Mike Howarth Coach Kits

Started by Paddy, February 29, 2020, 10:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddy

Hi Folks,

I have been working my way through some old NGS journals and came across some LMS coach kits by Mike Howarth.  Does anyone know if these are still available and if so, from whom?

Many thanks

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

honk843

These coaches were discontinued when Farish brought out their Stanier coaches I think. Mike now produces arrange of signals (static) which are regularly advertised on e-bay.

Pity the coaches were stopped as there was a clear shell amongst the other kits which was useful as a base for various sides. But then there is the one from BHE

ScottishModeller

Quote from: honk843 on February 29, 2020, 12:14:43 PM
These coaches were discontinued when Farish brought out their Stanier coaches I think. Mike now produces arrange of signals (static) which are regularly advertised on e-bay.

Pity the coaches were stopped as there was a clear shell amongst the other kits which was useful as a base for various sides. But then there is the one from BHE

Hi all,

I agree - it's a shame (but understandable) that Mike stopped the kits.

I was using the clear bodyshells for a variety of projects but cannot complete them now!

I asked BHE if they had any clear bodyshells available and the answer was 'not at present' so that was another dead avenue to completing some of my coach projects.

Alan - Etched Pixels - https://www.ultima-models.co.uk has a range of coaches listed but I'm not sure what the current stock situation is. But - it only costs time to look at the range and ask with an email!

Thanks
Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

Paddy

Thanks Phil ( @ScottishModeller ) and @honk843.  I thought that may be the case - sad (but understandable) as they would be a good source of kits.

One thing I have realised from reading these old journals is how fortunate we are now.  Most of the articles detailing scratch/kit built items are now available RTR!

Have a great weekend.

Many thanks

Paddy

HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

ScottishModeller

Hi Paddy,

When I started in N the only way to get the different (correct) coaches I needed was the Cavendish and PC Models ranges plus some Highfield Kits.

Even then you needed bits from other makers to complete the models, Beaver Products were a great help!

Then we got the Mike Howarth range and then Ultima and they made things a lot easier for us.

Moving forward, Worsley Works started to appear and, whilst a more difficult build, that improved things again.

Now that the RTR guys have done a lot of the stock, you still need to add the extra carriages to make the rakes more accurate.

Who knows, with the advances in 3D printing, it could all become easier again!

I still want LNER and LMS sleepers in BR B/G so it's always going to need a paint job.

We are indeed fortunate these days. In the past, if I wanted a rake of LNER coaches (in any livery) kits were the only way to achieve it.

The rake of BR, ex LNER Gresley, coaches I built took almost 200 modelling hours and the BR - ex LMS rake much the same sort of time.

Thanks
Phil H

Thanks
Phil Holman

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Paddy on February 29, 2020, 10:50:50 AM
Hi Folks,

I have been working my way through some old NGS journals and came across some LMS coach kits by Mike Howarth.  Does anyone know if these are still available and if so, from whom?

Many thanks

Paddy

I was in touch with Mike Howarth a good few years ago when he was selling off all his stock. Sadly the guy who did his tool making and mould injection I believe stitched him up.

At the time he was selling his remaining stock on ebay, really nice guy had a few interesting chats with him.

PLD

At the time of release, they were a decent kit though took some effort to get close to RTR standards so understandable they were discontinued when the Farish Staniers were released.
I bought a lot of scrap and seconds body parts from Mike and cut-and-shut to produce some other variations of Stanier coaches, particularly the longer length coaches that Farish STILL don't do...

If anyone is wanting any I might be able to cobble together a few sets of sufficient parts for complete coaches from the bits I still have  :)

ScottishModeller

Quote from: PLD on February 29, 2020, 03:51:42 PM
At the time of release, they were a decent kit though took some effort to get close to RTR standards so understandable they were discontinued when the Farish Staniers were released.
I bought a lot of scrap and seconds body parts from Mike and cut-and-shut to produce some other variations of Stanier coaches, particularly the longer length coaches that Farish STILL don't do...

If anyone is wanting any I might be able to cobble together a few sets of sufficient parts for complete coaches from the bits I still have  :)
Hi PLD,

I'm interested!

It's the ex LMS and LNER sleeper bits I would be interested in.

The LMS being the longer ones.

What do you have?

Thanks
Thanks
Phil Holman

trkilliman

I've been making carriages for around 2 years or so now. It all started with the NGS shop sell off, when at the end some LMS/B.R. Porthole sides from the former Ultima range were at a price I could not resist.

I managed to get some parts when Mike Howarth was selling off his stock. These came in useful with some of the etched sides. He had some very good LMS decals I bought from him direct, but sadly all now gone.

I have since bought several pairs of LMS sides/parts from Etched Pixels, although some items in the range have been out of stock for some time now.
Recently  I have started using some Worsley Works etches towards making a realistic rake as used in the Royal Scot around Nationalisation time. Currently building a pair of D1901 12 wheel Dining Car 3rds. This involves soldering of the brass parts, a new experience for me but going well.

I also think that 3D printing will increasingly become another option for those of us wanting the carriages unlikely to ever be produced in rtr.

ScottishModeller

Quote from: trkilliman on February 29, 2020, 05:31:45 PM
Currently building a pair of D1901 12 wheel Dining Car 3rds. This involves soldering of the brass parts, a new experience for me but going well.
Hi there,

Been there and made those very carriages - done in LMS livery for a modeller who swapped with me for some Farish coaches.

At one time I also built some following the David Jenkinson method - they had to match the Cavendish offerings but that was a long time ago!

I wish I had had funds available at the time of the NGS Shop clearance - I missed a lot of stuff I could have used.

Thanks
Phil H

Thanks
Phil Holman

EtchedPixels

I have a box of the 60ft (in 2mm) clear shells/roofs/underframe bits for Mike's coaches that I bought when he was doing his finally sell up. The clear is not great, although coating it inside and out with acrylic gloss varnish helps a fair bit.

I can have a dig if people are interested.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

PLD

Right - apologies for the delay...

I've got:
Complete LMS Period 3 kits:
1x Brake Open
1x Brake Corridor
1x Corridor Composite

Parts:
1x floor
2x pristine CK roofs
2x CK roofs moulding blemishes
1x BSK roof damaged
2x CK seating
1x corridor partition
1x complete but bowed CK body shell used as paint/transfer test.
Numerous part bodies - useful for Cut & Shut projects. Both wide (1st class) & narrow (2nd/3rd class) spaced window sections, 1 brake-end

Open to sensible offers for any of the above. If it's bits you want for a Cut & shut let me know what diagram or what window spacings are needed and I'll try to work out in a few pieces as possible...

Mr Sprue

I spoke to Mike last week, he ask me to wish you all well on his behalf.

I have some roofs floors and under frames somewhere so I'll have a dig around to see if I can find the box.

Bob Tidbury

Ray of B H Enterprises has just got a newer injection moulding machine it's now a question of waiting for the weather to improve so he can sort out the garage and swap out the machines and get the new one plumbed in for water cooling and the electric .
Hopefully he can then get going with the clear sides in several types , roofs and floors ,he has got all the other components for his kits ,once they are back in stock he can produce some spare components so thing are looking promiseing .
A new granddaughter might slow this down a bit so don't expect stock tomorrow .
Bob Tidbury

trkilliman

Good to hear that Ray of BHE has a new machine for moulding.
I reckon the cost of recent and future Farish carriages will prompt more people to try their hand at building their own. Therefore the more that is available the better...IMO.
As 3D printing gathers pace it would be good if somebody was to produce a range of bogies, particularly 6 wheel ones.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations