A question for layout exhibitors...

Started by Pjlons83, December 11, 2019, 10:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ngaugepaul

Can anyone give any tips as to how they transport there layouts to exhibitions so that they arrive in one piece.
The roads have so many speed humps, pot holes etc that surely they can get shaken to pieces.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: GScaleBruce on December 12, 2019, 12:24:40 PM
.. Continental Modeller (and indeed the other magazines my layouts have featured in) didn't offer to send a photographer...

Really?  Andy Burnham and a photographer came along and shot Königshafen in a St John's hut for the CM article photos of my layout back in 1997 
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

port perran

Quote from: ngaugepaul on December 12, 2019, 12:52:38 PM
Can anyone give any tips as to how they transport there layouts to exhibitions so that they arrive in one piece.
The roads have so many speed humps, pot holes etc that surely they can get shaken to pieces.
Just by car. I always take glue and some clumps of greenery just in case but by and large everything is fine.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: ngaugepaul on December 12, 2019, 12:52:38 PM

My baseboards are all a standard size. I have hardboard/stripwood endplates for each end of each board, hardboard sides which slot into the endplates and a hardboard top so that I end up with "coffins" which slide into the back of my SUV (and before that into an estate car). The boards are then locked together with metal pins and strapped down for safety, along with stock boxes, toolbox, lighting rig, stools etc.

I've never experienced any damage as a result of layouts travelling in the car or in a van.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

silly moo

I was a member of a club with an extensive N Trak modular layout. The modules are handily designed to fit on the back seat of a car. It's always a good idea to design a layout with the proposed transport vehicle in mind. Otherwise consider using blankets, cardboard, an old mattress, foam rubber or lots of bubble wrap to protect it during transit.

GScaleBruce

Quote from: ntpntpntp on December 12, 2019, 12:56:38 PM
Quote from: GScaleBruce on December 12, 2019, 12:24:40 PM
.. Continental Modeller (and indeed the other magazines my layouts have featured in) didn't offer to send a photographer...

Really?  Andy Burnham and a photographer came along and shot Königshafen in a St John's hut for the CM article photos of my layout back in 1997

Nope, nothing. I was a little disappointed, tbh, because a professional photographer would have had better lighting, a better camera and better lenses for the task. @Yet_Another kindly did the honours for Steinheim.
Bruce
My DB themed layout - Steinheim am Main My BR themed layout - Stoneham Yard My T-Trak module - Güterbahnhof Friesdorf
My SNCF modelling thread - Gare de Ligugé My layout planning thread - Peterhampton Junction

Chris Morris

My 7ft by 3ft 2in layout in the back of my Civic

Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Chris Morris

Jiggling layouts around in the back of a car can't be good for them but so far my layouts have always worked when I set them up at an exhibition. The cold air at night then sudden warm up when the show opens can cause issues; this is especially the case at Stafford where the halls can go down to zero overnight but are about 20 degrees by 10:00 in the morning. You often see layouts that were perfect on Friday night struggling on Saturday morning.

Although I have not done any real damage at exhibitions putting they layout back up at home however hasn't always gone to plan....

Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations