The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

Quote from: Flange Squeal on March 27, 2021, 03:03:48 PM
I struggle to N gauge with this thread.

Are you looking for this thread by any chance?  :angel:

daffy

A local councillor sent out her flyer for a forthcoming local election and I received it yesterday. She claims to have done a lot for the local community over the years. So I start to read the accompanying 'personal' letter to her target prospective voters for her re-election and within a sentence or two I'm no longer taking in the message of her future council ambitions, but getting increasingly irritated by her poor grammar, lack of punctuation, and generally dreadful spelling.
If you want to get folks on your side, at least use a spell checker!
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

stevewalker

Quote from: chrism on March 27, 2021, 01:55:40 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on March 26, 2021, 09:00:32 PM
Whoever invented the 'Mute' button on TV remotes deserves a medal to my mind when it comes to TV ads.

Whoever invented the FF button on video player/recorders deserves a knighthood too - whilst whoever invented the "jump x minutes forward" button on PVRs can have a top rank peerage as well  ;)

I love that feature. Our satellite boxes (running Linux/OpenVix) are currently set up to rewind or fast forward 15 seconds (1/3), 1 minute (4/6) or 3 minutes (7/9). Although I can change the settings.

guest311

at 19.10 this evening, phone cal from Pet scan dept,
'can you make it tomorrow ......'
NO
just about every day this week SWMBO has appointments to be swabbed,  proded, scanned or otherwise invaded.
nearly every day we get phone call from someone who wants to change something or introduce themselves.

she's not even had a diagnosis yet, but we've got the Macmillan nurses phoning to introduce themselves..

and we know what that means....

so she sits down this evening to watch her soaps on tv, for which we have to pay the BBC even though we never watch their  :poop: programs, and just about every channel is pixelated, or not working.

is it even worth bothering to keep living, or are they determined to drive us all to suicide ???

Calnefoxile

Vauxhall Main Dealers  :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:

Took my Insignia in to the Vauxhall Main Dealers in Leicester today for it's 1st service & MOT since I bought it last year, just had a call from them to say that the Service has gone fine, but there are a couple of things picked up on the MOT, front tyres are starting to wear on the inside and there's a nick in one of the rear tyres both of which they have advised to get replaced, also rear pads are down to 30% again they recommend replacement, so as they're advisories I'll take notice of their advisories and think about it........

However my blood was boiled a little bit when they informed me that my front Wiper blades needed replacing,
"fair enough" says I "I thought they might've needed doing",
"Ok sir, we'll replace them"
"How much?" says I
"£53 sir, fitted"
"How Much!!!, I can get a set from Halfords for about £20!!!, has the MOT been done or is it being done?? I'll pop in and get myself a pair and fit them myself"
"I'll have to check sir,"
A minute or so's silence is followed by "The MOT is being done now sir, however I can get the Wiper cost down to £35 fitted"
"Fair enough" says I "That's more acceptable"

But £53 for a pair of windscreen wipers, I mean I have a Vauxhall Insignia, not a :censored: :censored: bus!!!!

Rant mode over.

Regards

Neal.

dannyboy

It always surprises me, (not), that when you complain about the cost of something, quite often 'they' can reduce the price!

Hope things go well for your wife Neal.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Bob Tidbury

Daffy
Its funny that you have just recieved your local councillor flyer with bad grammar .
I have just recieved our local councillors flyer as well and found in one section  a letter missing from a word   and two words missing from another section .
It does make you wonder if they cant even get the wording on their flyer right will they actually get their promises right .
Or dont the printers  employ proof readers any more.
Bob Tidbury

daffy

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on April 01, 2021, 02:27:49 PM
Daffy
Its funny that you have just recieved your local councillor flyer with bad grammar .
I have just recieved our local councillors flyer as well and found in one section  a letter missing from a word   and two words missing from another section .
It does make you wonder if they cant even get the wording on their flyer right will they actually get their promises right .
Or dont he printers  employ proof readers any more.
Bob Tidbury

My thoughts entirely Bob. :thumbsup: In the five paragraph 'letter' the lady candidate sent out I counted (after I'd retrieved it from the bin) a total of 15 errors. :o

As for prufe reeders - it's seemz they is a dyeing breed theese daze. :(
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

jpendle

Quote from: TrevL on March 27, 2021, 03:14:21 PM
This is exactly the place. :D
While we're on the subject, I may as get these two off my chest.
The use of "to" when they really mean too, as in "too many"  or "I went there too".
And another one, and both my sons are guilty of this, "of" when they mean "have", as in "should have".  I might add, they did not learn this off SWMBO or I.

They got the 'of' from Nobby Nobbs in Discworld  :D

All the misspelling and the grammatical errors are due to the prevalence of texting, social media, and forums like this, as a means to communicate with others.
When most of us were younger the level of literacy of the average person was irrelevant when it came to communication. You can't tell if someone said 'too' or 'to', or 'bow' or 'bough', and no one says 'comma' in the middle of a sentence.

As a result there is a tendency to write things down as they are pronounced, rather than as they should be written.

However, I do find it quite disconcerting. when I read a question on a forum, and I can't be sure what the person means because of their grammar and punctuation.
My instinct is to call that person out, but that would be very unkind, so I either ask for clarification or, more often, don't reply.

Then there are the typo's. I've already corrected this post 6 times because I can't type and look at the screen at the same time  :(

Please preview your posts  :thankyousign:

Regards,

John P

Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

guest311

not really sure if this should be in the

angry thread
happy thread
or
what is happening with SWMBO thread  :hmmm:

noticed last night that I'd run out of liquid poly cement, shouldn't be a problem as I always re-order stuff when I'm down to the last one. had a quick look, couldn't find the spare, but more important things to deal with ...

when we got back from the hospital this morning, got SWMBO settled down and started the search for the spare liquid poly bottle, so I could chill out with a couple of wargames vehicles being built.

can't find it  >:(

try the shed

can't find it  :veryangry:

'what's up?' from SWMBO.

can't find my spare bottle of glue so I can't get on with a bit of modeling while you have a nap.

can't you get some from Tesco ?

err, no they don't sell such useful items.

so where do you get it ?

well, the toy / model shop opposite Wilko would stock it, but they're closed due to covid.

can't you get it anywhere else ?

I could order some from Hattons, as it's paints / glues Royal Mail won't deliver it, so it will be DPD overnight, but that's £4.

now things get weird  >:D

so how much is it ?

£3 a bottle, so get two so I've got one to use, and another spare, with the £4 on top.

why don't you order some, and add some paints etc as well to make it worth while paying the postage ?

OK WHAT HAVE THEY DONE WITH MY WIFE  :worried:

normal response would be 'can't you wait till the toy shop opens' now she's authorising extra expenditure on models ?????

so, nice 'worth while' parcel of glue and paints etc ordered and hopefully will be sent today and arrive tomorrow or saturday [DPD seems to deliver every day, not sure even christmas day is excluded]

as I say, perhaps should be in the happy, or even totally baffled thread  :D

emjaybee

I'm up for a 'Totally Baffled' thread.

I'm always nervous about such occurrences. It usually means I'm about to be landed with something I don't want to be involved with.

Or, I'm about to find out there's been some damage to something or other.

Or, she's spent a pile on something.

Or, she's after a favour to do with the horses.

In any event it usually doesn't end well for me.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

talisman56

I had that sort of thing this week as well - chalk me up for a 'Totally Baffled' thread, too.

I had a parcel delivered from a certain retailer in Cornwall and as usual, Mrs Talisman was interested in the contents (a Dapol 'Terrier' (the 9th one for the stud) and the GF Scenecraft Oil Storage Tanks for the curious). The (unusual) response was 'Oh, OK...'

Immediately my alarm bells rang, and later that day our nice and very efficient Hermes delivery lady turned up with two parcels for SWMBO...  (some clothing and more  :censored: Yankee Candles, for the equally curious).
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

javlinfaw7

My son just walked into my kitchen and found an intruder, he asked him to leave but he asked him to leave .he had to be ejected but left a shoe behind  so the police have a dog out looking for him.

emjaybee

Quote from: javlinfaw7 on April 05, 2021, 11:25:16 PM
My son just walked into my kitchen and found an intruder, he asked him to leave but he asked him to leave .he had to be ejected but left a shoe behind  so the police have a dog out looking for him.

Seriously?

Blimey! Are you all okay?
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

javlinfaw7

Yes, we were decorating so door unlocked to get off cuts of laminate at packaging out , Had the cheek to ask my son ,aged 42, to be quiret when he called for the other two of us to come down.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations