For starters, the old sensor in the first pic ran on solar cells. It also measured UV, which this one doesn't. It was possible to call up graphs of all data. This one doesn't do that. To me, this is a major shortcoming. All data was kept on an SD card, and the graphs easily showed the extreme weather events over 12 months.

As I say, I'm only just learning to drive it, but, as far as I can see, you can only get the figures for the last 24 hours before they get wiped. No graphs, just numbers. Pretty useless, when I think about it.

So why didn't I just get a replacement of the first one?

Cos they're not available anymore!  >:(

Train Waiting

Quote from: Bealman on October 30, 2022, 06:37:26 AM

So why didn't I just get a replacement of the first one?

Cos they're not available anymore!  >:(

I'm given to understand this is called progress!

Best wishes

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Bealman

Exactly. That old one was brilliant. Maybe it could be located on the interweb somewhere, but I can't be bothered.

You could program the inside unit to switch off the display at any time you wanted. Then tell it the time to switch back on at the morning. This one has an auto dimming feature, but doesn't turn the display off completely. Crap.

Platy767

Is that the new build in the background? Our next door has just put in a DA for a 2 story + external flat on the block. Looking at the plan it is 1.2m from the fence (less from the eave) and we have to lose about 25% of the canopy of an existing camelia tree that has been there for about 45 years (and the king parrots love it).

Now, that is progress...apparently.

Mark

Bealman

Yes, Mark, that is. When they first proposed it, I put in objections and they were accepted. They kicked it off again though, and won.

So there it is. Luckily, it's not too bad.

Yours sounds like a nightmare!

Platy767

Would you look at that. Between us we're approaching 25,000 posts!
:D

Bealman

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations