General Layout Maintenance

Started by daveg, November 09, 2012, 05:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fratton

Quote from: daveg on November 09, 2012, 08:40:17 PM
I wonder if one of those USB vacs for unclogging keyboards would be any good?

the one i had didn't provide much suction at all and really you were using a brush with a fancy heavy handle,,,

i would suggest a dust buster they can be picked up cheap and i do most of my layout with one, and they era quite kind to stray pieces if you open them carefully and check before emptying into the bin,,,,,,

i find 2 and 3 inch painting brushes usefull too for sweeping,,,,,

all this reminds me that in my recent lack of work on the layout itself i need to have a good clean  :doh:
Charlie.

weave

Hi daveg,

You couldn't hoover up our 2 border collies with your sheep could you?! They're not allowed in the room but the hairs still get in (prob off me). They're not major moulters but still a pain especially when stuck to something you just glued.

No tips, just got hand held vacuum and a soft painting brush. Like the idea of the blusher brush though.

By the way, trainsdownunder, he mean't 'denier', its the thickness of nylon etc. 7 am here so just waiting for the shops to open to get my stockings, blusher and who knows what else.... It is the weekend! :-*

Jerry Howlett

Tell them you are auditioning for the Rocky Horror picture show.... :bounce:
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

OwL

One I forgot to mention that I have seen before.......

Some people use compressed air cans, the type people use for I.T equipment cleaning. You can get these from office suppliers such as staples quite cheaply. The spray can is designed not to be aggressive when the cap is pushed down so the air release isn't a blast of air but enough to remove dust, especially in hard to reach nooks and crannies.

Hope this helps....

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

longbridge

Crikey this is getting interesting, some people suck and others blow, I guess it doesn't matter so long as it gets the job done   :NGaugersRule:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Newportnobby

Quote from: trainsdownunder on November 10, 2012, 03:21:23 AM

I never touch her trowel, filler or blowtorch though.

I now have a picture in my mind I just can't shift :worried:

daveg

trainsdownunder

Quote from: newportnobby on November 10, 2012, 02:13:20 PM
Quote from: trainsdownunder on November 10, 2012, 03:21:23 AM

I never touch her trowel, filler or blowtorch though.

I now have a picture in my mind I just can't shift :worried:

She don't get out much except for Haloween - takes too long to get ready !

daveg

Quote from: whiteswan on November 09, 2012, 08:52:12 PM
Quote from: daveg on November 09, 2012, 08:40:17 PM
Caz, can I use a photographer's brush instead? Please?

Dave G

Be brave Dave, the assistants don't bite, just tell them what you want it for  :)  I don't think the photographer's brush has such a large soft head, but if you're a wimp, go ahead  :P   ;)

The Southern Comfort kicked in so I went for it:

Thanks Caz!

Dave G

Newportnobby

Looks very nice, Dave.
:beers: from another Southern Comfort lover (trouble is I tend to get the air guitar out after a few :-[)

daveg

Just make sure you're well away from anything N Gauge while you play!

I'm planning on major changes to the layout.

I need a load more track in the yard area for coach and wagon storage. Sadly I'm stuck with just the one 6'x2' 6" board so no space in the room for additional square footage.

I'm promised 'lots more space' when we get/find our new place but that's probably in 2014.

Meanwhile; Cheers!  :beers:

Dave G

Flounder

Quote from: whiteswan on November 09, 2012, 07:57:03 PM
Guys, if you can spare your  :-[ the go to a cosmetic counter and buy a blusher brush with a nice big soft head, ideal for brushing dust of locos, buildings and other delicate items, the head is so soft it won't damage anything.  :)

Having chuckled to myself whilst reading this thread, I did manage to persuade front of house to pick me up a blusher brush from Boots a couple of weeks ago.  It is excellent at removing dust from all my locos and rolling stock - wish I'd known about this years ago as it doesn't take long at all.

:thankyousign:

Cheers,
Flounder

Newportnobby

Ah - but does it actually remove the dust or just spreead it around the layout? :worried:

OwL

My mate Tim uses paper and swears by it, i have tried it and it works really well. Its good practice and you can use old receipts / scrap paper etc

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations