Voice of Cycling Paul Sherwen dies

Started by njee20, December 03, 2018, 09:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

I know there are a few cycling fans in our midst, terribly sad to see that Paul Sherwen died yesterday at the age of 62.

Clicky.

Along with Phil Liggett he was the voice of my childhood summers!

RailGooner

Sad news indeed. My most active years on a bike were the 70-80s including some competitive years in the later decade. Paul Sherwen was my inspiration and sporting idol over those years. His singularly heroic performance in the '85 Tour stands as a great exemplar of grit and perseverance.

There's never been a better commentary team covering the sport of cycle road racing then Paul Sherwen and Phil Liggett - not before nor since.

62 is cruelly young too.

RIP Paul Sherwen

Newportnobby

That's very sad to hear :(
Paul and Phil were, to me, the voices of cycling on the telly.

GroupC

Very, very sad news and completely unexpected. Way before his time.

I believe that together with Phil Liggett he made one of the - if not THE - best world's sports commentating teams, not just in cycling but in any sport.

I, and millions of others no doubt, have to thank him and Phil for being a major part in explaining, demystifying and more than anything bringing to life the Tour de France when Channel 4 began coverage in the 1980's... was it really so long ago... - groundbreaking for such a niche sport, as it was then... how times change. I will always remember being inspired to get my gorgeous Bianchi road bike out (which I bought with my student loan!) after watching the coverage each evening (when it was only 30mins a day!!), and go for a ride around Cheltenham and its locale, where I was living at the time. This was long before road cycling was popular and I got more than one adverse comment for being weird etc because of my get-up. But I didn't care (and still don't) because I could hear Paul and Phil getting me going. I can still hear them. Truly the voices of cycling.

Thankyou so much Paul for giving me so much. I still have the Bianchi, and I still ride it, and tomorrow I shall have a ride in your honour. It won't be the Ventoux, it won't be the Peyresourde, it won't be the Croix de Fer but I'll be thinking of you and I'll have a black ribbon tied to the frame in sadness, remembrance and tribute.

Ride well, Paul, you helped change my life.

LASteve

Very sad news indeed, I echo the sentiment that he and Phil were by far one of the best broadcasting teams in any sport, anywhere in the world.

My wife, never having turned a competitive crank in her life, watches the entire Tour de France every year purely because she was drawn into the sport by the way Paul and Phil made the sport so approachable (and helped by the stunning visuals from the telecasts).

A big loss to the sports world.

GroupC

Just been reading some online tributes to Paul... so many people affected. Don't do what I did and listen (by coincidence) to Find The River by REM. You'll be in bits. I was / am.

Vonzack

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations