The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotsoft

Quote from: newportnobby on December 14, 2013, 09:31:44 PM
Is it bloody Windows Update Week or something ???
I've been getting their updates nearly every day this week. On one day there were 10 of the blighters, just on the evening when I thought I'd shut down the laptop and have an early night. Then, of course, when you next start up the damned things have to be configured :goggleeyes:
Grrrrrr :veryangry: :computerangry: :computerangry:

I had 16 updates the other night, I switch off the screen and speakers then the computer will switch itself off after they are installed.  You should not have to configure anything after an update.

What do you find you are having to do after the updates?

cheers John.

RST

I haven't had many updates.  But Windows 8.1 is driving me nuts. 8 was bad enough -if it weren't for the fact it took almost a full day for the laptop running the upgrade to 8.1 I'd just uninstall it.  I was a big windows fan, much less so these days.

Geoff

Quote from: RST on December 14, 2013, 09:46:36 PM
I haven't had many updates.  But Windows 8.1 is driving me nuts. 8 was bad enough -if it weren't for the fact it took almost a full day for the laptop running the upgrade to 8.1 I'd just uninstall it.  I was a big windows fan, much less so these days.

I have never had a problem with any Windows, I am on Windows 8.1 and it runs fine, I keep on top of my laptop by using Advanced System Care, delete all my temporary internet files and empty the cache, I also delete all my cookies as often as I can.
Geoff

EtchedPixels

I got a Windows 8.1 tablet (for the purpose of getting Linux running on it nicely). It's supposed to have this 6 second boot time - and it really does, except that half the time it's

boot in six seconds
installing updates
[45 minutes,2 reboots later]

Now my Android phone can upgrade entire OS releases in under a minute!
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

ParkeNd

You would all have really loved the update from iOS 6 to iOS 7 then.

RST

I don't have any faults with windows 8 / 8.1 -I just HATE the way it looks and works.  Bring back proper windows!!!

Komata

At last, a 'rant type' thread ( a very rare commodity indeed)

My current 'pet peeve' is Windows Indexing!!  I am currently nearing the end of writing a treatise on a now-extinct gold-mining company. and, because it requires it, have to compile an index. 

Windows indexing seemed to be the easiest and best, and seemed to be within my capabilities ( (and, even better, it was FREE!!). 

Free perhaps, but it has to be one of the most complicated pieces of programming I have ever experienced, with a very marked proclivity to be extremely case-sensitive, and to not actually tell you what the problem is; it leaves you to guess!! 

Let' just say that with 25 pages of indexes to go through and many duplications and 'unexplained' entries (about which I have to guess - as previously noted), progress has been slow - very slow.  Not good at all, and very demoralizing.

Unfortunately, even though they designed the programme,  the Microsoft people don't help very much -  their on-line help desk being unable to solve the various problems which this programme causes!!!  With no assistance from that quarter, it has now become a case of plodding-on and endeavouring to solve the problems one entry at a time.

In the old days all this was called 'character building'; these days its more realistically called 'somewhat inconvenient' - and VERY frustrating... It can make one just a little bit inclined towards being  :veryangry:

However, as I subscribe to the RAF's well-known motto, one continues on, knowing that one day...  (It's just taking a rather-long time).

Here endith the 'rant' - thanks for providing the opportunity to do so...
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Bikeracer

All the constant updates and sitting around while everything was installed and configured and the need to run all the anti-this/anti that software was the main reason I decided to go to a Mac.

I do run Windows7 on a separate partition but it's not connected to the internet so it never downloads any patches or updates.The reason I use windows at all is to run some software that won't run on a Mac and I actually prefer using Windows print facility over the Mac.

Also after Microsoft locked me out of a nearly new XBox I really don't want to support Microsoft any more.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Newportnobby

Quote from: scotsoft on December 14, 2013, 09:44:12 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on December 14, 2013, 09:31:44 PM
Is it bloody Windows Update Week or something ???
I've been getting their updates nearly every day this week. On one day there were 10 of the blighters, just on the evening when I thought I'd shut down the laptop and have an early night. Then, of course, when you next start up the damned things have to be configured :goggleeyes:
Grrrrrr :veryangry: :computerangry: :computerangry:

I had 16 updates the other night, I switch off the screen and speakers then the computer will switch itself off after they are installed.  You should not have to configure anything after an update.

What do you find you are having to do after the updates?

cheers John.

I don't do anything as, as you say, the laptop shuts itself down when the updates are installed. However, the next time I turn the laptop on, it will not open to the login page until the updates have been configured (so sayeth the message). This can at times involve the laptop rebooting itself and then running through the percentages as it configures the updates. >:(
Oh, and I had another update when I shut down last night ::)

scotsoft

Quote from: newportnobby on December 15, 2013, 11:21:16 AM
I don't do anything as, as you say, the laptop shuts itself down when the updates are installed. However, the next time I turn the laptop on, it will not open to the login page until the updates have been configured (so sayeth the message). This can at times involve the laptop rebooting itself and then running through the percentages as it configures the updates. >:(
Oh, and I had another update when I shut down last night ::)

I understand what you mean now  ;)
Yes, those reboots can be a bit of a pain especially if you need to do something urgent on the computer.

cheers John.

IanUK

I just disable Automatic Windows Updates in the Control Panel, and down load them manually when the computers not in use.

As for windows 8 & 8.1 well..its the biggest pile of *$!!. I hate the stupid message "Windows is not responding" well I know that you stupid pile of junk!!  :veryangry: :computerangry:

People say I'm small minded and live in my own little world; maybe their right!

MikeDunn

If it weren't for Windows I probably wouldn't have the job I do  :P

Re the patches - they're once a month unless something really bad is found ...  That's it.  General updates to other things (virus updates, for example) are more frequent (daily sometimes) but it is all configurable ... 

Personally, I let the system flag to me so I can review all the updates before I approve/disapprove any; I don't trust "automatic" ... or Windows 8 come to that.  If I wanted a tablet experience, I'd buy a tablet ...

GeeBee

You think that's bad I've just had a 45 minute run around with Halifax online bank system culminating in a 25 minute phone call that got me precisely nowhere.  :veryangry: :poop:
Deep Joy  :veryangry:

EtchedPixels

Dear gas people,
   thank you for drilling a large hole in the road outside our house at 6am on Sunday morning. I appreciate the effort you went to, hiring staff at difficult hours, paying overtime. It must have take great organisation to ensure that all the pneumatic drills were in full crescendo before 7am before they went off for breakfast.

:veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

EtchedPixels

Quote from: MikeDunn on December 15, 2013, 06:06:43 PM
If I wanted a tablet experience, I'd buy a tablet ...

"They made me use Windows 8 at work, now I'm on tablets"

:beers:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations