What Camera Do You Use?

Started by guest2, April 04, 2011, 09:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

We have access to the Tardis  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

mr bachmann

Quote from: joe cassidy on July 30, 2022, 11:50:31 AM
I'll be 65 years old in November and my wife wants to give a better than usual present.

So, I dug out my "bucket list" and one of the items on it was a Leica camera.

I had a look on the internet and it seems that the entry-level Leica camera is the D-Lux 7.

It looks very nice but can anyone tell me whether it is a good buy ?

Thanks in advance.
Joe

if you cant afford a Leica , best save for a rushan Zorki 4  :D .

JanW

The D-Lux 7 is indeed manufactured by Panasonic.
I have the simple Panasonic interchangeable lens version (no viewfinder) and it is a very nice camera.
If you want to use it to photograph your n gauge models test the macro function before you buy it.
I read a review which says macro focusing is only possible in the wide angle setting but I always prefer to zoom in a bit (or a lot).

Jan

Alcazar

I started with a Brownie, moved on to a secondhand Zeiss Ikon Contina and got my first SLR secondhand in my thirties - like @Lawrence, an OM10 with manual adapter. I got quite good with it and above all it did what I wanted. I also have an OM 40, but its battery went flat too quickly.

When digital cameras arrived on the scene, I used to take the company camera home with me - it never did what I wanted. With retirement looming, I bought myself a Olympus Pen E-PL3 kit with two zoom lens. This is an mFT camera, as are the digital OM cameras and I believe some Panasonic Lumix cameras, and the lens are interchangeable. The real reason I bought it though, was that with the appropriate adapter I could reuse my old OM lenses. Unfortunately in all the years I've had the camera, the adapter has never been in stock at any shop I visited.

Still, at least the camera occasionally does what I want!

Peter

JanW

Peter,

My Panasonic is also a mFT camera.
There are many OM to mFT adapters on the market, I found a nice one on Amazon.de:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Urth-Lens-Adapter-Compatible-Olympus/dp/B088C2VY66

It will work exactly the same as the original Olympus adapter

Jan

Alcazar

Thanks @JanW. I also saw the Urth and now I have a recommendation, will probably buy it.

Peter

Lawrence

Quote from: Alcazar on August 03, 2022, 07:46:52 PM
I started with a Brownie, moved on to a secondhand Zeiss Ikon Contina and got my first SLR secondhand in my thirties - like @Lawrence, an OM10 with manual adapter. I got quite good with it and above all it did what I wanted. I also have an OM 40, but its battery went flat too quickly.

When digital cameras arrived on the scene, I used to take the company camera home with me - it never did what I wanted. With retirement looming, I bought myself a Olympus Pen E-PL3 kit with two zoom lens. This is an mFT camera, as are the digital OM cameras and I believe some Panasonic Lumix cameras, and the lens are interchangeable. The real reason I bought it though, was that with the appropriate adapter I could reuse my old OM lenses. Unfortunately in all the years I've had the camera, the adapter has never been in stock at any shop I visited.

Still, at least the camera occasionally does what I want!

Peter

@Alcazar congratulations Peter, I don't think I have ever been tagged on a post from over 11 years ago  :o
For the record, I am perfectly happy with the camera on my Samsung smartphone now, the photographic world passed me by some years ago and my clients these days (the dogs) are much less demanding  ;)

Bealman

I'm a bit like you, Lawrence - I don't even take my SLR with me when I go away these days. Something else to carry, and it never gets used! My phone is my camera.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Platy767

Back in the days I worked afternoon shifts at a full service petrol station (after my day job) to earn enough to buy my Nikkormat FT2, and a Metz flash, and other lenses, but I mainly use the phone or a little Nikon digital these days. I also have an Olympus Pen FV (half frame 35mm SLR) with a couple of lenses that I get out occasionally and exercise the shutter and diaphrams. It's a lovely little instrument.

The Q

I just use my lenovo tablet computer to take piccies of Tiree...
in the past I did use an SLR,
like this one..

I've  not used something as old as a 1853 pattern Enfield as used at Crimea.

But last week I was using a cannon.. and 1898 pattern one.
like this one..

For the 08:00 wake up you lazy barstewards firing and flag raising at our regatta.
it being 10 gauge it's very effective.

JanW

Quote from: joe cassidy on July 30, 2022, 11:50:31 AM

I had a look on the internet and it seems that the entry-level Leica camera is the D-Lux 7.

It looks very nice but can anyone tell me whether it is a good buy ?

Joe

@joe cassidy do you still want to buy one?
I just read that Panasonic has discontinued the LX100II so they will also not produce the D-lux 7 any longer.

https://www.43rumors.com/poll-panasonic-officially-killed-the-lx-zs-tx-compact-line-will-you-miss-them/

There will probably be stock for some time but still.....

Jan

joe cassidy

Thanks for the info Jan.

My birthday is in November so I have a couple of months to decide.

Globibahn

Quote from: Tank on April 04, 2011, 09:14:59 AM
It's not a question of who has the best camera, but an interest in knowing what cameras we all use.  :camera:  I know there are a few of us with super duper DSLR's....but not everyone feels the need to have one.  So what have you got? ???

:NGaugeForum:

I have a Canon 6D Mark 1 but it is quite big and tends to sit on the shelf gathering dust (even with a tiny pancake 40mm lens on).

Therefore my Google Pixel 4a phone is the camera that used must heavily! :angel: I find the quality is superb.

Ditape

I have a Canon 700D and an assortment of lenses, but since I got my Samsung S20 ultra phone it has stayed on the shelf getting dusty, the phone takes excellent pictures and videos and is so much smaller and lighter.
Diane Tape

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations