Dapol & Graham Farish Autocoaches BR Colour Question

Started by N_GaugeModeller, October 22, 2019, 08:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N_GaugeModeller

I have a question regarding the colour of Autocoaches used by British Rail.

Both Dapol and Graham Farish offer their GWR Autocoach in British Rail Crimson and Cream, is that an accurate colour scheme as it was my understanding Crimson and Cream was a mainline coach colour and given that the Autocoaches would be generally used on branch lines would they not have been in BR branch line colour which at the time of crimson and Cream would have been all over Crimson

Is crimson and Cream accurate or should they be all over Crimson.

Thanks NGM
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

You don't need to point out my errors.  Thanks

ScottishModeller

Hi NGM,

This is one of the oft discussed and disputed queries over the years.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42858-br-ex-gwr-railcars/

Has some of the discussion.

I remember seeing them when I was young and visiting down in BR (GW) territory, but never in C/C just in BR Coach Marroon/Crimson.

Thanks
Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

PLD

It is indisputable that at least 2 examples have carried Crimson & Cream in preservation, so models in the livery are 'legitimate' if appropriately numbered.

N_GaugeModeller

Thanks for posting that link Phil

Unfortunately it does seem to be about Railcars not Autocoaches, so not sure if what is said is appropriate to my question. But will keep readingbto the end just in case.

NGM
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

N_GaugeModeller

Quote from: PLD on October 23, 2019, 12:59:59 AM
It is indisputable that at least 2 examples have carried Crimson & Cream in preservation, so models in the livery are 'legitimate' if appropriately numbered.

But what about in actual BR use?

railsquid

N_GaugeModeller

Thanks for that, most helpfull and explains why they are in the non branch line colours.

Thanks

NGM

Karhedron

It should be noted that Dapol have used a rather dark shade of crimson on their original run of Crimson and Cream autocoaches. It looks a lot darker than the crimson and cream collett mainline coaches which it should match.

They have done a more recent run of these but I have not had a chance to inspect the livery on these yet so I do not know if it is the same or has been corrected.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

N_GaugeModeller

On the current batch they have screwed up the cream with it now looking so orange you would think it's been "Tangoed"

NGM

belstone

Quote from: N_GaugeModeller on October 24, 2019, 03:01:04 PM
On the current batch they have screwed up the cream with it now looking so orange you would think it's been "Tangoed"

NGM

Same with the Gresley coaches I bought.  Crimson and cream?  More like maroon and butterscotch. I hand painted the cream portion on one coach which made a big difference.  At some point when I'm very, very bored I'll do the other three.

Richard

Bob G

I find the crimson/cream on the Colletts very bright...certainly a lot brighter than the Bachmann version, but I like the crimson on the B set much better than the crimson on the Bachmann Mk 1 suburbans.

Does anyone know which is more correct?

I'm going to try dullcote on the Colletts to see if they can be toned down a bit.

Bob

N_GaugeModeller

Yes I to find the Crimson used by Farish on their Suburbans to be too dark, well it's a lot darker than the Railmatch BR Crimson i just used to repaint my Autocoaches (not saying that Railmatch are correct though)

NGM

Newportnobby

Certainly Farish have a very 'loose' idea of Crimson & Cream. Much of their stuff looks more like 'Plum & Cream'

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations