Funny experiences at Shows

Started by N Gauge Bob, August 30, 2011, 11:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N Gauge Bob

I was wondering who might have had amusing experiences at shows?

I can tell an amusing story from many years ago when I was at the Gloucester Club's annual show. The then President. Rev Wilbert Awdry of Thomas fame, was sitting next to a Thomas layout chatting to the world and puffing away on his pipe. A rather officious woman approached him and advised him that as he was sitting under a no smoking sign, it would be an appropriate move for him to extinguish his pipe. She than advised him that she had the power to ask him to leave as she worked for the local authority.
With all the wonderful charm he possessed, the Rev'd Wilbert advised the lady that at his advanced age he would smoke where he pleased, and anyway, he said pointing to the sky, I work for a much higher authority than you!!! :smiley-laughing:

There was another which sadly never happened due to his early passing, but when the late Andy Calvert built Moorcock Junction, which is based on Garsdale, the former name being Hawes Junction, it had been intended that when the main line trains stopped at the station, the arrival would be announced from behind the back scene in announcers tones  > Moorcock for Hawes, Moorcock for Hawes<  I was tempted to do it, but never did. Well not in public anyway!! ;D
Remember this:
Amateurs..............built the Ark!
Professionals........built the Titanic!

Newportnobby

Quote from: N Gauge Bob on August 30, 2011, 11:03:57 AM

There was another which sadly never happened due to his early passing, but when the late Andy Calvert built Moorcock Junction, which is based on Garsdale, the former name being Hawes Junction, it had been intended that when the main line trains stopped at the station, the arrival would be announced from behind the back scene in announcers tones  > Moorcock for Hawes, Moorcock for Hawes<  I was tempted to do it, but never did. Well not in public anyway!! ;D

I just don't think I could have done it for laughing, even if I'd wanted to.
Nice post, Bob. Let's hope we see some more :thumbsup:

elmo

At an N Gauge show years ago this bloke tut tuted in a loud voice proclaiming that there were no Hymeks on the S&D. The operator simply pointed to the information board which was right in front of the complainant which had about inch high letters telling you where the railway was set (not S&D) and containing photos of the real location which contained said Hymek.

longbridge

Great post Bob and very funny, my families claim to fame was the Rev Wilbert Awdry Marrying my Mum and Dad at Kings Norton Church in Birmingham.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Newportnobby

Quote from: oldrailbug on August 30, 2011, 01:06:49 PM
Great post Bob and very funny, my families claim to fame was the Rev Wilbert Awdry Marrying my Mum and Dad at Kings Norton Church in Birmingham.

He married your Dad?????? :o

Tank

Mustermark

Quote from: N Gauge Bob on August 30, 2011, 11:03:57 AM
the arrival would be announced from behind the back scene in announcers tones  > Moorcock for Hawes, Moorcock for Hawes<  I was tempted to do it, but never did. Well not in public anyway!! ;D

:smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:
That's too funny!

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

AndyGif

EtchedPixels

Quote from: elmo on August 30, 2011, 12:16:51 PM
At an N Gauge show years ago this bloke tut tuted in a loud voice proclaiming that there were no Hymeks on the S&D. The operator simply pointed to the information board which was right in front of the complainant which had about inch high letters telling you where the railway was set (not S&D) and containing photos of the real location which contained said Hymek.

Depends when anyway - they worked the milk trains on the remaining bits at the end...

Perhaps "Bradbury's defence" should be allowed in modelling circles 8)

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations