The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themadhippy

M+S will blame the high ground rent being charged by the land owners,the NHS trust will blame the company  they've tendered the site management out to and the site managment will be unobtainable for comment whilst pocketing there wedge from both sides.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

mickeyflinn

My wife worked for the NHS at our local hospital. She used to describe the shop in there as the "Rob-A-Shop" - everything in there was more expensive than you could get at the corner shop let alone the supermarket (unless it had a price flash, but that was generally only on the reading material). As others have said, they've got a captive audience!!

themadhippy

QuoteShe used to describe the shop in there as the "Rob-A-Shop" - everything in there was more expensive than you could get at the corner shop let alone the supermarket
if its run  independently then they aint got the buying power to get the same sort of discounts ,and  often limited space to hold large stock levels.when i briefly worked for the nhs the shop  was run by the rvs,yea prices were a penny or 2 more than the  corner shop,but any profits were spent within the hospital,now that shop has gone,the large foyer looks more like a shopping center with coffee shops florists etc and  profits are disapearing into  offshore bank accounts

guest311

never had a problem with the 'friends of XXX hospital' running shops / cafes and charging a few pence extra. usually any change went into the charity pot, now if some national chain runs it, there is no chance of any donation, as you never know where it will actually go, a charity, or the firms profits.

yes I know,
I'm a suspicious  :censored:

The Q

I suspect the Hospital is charging a huge rent for the premises, like their charges for parking to bring in money from that.. My hate is the fact most Hospitals charge staff to park...

Similarly  the huge prices on motorways for petrol are caused by the huge rent fees from HMG for the service station sites.

Small shops even those owned by the big chains have much more expenses. From the city centre sites being more expensive to rent and rate than an edge of town site (per square foot). To the loads being much less than an artic load, so more expensive to deliver,  to the fact that the number of staff per unit sold tends to be much higher..

Skyline2uk

QuoteI suspect the Hospital is charging a huge rent for the premises, like their charges for parking to bring in money from that.. My hate is the fact most Hospitals charge staff to park...

My best man works in a big London hospital and his wife is a Nurse there.

They not only would have to pay for parking, but have recently lost their passes for public transport. Still at least they got a raise in this Covid mess....oh wait they didn't.

Still at least they got a clap  ::)

Skyline2uk

stevewalker

Quote from: The Q on September 24, 2020, 09:13:46 AM
Small shops even those owned by the big chains have much more expenses. From the city centre sites being more expensive to rent and rate than an edge of town site (per square foot). To the loads being much less than an artic load, so more expensive to deliver,  to the fact that the number of staff per unit sold tends to be much higher..

While that it certainly true, the charges at hospital shops are outrageous - they have a captive audience and they know it.

When my wife had an emergency admission, we had not planned to be there and had nothing with us. She needed a few bits, including toothpaste and toothbrush. The hospital shop has the buying power of WHSmith behind it and 1 member of staff most of the time,  yet their price for a tiny tube of toothpaste was £3.50 - while our local shop, with no buying power sells tubes 6 times the size for £1.50. Similarly, paperback books were priced at over £7 each, small bottles of fizzy drink at £3. They know people can't go elsewhere and they capitalise on it.

themadhippy

QuoteI suspect the Hospital is charging a huge rent for the premises, like their charges for parking to bring in money from that..
the hospital  will be making very little money on the deal,the money is being made by the management company who have the contract to look after estate.same goes for motorway services,owned by the government but operated by a management company.

lil chris

Well very angry last night, thanks  Virgin Media My internet down again For two hours this time, and what now seems to be a excuse due to covid we are low on staff so we can't help you. It seems funny it is always on a thursday afternoon about the same time, it did go off last Friday has well even with a new hub/router. Makes me mad they ask you what fault you have, in my case broad band, then tell you to go online because the are busy and short of staff. The thing is they sent me a new hub but you have to fit it yourself, they do not send a engineer, lucky I was capable of fitting it. They just assume you can ft it yourself, I rung them yesterday and also went online when the network came back on still not heard a thing from them. It maybe time to have a change, too ruddy dear  in the first place. Anybody know a reliable and cheap internet supplier in the northwest Uk.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

guest311

Quote from: lil chris on September 25, 2020, 04:01:07 PM
Well very angry last night, thanks  Virgin Media My internet down again For two hours this time, and what now seems to be a excuse due to covid we are low on staff so we can't help you. It seems funny it is always on a thursday afternoon about the same time, it did go off last Friday has well even with a new hub/router. Makes me mad they ask you what fault you have, in my case broad band, then tell you to go online because the are busy and short of staff. The thing is they sent me a new hub but you have to fit it yourself, they do not send a engineer, lucky I was capable of fitting it. They just assume you can ft it yourself, I rung them yesterday and also went online when the network came back on still not heard a thing from them. It maybe time to have a change, too ruddy dear  in the first place. Anybody know a reliable and cheap internet supplier in the northwest Uk.

when my initial contract with virgin dickheads came to an end, they doubled the charge.
got in touch and said no way, either cheaper or I walk.

funny, came back with a new deal  :veryangry:

when this one finishes, I'm going back to Plusnet.

at least their staff speak english, not 'english' reading a  :censored: script.

left BT many years ago because of their mumbai call centres, told me I wasn't a customer, but couldn't then explain why they sent me a bill each month.

so, for me it's going to be back to the northern  :censored: who do actually help you.

themadhippy

currently on talk talk,been with then about 6 months without any issues,previously was plusnet,only reason for changing was to get the lowest price.Was with bt,but there price was ridiculous,along with them wanting to increase my monthly payments even though i was over a £100 in credit.

stevewalker

I don't think it matters who you're with, they all have problems - just look online at the complaints people make.

In our case we moved from Sky to TalkTalk to get their cheaper TV package - only for them to send a written acknowledgement of order and then when it was getting close to changeover and I'd not received their modem/router, I called and was told that they had no record of my order! The had to re do the order and they messed that up, so after the broadband and phone switched, we found we were on part of their network that could not get their TV service, due to processing the order incorrectly! Many months passed, with being told that things were due to change and we would get it, despite newspaper reports of changes of plan that meant we wouldn't for a couple of years. Meanwhile our caller ID didn't work despite it being shown as active (they did manage to sort that). At another point broadband failed and it took 3 weeks to get them to send someone from OpenReach. At one point they arranged for a Saturday visit, I cancelled the kids swimming lessons and stayed home all day, only for no-one to turn up (despite repeated assurances during the day that they would) and for calls to them to go unanswered or be cut off as soon as I asked to talk to a supervisor. Then someone arrived with no appointment, when we were out and then did the same again 48 hours later! There was no way to talk to OpenReach and the people we could talk to at TalkTalk couldn't speak directly to OpenReach either - everything was by email, across three different tiers of TT. I told them I wanted to leave, but they wanted to apply an exit penalty. I only managed to finally get out, without penalty, when they accidentally connected me to a UK call centre.

We have been with PlusNet since, but are looking to leave them now. The latest problem was our connection slowing to a crawl and even timing out accessing some sites. We tracked it down to our router not coping with an ongoing bombardment of attempts (originating mainly in China, some in Vietnam and the odd one in Rumania) to break into our home server. I phoned Plusnet, explained the situation and asked to change our fixed IP address. I followed that up with accessing the ticket created and attaching logs from our router and a full explanation - noting that we'd had to block the ports in the meantime, preventing us accessing them while away from the house . Two weeks later they asked me was my PC to router connection over Wi-Fi? I told them that it was over Gigabit Ethernet and that, as the logs showed, we were under sustained, external attack. 3 months later, they've still done nothing and I am not willing to give them the chance now.

We also have a problem with the copper here. Every few years it fails and OpenReach have to shift us to a different pair in the multicore. Some times it has just been done, sometimes the person sent has said that he only deals with voice and that's working, so we'd have to arrange another visit! During their latest visit (while I was out) they disconnected my filtered master faceplate (which is technically better than theirs), fed the unfiltered signal on to the first slave, fitted a new master there and fed the filtered signal back to the location of the old master - because their guy didn't understand the (very simple) connections on our faceplate and thought it was connected wrong. I showed him the installation instructions, but he refused to spend more time putting it back as it should have been - the fault turned out to be at the exchange!

Due to the copper problems, I have been thinking of moving to Virgin, but am holding off, because during working from home, the extra load seems to be causing repeated failures for Virgin. Also, they cannot offer static IP addresses to non-business connections and using a Dynamic DNS service doesn't work properly with our domain provider and prevents me connecting from work as they block dynamic services.

Newportnobby

This all smacks of an old couple recently interviewed on the TV who knocked everyone else's broadband out at the same time every morning. Seems they had an old telly and turned it on at 07.00 each day to watch Breakfast telly. I believe it was a village in Wales and the other residents have clubbed together to get them a new telly.
However..............there is a suspicion it is an Openreach problem as it still happened when they were on hols for a week and the new telly had not been bought then :hmmm:

lil chris

That story Mick @Newportnobby has expanded, Piers Morgan has bought the couple a new Tv. The fault is still there openreach was mistaken the fault was not caused by their tv afterall.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

themadhippy

The common denominator across most problems is open reach, only time i've had connection issues was down to faulty infrastructure,internet would drop out if the phone rang or it was raining.4 attempts later they managed to trace the fault to the cable from my flat to the cabinet,but managed to blow my modem in the process.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations