Sometimes I wish I modelled in 00

Started by silly moo, January 08, 2019, 04:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrism

Quote from: chrismann on January 19, 2019, 01:31:57 PM
Thank you - I had thought about the Jinty, and I may still get one, though my understanding is they were used more for shunting in goods yards and as a pilot at bigger stations, rather than being in regular use on branch lines - I may be wrong, I need to do more research on that!!

I think they were used when and where needed. In the books I have about the Coniston Railway (the references for my layout build) there are photos of several Jintys at Coniston - one on the branch passenger train to Foxfield in 1937 and several different ones on the thrice-weekly branch freight in the late 1950s.

I have an old Farish one (well, their generic 0-6-0T) and I'm happy that it's in keeping for my layout, not least because it's the only loco I have so far that was definitely used at Coniston and will fit on the 42' turntable I've been building. The Fairburn tank will also fit but I have no evidence that they actually went to Coniston - however it's a loco that I do like the look of so what the heck  :)

Train Waiting

These '3F' 0-6-0Ts were versatile little locomotives and, away from yards and stations, could be found on lighter freight duties.  Some were vacuum fitted and could work passenger trains.  Inverness' 7541 was on the Strathpeffer branch in 1939, for instance.  I think that the North London line saw the class used on passenger trains.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

EtchedPixels

I'm finally getting the modelling room as the house renovation continues and I am looking hard at OO and comparing options and space and plans. For one my eyesight is not what it used to be.  (O in the garden would be tempting except that the garden would probably be more suited to modelling a rack railway 8) )

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations