A new pseudo-British loco from Kato

Started by railsquid, December 26, 2020, 11:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailGooner

I do think this thread would be better titled "A new pseudo-British loco from Gaugemaster" or even "Another pseudo-British item from Gaugemaster".  I truly believe that Kato's only part in this model is a rather insignificant one, as manufacturer of another one of Gaugemaster's commissions of pre-existing non-UK outline models finished in fantasy UK liveries:

GM2250101... Network Rail Track Cleaning Vehicle (Tomix)
GM2420101... Network Rail Track Cleaning Vehicle (Minitrix)

And even:

GM59... Locomotive Wheel Cleaning Brush (Minitrix)

GlenEglise

Quote from: railsquid on December 26, 2020, 11:08:18 PM
See this PDF - seems Kato are planning to release their generic "steeple cab" electric loco (see here for picture) in a pseudo-British livery (BR black with early crest logo). Release in June 2021. Not going to please the rivet counters, but another step towards UK products...

Comparing the photo of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Class_ES1#/media/File:Heaton_Locomotive_Depot_geograph-2899256-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg and the KATO version for Gaugemaster I think this is an abomination.

Surely we should not have such stuff foisted upon us? Generic approximations went out in the 1970's surely.

njee20

I think any similarity is purely coincidental, they could have got closer to the ES1 with existing products if that was their aim.

Bealman

Yes, looks to me like it's directed at the "toy" market.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Quote from: GlenEglise on December 29, 2020, 02:31:04 AM
Surely we should not have such stuff foisted upon us? Generic approximations went out in the 1970's surely.

Don't worry, I'm sure there won't be a legal obligation to buy one ;).

It's not exactly the first N model to pretend to be something else - I've still got a Lone-Star push a long American F unit in green livery with a BR double arrow logo that seems to be under the delusion it is a Baby Deltic (D5900)!
When I first visited Caboose Hobbies in Denver back in the 1980's, they had quite a selection of what I took to be a Japanese prototype N gauge electric loco for sale in liveries like Conrail and Great Northern.
In addition, I can clearly remember one of the local modelshops here in Ipswich having an HO scale F unit in BR blue with a yellow end for sale in the 1970's too....

njee20

It's definitely not the first, but as has been said several times we shouldn't aspire for what was acceptable 50 years ago!

mickeyflinn

It's a shame it's not cheaper and bundled in a set with some Peco wagons, Kato Unitrack and a controller. It could then make a reasonable starter set for a child - isn't this what Hornby do with some of their generic RailRoad items?
This could make something that was robust enough for smaller hands, and be an introduction to something that could become a lifelong hobby.

njee20

That I'd definitely agree with! If they did it for £70 with a circle of track, a controller and a couple of wagons then maybe. There's a reasonable choice of OO gauge sets around £55-£65.

Bealman

I think people are missing stuff here.

Space is very limited in most Japanese dwellings. N gauge is the preferred option.

A starter set is what it is!

PGN

But it's not a starter SET if it's just the locomotive ...

The need for reasonably-priced introductory sets in N is something my local model shop proprietor has been stressing ever since I've known him ...
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

mickeyflinn

njee20

Quote from: Bealman on December 29, 2020, 09:06:34 AM
I think people are missing stuff here.

Space is very limited in most Japanese dwellings. N gauge is the preferred option.

A starter set is what it is!

Yeah I've not seen anything to suggest it's a starter set. If it was then I'd totally get it. It appears to just be a ficticious loco for £50. It's well priced, but I still can't see it attracting kids (or anyone) to N gauge, particularly when compared to OO gauge starter sets.

maridunian

Here's the standard Kato freight set:

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/kato-k10-504-1.html

I'd have thought their passenger set presented as a British prototype, perhaps based on the Wantage Tramway or similar pre-grouping line, would be quite an attractive product.

Mike

My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Bealman

Oh, ok, I can't get the PDF up on me phone.

I can get the pic, and thought it was a set.

Sorry!  :-[

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations